Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM

31,019 posts, read 22,056,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
STARTUP CULTURE'S LACK OF DIVERSITY STIFLES INNOVATION

Startup Culture's Lack Of Diversity Stifles Innovation | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

I don't have a dog in that fight. I am not an engineer, and never will be. I am a business owner and a freelance artist. I have trust fund to rely on and I am not complaining in any way.

Just reporting to folks what I have read, and heard. There is hidden bias against black people in tech field. There is hidden bias against combat veterans in workforce. I have no solutions, but facts and facts.

I am not trying to argue with you.

Someone (a black start up tech owner once said)"

The bias in Silicon Valley is about creating great companies, solving big problems, making a lot of money, and impacting the world"

"It's clear that there is always a bias," Watson tells Business Insider. "And it’s annoying and it’s frustrating, but you can get around that. There’s also an argument that because there’s a bias, in a weird way, the bias can also lead to some opportunities."

i just hope qualified black engineers get equal chance to get hired, no more no less.
"There is hidden bias against black people in tech field. There is hidden bias against combat veterans in workforce"

As an Aerospace Engineer working for a Fortune 100 company that is not the case at all. If your a Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical or Materials Engineer and you are black you have life long employment guaranteed with my company. As far as Veterans go, even though we are in a hiring freeze the company makes an exception for Veterans and our management is full of former military officers. There is no separation from those who have been in combat or not though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 PM

13,947 posts, read 5,619,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, (some of them) are poor because they are not given enough access to lucrative professions, or at least they are less able to take steps that might lead them to lucrative professions.
Lucrative professions are not "accessed" they are earned over decades of work. Poor people and sustained hard work towards long term goals are mutually exclusive.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You know this how?
Instead of asking me how I know they are not, ask yourself how you know they are. How are nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism not part of the ingrained culture of every American corporation?

Quote:
And why do you believe professional sports teams are (should be) different than
any other corporation?
I told you why sports are a meritocracy - because by being so they make their owners money.

I wish every corporation were a meritocracy. But they aren't.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"There is hidden bias against black people in tech field. There is hidden bias against combat veterans in workforce"

As an Aerospace Engineer working for a Fortune 100 company that is not the case at all. If your a Mechanical, Aerospace, Electrical or Materials Engineer and you are black you have life long employment guaranteed with my company. As far as Veterans go, even though we are in a hiring freeze the company makes an exception for Veterans and our management is full of former military officers. There is no separation from those who have been in combat or not though.

That is your experience. I volunteer at va hospital I KNOW for a fact there is bias against combat veterans.

I dated two software engineers. One Chinese, one white. They both told me there is bias against black engineers. (black engineers sometimes do not get an equal opportunity to get hired in the first place) They both told me when everything is equal, white men get promoted faster.

You share your own experience, I share mine.

I love Bill O'Reilly, but my jaw almost dropped one time when he said there were no homeless veterans out there.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
With all the talk of sports and the comparison to tech jobs there is something you guys aren't realizing.

All those athletes started way back in middle school with athletics and being on teams and playing competitions.
They spent years in MS and then HS getting better and better and then having scouts offer them athletic scholarships and then from college some went professional.

They didn't just show up at college one day and try out and expect to be put on the team.

If anything sports a highly competitive from MS on and very few out of all the kids that play sports ever make it to the pros.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With all the talk of sports and the comparison to tech jobs there is something you guys aren't realizing.

All those athletes started way back in middle school with athletics and being on teams and playing competitions.
They spent years in MS and then HS getting better and better and then having scouts offer them athletic scholarships and then from college some went professional.

They didn't just show up at college one day and try out and expect to be put on the team.

If anything sports a highly competitive from MS on and very few out of all the kids that play sports ever make it to the pros.
Nailed it. My son is trying to be competitive on and off the court - and to do so you have to start early on - elementary school, really - as both of my kids did.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Lucrative professions are not "accessed" they
are earned over decades of work.
I will agree with you there.

Quote:
Poor people and sustained hard work towards long term goals are mutually
exclusive.
Not exactly. I know from personal and family experience that hard work is not always rewarded in this society.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Instead of asking me how I know they are not, ask yourself how you know they are. How are nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism not part of the ingrained culture of every American corporation?
YOU made the statement, it's up to YOU to support it, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Quote:
I told you why sports are a meritocracy - because by being so they make their owners money.
So, meritocracy makes lots of money for sports corporations so that's how they're run but somehow that changes when sports isn't the corporation's business? Stockholders must be thrilled.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Nailed it. My son is trying to be competitive on and off the court - and to do so you have to start early on - elementary school, really - as both of my kids did.
I agree but there's no school sponsored sports before MS.
But yes, these kids are playing organized sports by 5 years old..PeeWee and PopWarner and Little League.

My son loved to play football, baseball and basketball. So we did the rounds from spring through winter.
He lost interest in MS when it became too competitive and less "fun".

Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
YOU made the statement, it's up to YOU to support it, otherwise it's just your opinion.

So, meritocracy makes lots of money for sports corporations so that's how they're run but somehow that changes when sports isn't the corporation's business? Stockholders must be thrilled.
It just means that since the margin for error is much broader outside of sports - if a lawyer, financial adviser, computer programmer, cop, chef, teacher, or dogcatcher gets hurt, sick, dies or just screws up, you can find millions of people to do their job. But if Tom Brady or LeBron James get hurt or bug out, the owners of those ball clubs are SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies