Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:55 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's a load of BS. Not allow for savings? No desire to save is more like it. It would take less than a year to save $500 at just $10 / week. You think someone making $1,000 a week can't save $10? It's not that most people can't afford to save, it's that they don't want to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:58 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So true.

I find that people who always seem to broke have to go to Starbucks 5 days a week for their $5 coffee. That's a $100 a month right there, would never think to go their local library to get DVDs(many libraries have both old and fairly current films) instead add to their cable bill by ordering movies or doing Netflix. Or instead of brown bagging their lunch spend about $10 a day at least. How about you treat yourself on Fridays to lunch out and the rest of the week bring your lunch? Could easily save at least $160 a month right there.

Amen. I have a relative who works in retail, but via ex spouse has income more than 2.5X that, and she would say I don't have $500, but she spends at lunch and breaks, >$25 a week at Dunkin Donuts, >$40 a week on special formula dog food, >$50 a week at sit down restaurants. And her phone was several hundred dollars, while I got the basic model, despite having a good income.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Consumer society. We all make choices on what we spend money on. I live in NY in Long Island. We pay double digit taxes here. Its insane. The people who save money make due and they still have decent lifestyle. Everyone can't have a BMW and Mercedes in the driveway. If that's what you want then fine, but don't complain that you don't have 500 bucks for repairs. Own up to your choices. There is no such thing anymore as "I can't afford it" in our society. Madison ave had made "everything" affordable in order to max their profits . work in retail making 8 bucks an hour???? No problem you can lease a Lexus..... Make 15k a year on a part time job......??? No problem you can buy this 500$ Coach bag. Things that were reserved for the upper middle class are now commonplace for everyone but at abhuge cost to our savings. Husband and wife have lower middle class salary???? No problem.... Sign here and this Mcmansion Garagemahal is yours!!!!!! Make the deal with the devil. Just remember that he owns your soul(savings).....

Old 01-30-2016, 04:07 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Default Choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Consumer society. We all make choices on what we spend money on. I live in NY in Long Island. We pay double digit taxes here. Its insane. The people who save money make due and they still have decent lifestyle. Everyone can't have a BMW and Mercedes in the driveway. If that's what you want then fine, but don't complain that you don't have 500 bucks for repairs. Own up to your choices. There is no such thing anymore as "I can't afford it" in our society. Madison ave had made "everything" affordable in order to max their profits . work in retail making 8 bucks an hour???? No problem you can lease a Lexus..... Make 15k a year on a part time job......??? No problem you can buy this 500$ Coach bag. Things that were reserved for the upper middle class are now commonplace for everyone but at abhuge cost to our savings. Husband and wife have lower middle class salary???? No problem.... Sign here and this Mcmansion Garagemahal is yours!!!!!! Make the deal with the devil. Just remember that he owns your soul(savings).....

I get the feeling I wasted my time commenting in this thread, or maybe just not the right audience here, but I can't believe all the people who seem to feel that not having any money for a car repair is all about bad spending habits. I mean there is some of that, sure, up and down the economic strata. I don't shed tears over people who peese their money away, but I am no more inclined to bust a poor person's chops for not having enough money to save. We see someone having a latte instead of drinking water and think they are big spenders?

My how the 1 percenters must forever be amused...

Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Default So we thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Not in the Bay Area, unless you're willing to have roommates, and even roommates in SF would be out of budget. You'd have to have roommates in a rough area an hour away from the city.

Lots of us thought my daughter was crazy to think otherwise, but she so badly wanted to live in San Francisco, there was no telling her otherwise. She quit her job in Los Angeles without having another and got another job before we knew it exactly where she decided she would, in San Francisco. Next, she found an apartment in an incredible part of Russian Hill. Tiny, cramped by most standards, but safe and a place she can call home, from where she also walks to-and-from work. Her boy friend soon followed, so he sharing the cost definitely helps, but maybe we shouldn't be too quick to think we can't do better...

As Henry Ford is famous for saying, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

Old 01-30-2016, 05:26 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I get the feeling I wasted my time commenting in this thread, or maybe just not the right audience here, but I can't believe all the people who seem to feel that not having any money for a car repair is all about bad spending habits. I mean there is some of that, sure, up and down the economic strata. I don't shed tears over people who peese their money away, but I am no more inclined to bust a poor person's chops for not having enough money to save. We see someone having a latte instead of drinking water and think they are big spenders?

I don't fault a poor person for being poor. I fault the ones that keep having kids they can't afford,having expensive habits,the latest cell phone, and wasting money on the latest Xbox games. These people impose their bad decisions upon the rest of us. You can walk into a walmart on any given day and see exactly who I am talking about.
That said I have no sympathy for the spoiled rich kid living on a trust fund and blowing it. Self inflicted.
I pity the elderly that believed that SS would be enough.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:46 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Yes, if you can't pay your bills and/or don't have an emergency fund in the bank, you should be drinking water.....TAP water.......or, do like they did in the old days......bring coffee from home in a thermos bottle at a fraction of the cost.

The "Oh, it's just a cup of coffee, or just a lunch, or just a bottle of water for a $1", multiplied by hundreds of times adds up to a decent emergency fund.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:51 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I'm not buying this. I can't get my head around 60% of Americans not having at least 500 bucks in the bank. Just not buying it. Everyone I know in our family people I've worked with I'm sure all have at least 500 bucks in an account somewhere.

These threads come up every so often and again, not buying it.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not buying this. I can't get my head around 60% of Americans not having at least 500 bucks in the bank. Just not buying it. Everyone I know in our family people I've worked with I'm sure all have at least 500 bucks in an account somewhere.

These threads come up every so often and again, not buying it.

I have $132 in an account somewhere.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have $132 in an account somewhere.

Adults working full time with jobs other than minimum wage is probably a disclaimer I should have put in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies