Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,125,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
It has been pointed out to you by several posters that you are not well informed about SS, SSDI and SSI. For that matter I don't think you realize that those on SS also PAY for Medicare. Where do you get the notion that one can collect SSDI if they have a terminal condition?

BTW, I also worked for a living.
I hear you. If you would bother to read the many posts I posted on this thread you'll see I stated 5 times at least I accidentally left the "I" out of SSI. Having straightened that out for the 10th time, I do know what the hell I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
How about back tracking and reading the posts of the poster I responded to who claimed SS is welfare. It would help you make an informed post.
Again, It seems you are advising someone to read previous post in which you've failed to do. Read the posts.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,395,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
"Social Security" is neither security nor workable.

It has a 100% chance of failure. The concept itself is unintelligent and not fixable.
This is just right-wing gibberish.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

An comment replete with ignorance. Shocking.

Mircea
An angry, childish insult.

So typical.

Carry on.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
This is just right-wing gibberish.
In his line of thinking, all "insurance" both public and private, is a Ponzi scheme.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 AM

13,684 posts, read 8,999,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I hear you. If you would bother to read the many posts I posted on this thread you'll see I stated 5 times at least I accidentally left the "I" out of SSI. Having straightened that out for the 10th time, I do know what the hell I'm talking about.
Heck, I've been working for Social Security for 26 years, and I still can't quite get around the various abbreviations. To me, Supplemental Security Income (under Title XVI) is always, in my mind, SSI, but our computers insist on SSID (supplemental security income - disability). The reason for the "D" is that one may also get SSI if one is aged (but not disabled) if they meet the income/resource limitations.

Then you have "SSDI", which is too close to comfort to SSID. SSDI means 'Social Security Disability Insurance' (under Title II, the part you pay into if you work; I refer to it as "DIB", or Disability Insurance Benefits).

Then we have "SSDC", which means the person filed for both SSID and SSDI ("Social Security Disability - Combined").

I see a lot of people herein (including myself) get the terms messed up. Too many 'S's, 'D's and 'I's to suit me.

Perhaps they should be renamed:

"Worker" disability (for SSDI) and
"Loafer" disability (for SSID).

I will note that if I have a case involving a 50+ year old male, filing for only Supplemental Security Income (i.e., not insured for the other kind), I will almost always find that the reason he has not worked enough to be insured is due to him having been in prison. It is amazing the number of prison cases we get (a person cannot receive SSI benefits while in prison, but they file as soon as they get out).

If said male is younger (and, again, not insured), then usually he is an alcoholic, drug addict, or simply lazy. Our judges (in my office) do not look kindly on those who simply choose not to work, but want to be found 'disabled' and paid for not working.

Such is life.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,489 times
Quote:
Again, It seems you are advising someone to read previous post in which you've failed to do. Read the posts.
No, I read the posts. I was the FIRST one to point out you mentioned SS was welfare. Why didn't you address my post then and mention you made a mistake?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,489 times
Quote:
I didn't realize I had to read all new posts to the last page before I comment. I read the newer posts regarding your admission that it was a mistake AFTER I posted.

I was suggesting that the poster read the PRIOR posts before commenting.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
No, I read the posts. I was the FIRST one to point out you mentioned SS was welfare. Why didn't you address my post then and mention you made a mistake earlier?
Read my previous posts and again, you'll see that I admit to making the horrible mistake of leaving out "I" in SSI. Now look, there's a shiny penny.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,737,063 times
I think something has to be done to shore up SS. Never was a fan of SSDI being drained out of the fund. There should be a separate program for that. A worker only has to work 2 years to qualify...just not going to sustain itself. Keep the fund for SS separate and put it back in the locked box. Go R's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies