Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a free two year education for only students that graduate?
yes 36 33.03%
no 63 57.80%
Tom Brady is getting another ring this year 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I wonder what tax he is going to raise or create to PAY for this!
Remember TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!
So, where is the money going to come from to pay for this?
It will replace and reduce pell grant costs and other forms of public student loans. It is a shell game with actual savings as it is 2k a year vs 15k a year. You need eight to one community college students to university students to have a virtual equal rate. I doubt you'll wee that. No free lunch required, especially because you have terms and conditions including GPA of 2.5 and degree progress so it isn't like you take a bunch of pointless electives on the public dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 05:55 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I actually like the idea of making CC free. It's paid for by the local counties, and is certainly far cheaper to spend two years there, and then transfer to a university to finish up a degree.

It will create competition for tuitions, and competition always translates into cheaper pricing.

We've had this in SoCal for decades. It's called SCROC here. That's where I learned to weld when I was 17, where my duaghter learned IT/CD when she was 17, and my youngest son learned something (still not sure ) when he was 16.

How will more buyers competing for the same product translate into lower prices?

This may be a good thing for a lot of reasons, but cutting tuition costs will not be one of them.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:01 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are. I'm retired and on a pension.

I just checked the local CC here.

A 2 year AAS degree in small business mgmt would cost about $6K..just tuition credits.
You don't pay taxes on your pension?

I'm also retired and collect a pension and SS, as does my husband, and we pay a good amount of income taxes on those. I also pay taxes, Medicare and SS on the money I make from my consulting work.

And what would you plan to do with that AA degree once you're finished with it?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

I'm also retired and collect a pension and SS, as does my husband, and we pay a good amount of income taxes on those. I also pay taxes, Medicare and SS on the money I make from my consulting work.

Why would she have to plan to do anything with it? It is free. She can take the classes for entertainment purposes. I might just take some auto repair classes or a/c courses. I do not plan to actually pass the classes. That would be work.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:10 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
If the taxpayers are going to pick up the tab, what incentive do the state universities (or any institution with a two year program) have to keep prices down?

This is a gift to the democrat party's paymasters in the teachers unions. Nothing else.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Yes they take taxes out of my pension but I get them all back

Uncle Sam thinks I'm poor.
Remember..income tax is tax on INCOME.
I went Galt and made sure I make very little INCOME.

I don't have to do anything with that degree.
I like going to school and business has always interested me.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why would she have to plan to do anything with it? It is free. She can take the classes for entertainment purposes. I might just take some auto repair classes or a/c courses. I do not plan to actually pass the classes. That would be work.
Not exactly. The program requires you to hold a 2.5 GPA and make degree progress. So if your auto repair class isn't to an auto repairs associates you may not be able to or if you already have your humanities credit and not doing a humanities or cinema major, taking Cinema/Humanities 200 is going to raise a red flag as well. This is why it isn't a free lunch. A free lunch would imply that they were getting the money to take the classes, no questions asked which the plan does not and has a few conditions to satisfy.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not exactly. The program requires you to hold a 2.5 GPA and make degree progress. So if your auto repair class isn't to an auto repairs associates you may not be able to or if you already have your humanities credit and not doing a humanities or cinema major, taking Cinema/Humanities 200 is going to raise a red flag as well. This is why it isn't a free lunch. A free lunch would imply that they were getting the money to take the classes, no questions asked which the plan does not and has a few conditions to satisfy.
They have 1 year certificate programs that require no humanities or sciences..strictly tradeskill classes.
Auto repair would fall under that. But you do have to pass.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They have 1 year certificate programs that require no humanities or sciences..strictly tradeskill classes.
Auto repair would fall under that. But you do have to pass.
I didn't realize the certificate programs fell in there. The point I was making was the courses couldn't be all joke courses for a semester and you have to pass so if it is a free lunch, it is a free lunch with conditions and limitations.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:05 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes. You aren't writing your own work to submit, but you are contributing to works of others. You gain tacit knowledge and skills by working with higher level students so that you are better prepared when it's your turn. It's the same idea as sitting next to a pilot when you're learning how to fly. You can't just read a textbook, take an exam, and then fly a plane. You need that tacit knowledge that only comes from working with others.

That's why college students (typically after the first semester) spend so much time in research labs.
No they don't. Where are you getting this info from. The first year or two is basically getting your gen ed classes done with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies