Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:45 AM

139 posts, read 250,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
its going to cost maybe 80 billion, so yes, we can afford it.

So your main opposition for being against this isnt even true.
The US national debt is $18 trillion and still growing. That's $154,000 per tax paying citizen.

Even if it costed $1, we still couldn't afford it.

And just to put that into an individual dollar amount for everyone, $80 billion comes out to an average of $685 per tax payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
Liberals know that we can't afford this. And they know that conservatives will vote against it.

They just want to spin it as a "republicans voted against education for americans" bullet point. They don't actually care whether or not it passes.

It's the same game they always play.
It's a big mistake ... it should be 4 years.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's a big mistake ... it should be 4 years.
Exactly. Someone who gets it. It should be 4 years.... years 5 to 8, to be exact.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I would prefer they actually got a high school education from high school.
I agree! When you think about it, from kindergarten through high school, the student spends 13 years being so-called educated. Yet, with "just" a high school diploma, has difficulty obtaining anymore beyond a minimum wage job.

Instead of having hs grads spend tons on a formal education, or having to pay to attend a tech school, why not use the majority of their hs years learning sufficient (and esp a trade) to ensure they are employable? If a person wants to become a lawyer, or enter the medical profession, etc., then yes, more formal education is naturally required.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
The US national debt is $18 trillion and still growing. That's $154,000 per tax paying citizen.

Even if it costed $1, we still couldn't afford it.

And just to put that into an individual dollar amount for everyone, $80 billion comes out to an average of $685 per tax payer.
It's $80 billion over 10 years, for a program that would mostly likely pay for itself.

Compare that to Nuclear weapons and related spending (over 10 years) = $640 billion

The Nuclear Budget: What Nuclear Weapons Cost Us | Ploughshares Fund

Old 01-11-2015, 04:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
I teach at community college ... it is high school redux for many. I see this proposition as just waiving formally many of the grants and waivers already afforded people ... here in beautiful Kalifornia community college is free for many already

I also agree it would be heavily supported by unions as a way to garner more money and personnel ... I am opposed to that.. the unions have too much power already...and Obama panders to them whenever possible

At some point we have to say... who among our youth will have the moxy to succeed..and who will be relegated to minimum wage opportunities..

I might be more supportive of this IF a focused outcome was required.. an
And a grade of a.. not c.. in all work .. to build achievers and not a nation of minimalist effort for all things provided... vetting an a in community college is attainable with focus and work

Obama is slick willy in a pretty package... if he wants it you can bet it comes with so many hidden agendas it wont be good for America

Old 01-11-2015, 04:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Will it mean a glut of graduates with useless degrees in drama, art, film, English literature, anthropology, music, feminist and sexuality studies, political science, etc. etc. ?

I've worked in offices where we interviewed community college graduates for open positions, and gave many a test to these so called "associate degree" holders. Their skills were often found to be mediocre at best, because they had lower graduation standards.

I had a choice between community college or a private business college that had much tougher acceptance criteria (a "C" student wouldn't have a prayer of being accepted). Also the grading curve was a LOT tougher than community college. 79 or lower was an F, 93 or above was an A, etc. I'm glad I opted for the private business college, because it opened a lot of doors when I graduated. Graduates of that school had clout in getting hired and were in demand at community businesses.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-11-2015 at 05:05 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 04:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Will it mean a glut of graduates with useless degrees in drama, art, film, English literature, anthropology, music, feminist and sexuality studies, political society, etc. etc. ?
And, we all know educating people has always been a bad thing for Repubs.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:21 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Just more "free stuff" to buy votes for democrats. Paid for from what's left of the middle class in this country.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Liberals know that we can't afford this. And they know that conservatives will vote against it.

They just want to spin it as a "republicans voted against education for americans" bullet point. They don't actually care whether or not it passes.

It's the same game they always play.
I agree. "See, see? Republicans are anti-education!" <visualize fingers pointing>
“Free community college” for students translates into “a tax increase for somebody else.”

"The federal government has no business in education: Article 1, Sec. 8 of the Constitution enumerates the powers of the federal government. Education is not one of them. The 10th Amendment stipulates that all powers not granted to the federal government belong to the states – and this includes education from kindergarten through graduate school. States are perfectly capable of maintaining community colleges without interference from federal bureaucrats in Washington, D.C., and all the strings they will invariably attach to the “free” program."

Read more: Articles: Obama's Free Community College Proposal Is Ridiculous
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies