Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
You are a person but also a citizen, whether you like it or not, until you renounce your US citizenship.

The US Constitution does not mention citizen once. Citizens do not have rights, only people do. Citizen is the federal governments code word for subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:37 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Taxes aren't slavery either. To pay taxes, one must have income and the common income is through wages, which you only get paid if you work. Is anyone forcing you to work? If you were being forced to work to pay the government then it would but it isn't. This is just right-wing Koch brother libertarian rhetoric.

The MAFIA works the same way.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Must be tax season, we always see this uptick in complaining about having to pay taxes during tax season. Or is this thread about a specific tax?
MUST be tax season? So you don't pay taxes but think others should pay more.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Taxes aren't slavery either. To pay taxes, one must have income and the common income is through wages, which you only get paid if you work. Is anyone forcing you to work? If you were being forced to work to pay the government then it would but it isn't. This is just right-wing Koch brother libertarian rhetoric.
the income tax system gives the U.S. government “the prerogative to reach into people’s pockets and claim as much money as it pleases before they have a chance to decide anything about it.”

If you and I made an agreement that gave me the power to control the use of a certain percentage of your income, to be decided by me, in principle how much of your income do I control? In principle I control all of it, of course. This is the power the income tax places in the hands of those who control the U.S. government at any given time. Therefore, it makes sense for them to speak as if every cent of the people’s income belongs to the government. In principle, and for as long as the income tax system remains in place, it does.

Government will take as much as possible without causing an uprise.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:30 AM

Taxes are also used to control people. sin taxes - alcohol, tobacco, gas guzzlers, targeting rich people than they were at targeting sinners.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Taxes are also used to control people.
I do not think that way......I wonder why others do.

There are pages of laws that let people control their tax bill........but, for some reason many won't.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do not think that way......I wonder why others do.

There are pages of laws that let people control their tax bill........but, for some reason many won't.
If gov truly wanted prosperity for ALL it would simplify the tax code so "everyone" could understand it. Knowledge is power over your finances and the amount of tax you pay. Instead government keeps adding then uses propaganda to get people to believe that high taxes is good. Before Obama was sworn into office, the U.S. tax code was just 67,506 pages. In 2014 it is 73,954 pages.

The rich learn about taxes and pay a pro to advise them. The struggling middle class not so much, as a result they're "W2 income is hammered with taxes? The poor? What do they care how much of your money government takes? The tax code is used to "incentivize" people to do things the gov wants. Examples:

- Saving for retirement (401k).
- Buying a home
- Gov doesn't want to be a landlord so how does it house poor? It incentives investment in rental real estate.
- The list of incentives goes on and on.

You are taxed on the money you keep (to pay for your living expenses and wants). Yep, there is 73,954 pages to the tax code to "incentivize" people to do things otherwise the government takes the money.

Last edited by petch751; 01-11-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 10:09 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I wish they didn't deduct taxes out of your paycheck and you had to mail them a check each year. I think people might wake up a little.
This is why I no longer give to charity. My depends get every tax deductible penny. Thaw rest of the memes in this country?....Let them eat cake.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... and how is it exactly that the federal government can imprison some if they don't work for no compensation so others can receive welfare benefits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They are when they are forcibly directly taken from some to only benefit others, aka welfare. That's exactly how slaves were treated. They were forced to labor for no compensation for someone else's benefit.
I've seen the idea and understand the concept. You effectively pay the government with your first X months of the year with taxes and make nothing (though effectively that isn't true as you have money while if you truly paid taxes at that point, you wouldn't to be able to afford goods and services.) I can somewhat understand that there is a difference. You can decide to not work and not face taxes but unlike slavery where if you were not working for no compensation you would get punished for inaction. No one is holding a gun to your head or a switch and forcing you, me or anyone else to work by a threat of violence. As I've said, this is just Koch brothers libertarian rhetoric and nothing more.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:20 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
I've seen the idea and understand the concept. You effectively pay the government with your first X months of the year with taxes and make nothing.
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that only some but not all of those with an income are forced by threat of violence (imprisonment) to work a percentage of every work day for no compensation (slave labor), while others are given the fruits of the slaves' labor.

I'd still like to know which act of Congress authorizes the government to force some but not all to labor as slaves, which unconstitutionally violates the equal protections clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies