Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a free two year education for only students that graduate?
yes 36 33.03%
no 63 57.80%
Tom Brady is getting another ring this year 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:41 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually university is hard to get in, but their technical schools are much easier.

Whats wrong exactly with educating people?
Allows for to many people to climb up the economic ladder. Republicans like the population dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 06:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
I disagree. I went to Cornell for my MA and started out at a CC, so I have a unique take on this, maybe.

My opinion is that the average CC student majoring in a health major or hard science major has a higher IQ and infinitely higher work ethic than the average ivy league undergrad majoring in any liberal arts or business discipline outside of accounting.

CC's are where mildly retarded people go to pursue "pre law" and get a 2.5, yes that's true.

But it's also where lower middle class working people send their children to get intellectually difficult, socially important jobs in health care and the sciences at a great price.

RN school is mostly a CC thing and my guess is that the average Cornell undergrad could not handle the workload, physically and emotionally.

My ivy experience was roughly as follows:

brilliant kids everywhere in the serious adult programs (medicine, science, tech)
trust fund kids who played application games in the liberal arts disciplines
"diverse" "urban youth" selling weed to the white trust fund kids, also majoring in liberal arts disciplines
Young Republican Club overweight white guy types majoring in "Business Management" bc their fathers required it to take over the business and remain in the trust.

3-4 genuine public intellectuals who happen to major in liberal arts
Thanks for sharing this.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Stop messing around.

Obama should just sign an Exectuive Order giving every single American (including Illegals of course) $100,000.

How could the GOP oppose it? They will be on the take too.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No details yet. But good news..free 2 year college education for all.
Just need to keep "moderate grades" is all he's asking.

Hoo Ya..I'm going back to college
FYI..I love taking classes and would go to the local CC for a 2 year degree..maybe business, maybe accounting.

It's not limited to teens either. Obama said ALL. I wonder if that includes the illegals.

Obama proposes free community college program
The White House on Thursday announced a proposal that President Barack Obama said would make community college "free for everybody who is willing to work for it." But administration officials provided no details about the program's costs or where the money would come to pay for it.

"It's not just for kids," Obama said. "We also have to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages, better benefits."
Obama planned to formally announce the plan Friday at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, Tennessee. He gave a preview in a videotaped message shot aboard Air Force One and posted on Facebook.
This is great NEWS!

Next year I will be 67 years old, retired and looking for something to occupy my time. Why not learn the new national language Spanish? Hey, cheaper than Rosetta Stone!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
After reading up on it, I'm down for it. Hell, it's about time we do some investing in Americans for a change.

No one seemed to care about the cost of "liberating" Iraq.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
I just want to commend all of the professors who will be teaching for free and all of the rich people and corporations who voluntarily offered to pay for the campus expansions, upkeep and utilities.

Wait, I'm assuming this it true due to the "free" reference, because if taxpayers are picking up the bill, it's not free, it's just subsidized by others, like me.

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 01-09-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Allows for to many people to climb up the economic ladder. Republicans like the population dumb.
Wow, you don't know the difference between dumb and uneducated. I guess we know where you fall in those two groups.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
After reading up on it, I'm down for it. Hell, it's about time we do some investing in Americans for a change.

No one seemed to care about the cost of "liberating" Iraq.
We send $58 billion a year to various countries, some under dictatorship, to buy "friendship" and let them buy guns,etc. or let their dictators live a luxurious lifestyle.

Even China,and Cuba come to us for annual handouts. How's that for irony ?

We need to stop that and invest in us first.

ForeignAssistance.gov

Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
Just need to keep "moderate grades" is all he's asking.

Hoo Ya..I'm going back to college
FYI..I love taking classes and would go to the local CC for a 2 year degree..maybe business, maybe accounting.

It's not limited to teens either. Obama said ALL. I wonder if that includes the illegals.

Obama proposes free community college program
The White House on Thursday announced a proposal that President Barack Obama said would make community college "free for everybody who is willing to work for it." But administration officials provided no details about the program's costs or where the money would come to pay for it.

"It's not just for kids," Obama said. "We also have to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages, better benefits."
Obama planned to formally announce the plan Friday at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, Tennessee. He gave a preview in a videotaped message shot aboard Air Force One and posted on Facebook.

who pays for this???
on wait
WE DO
he will do anything to buy votes for 2016
hell take this out of HIS pay!!!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
We send $58 billion a year to various countries, some under dictatorship, to buy "friendship" and let them buy guns,etc. or let their dictators live a luxurious lifestyle.

Even China,and Cuba come to us for annual handouts. How's that for irony ?

We need to stop that and invest in us first.

ForeignAssistance.gov
We can stop foreign aid without spending the same on bad obama's bad ideas.

Here is a thought, cut foreign aid and reduce the growth of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies