U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 11:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 4,961,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
...With China growing and Walmart taking over...
Funny you should mention them together in the same sentence. I saw an article the other day that said that Walmart is opening stores quickly in China, has purchased a competitor, and is up to a 9% market share already. It won't be long until they're the biggest employer in China, too. Bentonville, Arkansas will be the new Capitol of the World!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 05:36 AM

752 posts, read 603,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Funny you should mention them together in the same sentence. I saw an article the other day that said that Walmart is opening stores quickly in China, has purchased a competitor, and is up to a 9% market share already. It won't be long until they're the biggest employer in China, too. Bentonville, Arkansas will be the new Capitol of the World!
Hi,

And did you also notice that Wal-Mart is allowing the Chinese stores to unionise? At least the company will afford Chinese consumers the chance to buy domestic, unlike the United States.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 AM

752 posts, read 603,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
For me the Carter years come to mind. 20% interest rates, 12% inflation, 8-10% unemployment. The creation of the "misery index". Iran held hostages and Carter did not know how to handle it (via his leadership he sent a rescue mission in the middle of a wind storm that knocked the choppers out of the skies, killing the crews). The stock market was in the tank, the housing industry was a total bust. The Carter Foreign Policy was void of substance. Americans felt downright crappy about themselves.

Can't blame Carter for it all. Ford was an idiot. Nixon blew the Republican party apart. Vietnam was still an open wound.

If you were too young to remember this, I can't blame you for seeing today as being bad in your mind, but no, what we have today is nothing compared to what it was like to be back there.
Hi, good post. Good perspective. We tend to forget how bad things have been when looking at our current state of affairs. The Carter era is just one of many periods in recent history that we can look to as examples of how bad things can be. The Depression. Pretty bad. WWII. Pretty bad (even though the movies make it look exciting).

But we should also keep the past in mind as we look to the future. The good times never go on interrupted.

As the old Yiddish saying goes "Don't think things are bad enough that they can't get worse".

Old 11-06-2006, 07:39 AM

13,376 posts, read 40,424,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
For me the Carter years come to mind. 20% interest rates, 12% inflation, 8-10% unemployment. The creation of the "misery index". Iran held hostages and Carter did not know how to handle it (via his leadership he sent a rescue mission in the middle of a wind storm that knocked the choppers out of the skies, killing the crews). The stock market was in the tank, the housing industry was a total bust. The Carter Foreign Policy was void of substance. Americans felt downright crappy about themselves.

Can't blame Carter for it all. Ford was an idiot. Nixon blew the Republican party apart. Vietnam was still an open wound.

If you were too young to remember this, I can't blame you for seeing today as being bad in your mind, but no, what we have today is nothing compared to what it was like to be back there.
Hi Dufferz
I am old enough to remember that time, but was indeed much younger then.
I certainly remember the energy crisis, and the hostages.
As un-dynamic as Carter was, he did accomplish the Camp David Accords.
I might be wrong, but I think the rest of the world did respect the USA much more back then than they do now.
I have two sons, and I truly worry about what kind of world faces them.
I eagerly await January 20, 2009.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:05 PM

454 posts, read 651,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Hi Dufferz
I am old enough to remember that time, but was indeed much younger then.
I certainly remember the energy crisis, and the hostages.
As un-dynamic as Carter was, he did accomplish the Camp David Accords.
I might be wrong, but I think the rest of the world did respect the USA much more back then than they do now.
I have two sons, and I truly worry about what kind of world faces them.
I eagerly await January 20, 2009.
The camp David accords did nothing in the long run other than give a good photo op for the parties involved... otherwise there would be peace in the middle east, and the reality was there was not one day of peace.

America was very weak at that time. We were trembling at the thought of waging war against the Soviets, Iran had us feeling helpless, Vietnam has us feeling defeated. Yes, the world loves it when they feel better than they see us feeling. I am not sure I would call it respect. We were the balance to the evil empire, and we were respected by our allies and hated by our enemies.

Once Ronald Reagan put into place the cornerstone of what took down the evil empire, we became the biggest dog on the block. Naturally the big dog get yapped at by the "littler dogs".

Sure there are countries that hate us... until they have a natural disaster and then they gladly accept our money and assistance. There are people out there that wish we would go away, but if they are threatened by a neighboring country, they sure would be knocking on our door asking for the military. If the radical islamic army of France invaded Paris and took over the county, who would be expected to re-storm the beaches of Normandy?

If radical Islam is allowed to expand and gains the foothold in the world of terror that they so evidently want to do, then you should be very worried about all of our sons, and daughters. Imagine seeing daily on the news of where the latest car bombing in America happened.

Yes, I can't wait until '08. We need someone who will continue the war on terror and close the blasted boarders.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:10 PM

985 posts, read 2,565,765 times
the dufferz... when it comes to the war on terror why do just a few of us get it??

Old 11-06-2006, 07:49 PM

327 posts, read 177,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Just got off the phone with my dad and he posed this question. Putting the war aside for a minute. We have a good economy, jobless rate is down, gas has gone down ( although that is greed on the oil companes part). Ok so If we never went to war but 9-11 still happened and we did nothing about it, what would you all think of Bush? So basically, no war, no response to 9-11, good economy and jobless rate down(which was just reported), what are you opinions of Bush then? My dad would like to know this, what leads people to hate Bush.
Excellent question...I am eager to see the responses. Don't forget that EVERYONE agreed that the chances of Saddam having WMD was almost inevitable...and they did find a fair amount, of course you don't hear much about that. Even the Democrats voted to go into Iraq. I respect Bush for his vow to try to keep America safe...I don't agree with some things, but I can't imagine how everything would have worked out had Kerry been elected. Bush has never agreed, disagreed and then who knows what depending upon the polls.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly. That's the game in DC; declare a program that "solves" a problem, make a splashy public pronouncement, tell the people about the great stuff that is going to be done, and overnight, 90% of the people think it IS going to solved, but the reality is that a lot of what is announced is never funded and left to die on the "cannot afford it this year" stack. Now that he has "announced" a program to build a fence, the public demonstrations have stopped and people think the government is "on track" to fix it. No. Nadda. Zip. Ain't gonna happen.

I wonder how many of all the billions he promised the Gulf Coast after Katrina have actually been PROVIDED for the clean up and rebuilding. He got on TV and said that $200B or so would be made available. The double speak out of this guy's mouth is amazing. Made available when, by whom, in what form, with what strings, etc. So far, I've heard about sweetheart deals with out of state contractors, at exorbitant prices. The locals down there seem to be getting little benefit. But he announced a program, and the problem went off the radar screen.

s/Mike
As a survivor of Hurricane Katrina and all of the chaos it produced in and around Baton Rouge, I get so frustrated when people pin all of the blame on Bush. Do some research on the Louisiana government...it doesn't take long to realize that the majority of the problem regarding Hurricane Katrina had little to do with the Federal government, much less President Bush. Even if you are not Republican, throw the President a bone and don't forget that he had to deal with two major disasters (9-11-01 and Katrina) and still pulled us through in all aspects.

Last edited by Kimbercuddles; 11-06-2006 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,166,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
I'm longing for the day when Mr. Newkyalur's lease is up on the white house.

I'm wondering just how does one go about throwing a parade?

At the very least, I am going to throw a party and invite all of my thinking friends. We'll play pin the tail on the monkey. Get a Bush pinata.
I'd better start planning now. I would have to believe finding a Bush pinata willl be hard, but it really shouldnt be, lol.

Do you plan to celebrate monkey boy's departure?
I plan to celebrate his departure by voting another member of the GOP. If congress goes dem then I vote GOP for president between Clinton and Bush they showed that neither party is capable of having full comand.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 PM

Milliebft, I think too few people get it regarding terrorism because 9-11 has been all but forgotten. I wonder which party would win if 9-11 had happened in 2006 instead of 2001....hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies