Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I can't put my finger on what american exceptionalism really is. Is there some way that the U.S. is different from all the other countries in the world in some way that makes us exceptional? Are we exceptional in world history for some reason? My ancestors on my fathers side were here during the american revolution so I am no newcomer trying to figure out america from a distance. I once thought that american exceptionalism had something to do with immigration but that would only make us exceptional fools to take in all those people of different cultures that will never get along for very long. So what is american exceptionalism?

Name one nation that is better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
I can't put my finger on what american exceptionalism really is. Is there some way that the U.S. is different from all the other countries in the world in some way that makes us exceptional? Are we exceptional in world history for some reason? My ancestors on my fathers side were here during the american revolution so I am no newcomer trying to figure out america from a distance. I once thought that american exceptionalism had something to do with immigration but that would only make us exceptional fools to take in all those people of different cultures that will never get along for very long. So what is american exceptionalism?
Here is a few items that come to the top.
1. World Leaders in the common good.
2. Leaders in Industry.
3. Leaders in world and home Charities.
4. Tech Leaders.
5. Our constitutional Rights that make every citizen free to create his or her success.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
American exceptionalism from one mans' conservative perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuv0K8H8ILM

Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
The USA is probably the most, or one of the most racially, religiously and ethnically diverse countries in the world, so it's not like there is anyone group you can point to and say those people represent America.

It's not that we as a people are exceptional because we come from all over the world, it's partially our culture, and the freedom to be whatever we want to, due to the guaranteed rights and freedoms we enjoy.

A person immigrates to the US becomes a citizen, and they can go on to be as successful in whatever path in life they seek.

People from third world countries can immigrate to the USA and after assimilating into our society, in a generation or two go on to be immanently successful, inventive and transformative. While the people in their old home country are still living under various forms of tyranny, living under a class system, living under religious or ethnic persecution, or their government has it's boot on their necks and they are living in dire poverty?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
I can't put my finger on what american exceptionalism really is. Is there some way that the U.S. is different from all the other countries in the world in some way that makes us exceptional?
History reveals the difference.

And history is where it was true.

It was individual freedom that created exceptional individual outcomes.

But the political class wants us to be mediocre, and has imposed many roadblocks to impede exceptionalism.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Exceptionalism is the belief we can do anything. There are no obsticles, only challenges to be overcome. We opened our doors to everyone with a dream, and offered them the opportunity to bring that dream to life.

In the past, we had a continent to settle and a nation to build. It took strong men and women with vision to chart an unknown course. There was no blueprint for our founders to follow because what they were doing was entirely new, building a nation from scratch which was concieved in individual liberty. All could aspire to own their own property, all could follow whatever dream they wanted. The success or failure depended entirely upon that individual, not on the collective or king or government, but on the people.

The ideal has been bastardized and degraded, but the dream to succeed, to raise your children as you see fit, to inspire them to greatness, to instill in them the desire to climb as high as their talent and determination will take them.

Most countries exist by subjugating the masses to the will of the minority, and that is being attempted today to bring down these United States to a lower level of performance and expectation, but it hasn't taken over yet.

The individual still has the power to make their own way, to excell or fail, but is given the opportunity to try. Freedom to hold your own opinion, make your own choices, to be able to work around the barriers put up by special intrests and government and still succeed, that is exceptional.

I realize this kind of thinking is antithetical to some, but it doesn't change the fact that there is still an energy out there missing from many societies. Men and Women willing to risk everything for a dream of a better life for themselves and their children. A belief that their work could improve the lives of millions of people around the world, or in their own communities.

The exceptionalism is ingrained into the American character, that there is good in the world, that a single man or woman can have an impact, that there is no challenge we can't overcome. That our strength should be used to better the world, not just ourselves so we spend trillions of dollars sending food and aid to countries that can't take care of themselves. While others follow our lead, we set the pace and that thinking wasn't even around prior to the US setting the standard. It wasn't so long ago that if a country came into yours to give aid, they usually stayed and you became part of their empire.
The US doesn't do that.

Other races and countries have exceptional individual people, usually working at the pleasure of the government, but not as a nation.

Our schools and government used to buttress the belief that you could do anything you set your mind and heart to, to follow your passion.
While that has changed and been replaced by "follow the collective, don't do anything different, the government is only here to help you", there are still a lot of people in this country that can indeed excel, that can indeed shake the foundations of science and art, that can create a busines out of nothing but an idea and a dream, that can move from poverty to unbelievable riches, or from rich to poor. To think for yourself, don't just follow the sheep, be yourself and stand for what is right no matter the slings and arrows of those that would take away your freedom.

Our exceptionalism isn't instituted by government, but codified for protection from the government by the Constitution.

As long as there are people that dream of the impossible, and achieve it, we will be exceptional because the greatness of this country isn't about the masses, but predicated on the value of the individual.

We're still that shining city on the hill that people from around the world look to and dream of.

We as a nation are exceptional because there is nothing else out there even close.

Let the troll flaming begin
Well said. Our history is what makes us unique. Our founders vision is what has made us exceptional. Unfortunately, liberalism and PC is tearing everything down that our ancestors built and they will not be happy with what is left when it has been torn down.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No we haven't.

We've never come close to losing it.

You must live in a different America than I do. My America is still exceptional.
Cuomo was right. There are two cities. Conservatives refused to see it then. They still do today.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
America HAS BEEN "exceptional" until recently...because of our liberties. Not our inventions, or our means..but our FREEDOM. It is rapidly being taken away from us....and many Americans are ok with that.....which shows how unexceptional individuals can be....
Until recently?

How recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Name one nation that is better
That's subjective. You know that.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Temporary. Every nation has had its day in the sun. For now, it's us getting a tan. But tomorrow...who knows. Nations rise and fall.

[enjoy it while it lasts]

Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyu86 View Post
as it is currently used, it's an excuse to act like a vicious, uncivilized brat with no consequences. Most sane people can see through it but then again, it's americans (especially right wing americans) that we're talking about.
qft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies