Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:26 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

Yes, I may be an agnostic when it comes to religion but for freedom of speech and expression I'm a true believer. JeSuisCharlie

Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
(For the record--I don't think there were beheadings over cartoons--those were orchestrated events meant to terrify, manipulate and evoke a specific reaction.)

They are different in response and the same in reaction.
You're equating Christians' peeved reactions on a message board to Muslims murdering cartoonists. I mean, really, how can you bring yourself to write such nonsense.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wasn't that long ago when an "artist" had a show that included a Christian crucifix in a jar of urine and a statue of Mary, mother of Jesus, made from fecces. Liberals praised the avant-garde show.
Bet they wouldn't if we beheaded them for it, bombed their galleries and newspaper offices, threw their bodies into mass graves, went into their schools and kidnapped their daughters so they could be gang raped and stole their sons so we could make them suicide bombers.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Anti-theists are simply bigots who think insulting someone's deeply held and incredibly personal religious beliefs is somehow clever or intellectual. Hate is hate, and directing it towards people of faith isn't exempt.

Using a group's tiny percentage of extremists to paint the entire group is what racists and bigots do, and anti-theists do this to religious people while claiming the intellectual high ground.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
What kind of "faith" is it that inpires people to murder over some minor insult like a political cartoon?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Al Jazeera makes the same point in heated emails between their Qatar head office staff and their and white/European reporters.

First I condemn the brutal killing,” wrote Omar Al Saleh, a “roving reporter” currently on assignment in Yemen. “But I AM NOT CHARLIE... JOURNALISM IS NOT A CRIME [but] INSULTISM IS NOT JOURNALISM,” he raged. “AND NOT DOING JOURNALISM PROPERLY IS A CRIME.”

'I AM NOT CHARLIE': Leaked Newsroom E-mails Reveal Al Jazeera Fury over Global Support for Charlie Hebdo | National Review Online
I actually agree with this guy. As he said, insulting a religion in the name of free speech is infantile and not journalism.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I suppose that also applies to Christianity? Or not.
If it is mocking God of any of the Abrahamaic religions... if you mock one, you mock them all anyway. In these cases though, the issue might be specific prophet though (the only one that Christianity precedes... all other Muslim prophets are covered within Christianity as well).

Now, nothing provides a greater comic value than a Jew or a Christian mocking "Allah" as some kind of religious revenge, and then a Muslim retaliating. Now, nothing describes a dysfunctional family and represents ignorance better.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I actually agree with this guy. As he said, insulting a religion in the name of free speech is infantile and not journalism.
Religion is the ultimate journalism.

Begat, begat, begat, etc.

It is written!

Anarchosarcasmist

Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Anti-theists are simply bigots who think insulting someone's deeply held and incredibly personal religious beliefs is somehow clever or intellectual. Hate is hate, and directing it towards people of faith isn't exempt.

Using a group's tiny percentage of extremists to paint the entire group is what racists and bigots do, and anti-theists do this to religious people while claiming the intellectual high ground.

Religion is an idea. It is often a political idea.

Why are some ideas sacred (no pun intended) and others, not sacred? Why are some beliefs (the earth is flat) subject to criticism and ridicule but not others (virgin birth, 70 virgins, etc.?)

Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Religion is an idea. It is often a political idea.
Patriarchal in most "political ideas".

It's science!

"Through sheer random assortment, an adult male may never pass on his Y chromosome if he only has female offspring."

"In human genetic genealogy (the application of genetics to traditional genealogy), use of the information contained in the Y chromosome is of particular interest because, unlike other chromosomes, the Y chromosome is passed exclusively from father to son, on the patrilineal line."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_chromosome

Henry the VIII knew this.

Attila the Kraut knew this.

Spitting images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies