Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Milliebft, I think too few people get it regarding terrorism because 9-11 has been all but forgotten. I wonder which party would win if 9-11 had happened in 2006 instead of 2001....hmmm
I don't know anyone who has "forgotten about" 9-11. But I do know lots of folks (myself included) who think that the Bush administration's response to 9-11 has made matters worse, not better.

What people have forgotten is the burning of the Reichstagg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Edwards is an energetic, intelligent, charasmatic young man. I think if he had run on top of the ticket in 2004 the Dems might have been a lot closer.
I agree. He should've had the Dems' nomination in 2004. He certainly would have run a more effective campaign than Kerry.

Quote:
Hillary has a good rep - better than most people think she does. And she is a well educated woman with a pit bull attitude. I think out of all the possibles for 2008 that she actually has the most balls..and the best brain. But will her last name help her?? With some, yes, others it will prove to be a big negative with.
Hillary represents everything that is wrong with politics. She is the very picture of a career politician who will say anything or take any stance on any issue to maintain her office.

Hillary spent many years in governore's administration in Arkansas. She then spent 8 years in the White House in Washington D.C. She ten decides to run for Congress...of New York???? Ugh. The Founders must be spinning in their graves.

If Hillary is the nominee for Pres. in '08, there's one thing we can count on: Four more years of a GOP White House.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:30 PM

328 posts, read 240,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know anyone who has "forgotten about" 9-11. But I do know lots of folks (myself included) who think that the Bush administration's response to 9-11 has made matters worse, not better.

What people have forgotten is the burning of the Reichstagg.
I respect your opinion, but it was apparent to me that most people were very supportive of the President for quite some time after 9-11. I'm still curious as to how that would impact the election tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I respect your opinion, but it was apparent to me that most people were very supportive of the President for quite some time after 9-11.
After 9/11, Bush promised results. People supported him.

Then we saw what he actually accomplished. "Disappointing" would be an understatement.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 PM

454 posts, read 906,016 times
Quote:
If this trend keeps up...who knows. With China growing and Walmart taking over as the #1 employer in the USA and our auto industry in the toilet things surely are not looking rosy! Pretty soon the only things "made in America" will be food, aircraft and steel.
I would side with you on much of this except for a couple of things.

1. If the US unemployment rate was lets say 12% instead of <5%, then there could be an argument that our country would be in trouble. Now, I know that all of these people who had high paying jobs are now working for minimum wage at walmart and McDonalds.... right. But, it begs to ask, if all of these manufacturing companies are going away from the US, where the heck is everybody working in the US?

2. Next time you drive by Walmart, Target, Home Depot, any major chain store, look at the parking lot. Full. Why? People want stuff. People want stuff that cost less. You see, its your fault. My fault. All of our faults. We WANT our products to be a lower price. You want a lower price; that means that those huge evil corporations need to make stuff at a lower cost. Who's cheaper; a US factory worker or a Chinese factory worker? To "fix" this problem we could eliminate the minimum wage...

3. In Seattle the Boeing company laid off tens of thousands of employees in the 70's. Someone put up a billboard that said "will the last one leaving Seattle, please turn out the lights" (no joke). A decade later an evaluation was made as to the effect of this layoff. The result? It was considered the best thing to ever happen financially to Seattle. Why? Many of these "displaced" employess actually went out and created new companies. These companies grew into a whole micro economy that helped "boeing proof" the region. Give Americans the chance, and we will create.

I wish that the US could retain more manufacturing, but as long as we all want to earn more, but pay less for what we buy...we get what we pay for.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 PM

454 posts, read 906,016 times
Quote:
After 9/11, Bush promised results. People supported him.

Then we saw what he actually accomplished. "Disappointing" would be an understatement.
wow. I think I might kinda agree with you. Bush has been Disappointing.

The defeat of the Talban in Afganistan and the overthrow of that terrorist state was a point in his favor.

I wont light the fires and flame wars and evaluate Iraq as regards to terror. For now lets leave that be.

Kadaffi in Lybia quit his terrorist policies. That's good.

Give him credit for keeping his focus on terror and not cutting and running when the polls show it is not popular.

Out of his control?
The rampaging political correctness that prevents us from racially profiling travelers. We strip search granny and let a young middle eastern male walk past. That's just stupid by anyone's common logic.

The liberal ideas that we need to give prisoners of this war the same rights as an American citizen. What is wrong with us? Someone who is not an American has NO AMERICAN BORN RIGHTS when they are a prisioner of a war against my country.

Where he has failed on my book.

We are at war. Sorry Mexico. Sorry Canada. Our Boarders are a pathway for very bad people to come in a kill our citizens. Boarders closed to anyone who does not belong on our side of the border. Bush has not performed well in securing the border. He is putting us at risk so he won't hurt Mexico's feelings. I don't care. Close it.

The people on the ground fighting this war have not been given the ability to do what is needing to be done. The military has two purposes. Kill bad people and break things. The politicians need to get out of the decision making process. Bush needs to put as many troops in place as possible. These troops need to be able to do their job without restriction. We need to fight a new war. It will be ugly, but the alternative is not very pleasant.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:46 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Dufferz, a couple quick points..

Unemployment rate is people laid off 26 weeks or less. there are people in Detroit who are still jobless. Some statisticians put the unemployment rate in that area of the country much much higher than 5%. I have heard some areas of Michigan have estimated between 10 and 40 percent unemployment rate.

I think once a person is laid off that they should count in the numbers until they have found another job. Or at least 2 years. Not that they should get benefits that long, but they should be counted in the numbers that long.

Walmart has had enough issues with how they treat their employees, it is very disturbing that a company should short people their break times, pay men higher than women, give people such pathetic health care.. Yes it is great that they provide us with low cost goods, but it is terrible that everything there is made in china or Mexico and you are supporting big corp that treats its employees like dirt VS. shopping at a small business and supporting the local economy IMO.

Part of national security is keeping up the nation's wealth. If we become a nation of unskilled jobless paupers who do not export to other countries to increase our nation's wealth it will eventually take its toll on our every day life.

IMO, we have to fight to keep competitive in the tech world and keep our auto and airline industries healthy and growing. If we cannot do that we will be singing a different tune in 15 years.

you can have 2 economists sit down and debate this till the cows come home and every has their own opinion about the consequences of our increasing reliance on imported goods..but i say if it does not need to happen then why go down that route?

Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Quote:
Hillary represents everything that is wrong with politics. She is the very picture of a career politician who will say anything or take any stance on any issue to maintain her office.

Hillary spent many years in governore's administration in Arkansas. She then spent 8 years in the White House in Washington D.C. She ten decides to run for Congress...of New York???? Ugh. The Founders must be spinning in their graves.

If Hillary is the nominee for Pres. in '08, there's one thing we can count on: Four more years of a GOP White House.
I don't think she will be the nominee - possibly the VP nominee.

NY is happy with Hillary as their senator I see no issue with her being an AR native. She understands the issues there and her views are quite in line with the political environment here, they woud not be so common in red Arkansas IMO.

The problem with Hillary is that while she is very intelligent, she just does not open up to people and let them know what she actually thinks. You are right, she is a poll watcher (which might not be all that terrible considering she is representing us afterall) and does what is best for the party. That said, I am confident that she would be able to make smart decisions for the country. Realistically I do not see her as a presidential nominee, a VP nominee at best or Senate minority leader.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 12,141 times
Smile Out!!!!

I sure hope they all get put OUT! Bush is nothing but a joke! We need to all get out and vote!! Yes I will have a party!!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:58 AM

328 posts, read 240,019 times
Don King is Republican...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies