Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it time to consider drastically reducing public housing for the long term benefit of it's residen
No 44 41.51%
Yes 62 58.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:29 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times

Advertisements

In my area, there's not a lot of Section 8 housing other than the projects and senior housing. Most landlords don't want to deal with the stiff regulations needed to comply. Things like numbers of electrical sockets per room. and removing access to upstairs back porches etc.

I have mixed feelings about project housing as I know people who live there, who abide by the rules, and work at least part-time, and I know people who are deadbeats who need a kick in the pants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times
Public housing should not be eliminated. There
will always be a lower echelon of people in this
land. Opportunities to better oneself aren't as
frequent for some people and the recent wealth
gap pretty much means some people will never
own their own house within the next 25 years. We
are doing a disservice to such people by saying no
to public housing. If anything there needs to be more
of it and not less.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The government has been slowly getting out of Public Housing since the George H.W. Bush administration. Most cities already demolished their projects in the mid-90s and built mixed income properties in their place-- with varying degrees of success.

IMO, what remains should be sold to private developers. The private developers should be allowed to charge market rates, but in return must do substantial rehabilitation. And the government should pay the difference between the previous rent and the market rate so low-income families can continue to have a place to live. The government is already doing this as a pilot program in some cities, but I would like to see it rolled out to all public housing projects that remain.

Public Housing has been a failure in this country. It has succeeded in some countries, but never here. It is time to stick a fork in it for good while finding other ways to give low income families a place to live.

It was not a failure until Congress gave in to 'welfare rights' acti vists in 1969, and eliminated the MINIMUM INCOME requirements that had kept out the welfare class. It failed when the working class fled and the welfare class took over.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Depends.

If you just kill project-style housing, then yes. If you also get rid of section 8 and similar programs then the opposite, because they won't be competing with the state to rent homes anymore. A lot less money being pumped into low end housing would mean falling rents and valuations - many of those low income but not subsidized renters might even be able to buy then.

why would landlords cut rents when they can just stuff houses full with more people? Last two houses I've lived in had 8 and 10 people, respectively and I paid $650 and $500 to rent a room.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
I would be for it. i am not sure what good it has done.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:00 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Public housing should not be eliminated. There
will always be a lower echelon of people in this
land. Opportunities to better oneself aren't as
frequent for some people and the recent wealth
gap pretty much means some people will never
own their own house within the next 25 years. We
are doing a disservice to such people by saying no
to public housing. If anything there needs to be more
of it and not less.
Now that the family structure and moral fiber is disintegrating at a faster pace it is only going to get worse.
See, in the good ole' days people actually had respect and cared for their families much more. The bad cycle is going faster and faster and is out of control. This country will be lucky to make it through the end of the century without a civil war. Detroit is what happens with no family structure.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Fostering dependence on government programs like housing over the long term only makes people incapable of taking care of themselves over the long term. Then they are basically fully dependent on a system that was trying to help them but neglected to address root causes and give real incentive to be responsible for themselves. This is simple logic that seems to be neglected by many who think that people are incapable of being responsible for themselves when in reality they just haven't had a need to be . It creates a big circle of govt. dependence over the long term.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:55 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
I'd rather let states handle it.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I'd rather let states handle it.
And hope that the "states" are in capable hands (usually, they aren't). But it can be done, well, as is the case here.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Federally funded public housing began 82 years ago and gathered steam after WW2. They were built and operated by state and municipal housing authorities to primarily house rural and Appalachian migrant populations in urban areas with jobs. Typically whites were given priority over blacks in public housing.

Overtime, industries relocated, outsourced to Asia and replaced humans with tech. The jobs vanished and what remained were housing projects.

Housing projects have substantially been declining over the past 20 +/- years in favor of housing vouchers, enabling holders to live just about anywhere. Areas with a substantial number of affordable rentals, apartments or single family, tend to have a concentration of subsidized housing. Most recipients of housing vouchers are single working parents with minor children, the disabled and elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies