Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 01:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say, there have been some really dumb posts on this thread. Including my own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:53 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
A few prefaces: first of all, I understand that not everyone on the left is sympathetic towards Islam. Second, this thread isn't an attempt to troll; it is an honest question I have wondered for years. Third, this thread is not intended to be a place to debate the merits of various religions. My purpose is to solicit the opinion of people self-identified to the left of center as to how and why they have developed their positions regarding Islam.
It is your mistake to assume that the left is defending Islam mindlessly. The defense is against those who thrive on divided societies. This applies equally to both sides, those using the religion and those who hate the religion and/or Muslims. Mindless are those who promote hatred, either using their own religion or that of others.

And if you really want a logical discussion, keep specific religion out of it, because the argument applies regardless of religion. This is a clash of sides that detests multi-cultural, secular societies, pretty much a global issue. In the process, the right wingers (and I'm not talking of the extreme kind, rather the sane ones) seem to forget that specific elements not everybody is a culprit, and marginalizing a populace based on differences (be it skin color, religion, ethnicity or whatever), is idiotic. That is where people like me feel the need to step in.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
A few prefaces: first of all, I understand that not everyone on the left is sympathetic towards Islam. Second, this thread isn't an attempt to troll; it is an honest question I have wondered for years. Third, this thread is not intended to be a place to debate the merits of various religions. My purpose is to solicit the opinion of people self-identified to the left of center as to how and why they have developed their positions regarding Islam.

Why is it that the political left is often so sympathetic to Islam? From the research I have done about Islam (several college courses including three semesters of Arabic, numerous books, documentaries and being a news junky) the political left and Islam have virtually nothing in common. In fact, many of the tenets of Islam are diametrically opposed to the values held by the left (homosexuality, women's rights, pacifism vs. violence, the role of religion in government, etc.). When there is an issue in the news that pits Islam against Christianity or Judaism, the left sides with Islam the vast majority of the time.

The left has condemned the Paris tragedy, but these condemnations usually include qualifiers about how not all Muslims are bad (which we already know) or how not all terrorists are Muslims (even though the VAST majority of modern terrorists are Muslims). Instead of talking constructively about ways to reduce Islamic fanaticism, liberal media outlets seem to spend more time sympathizing with a group that perpetrates violence in response the the values the left holds most dear.

All insight is appreciated. As someone that is not left-wing, this is something that completely baffles me.
I did not read any responses, but it's because people on the left believe in the Liberties afforded us in the US Constitution. We believe that all men and women ARE created equal, and we believe that a double standard is rarely if ever justified.

One thing that jumped out in your OP is your paragraph that starts with the Paris Tragedy. You made a comment that is very common among those in the right, and is one of the things that puts people in a position of defense. That is that you presented condemnation of one event, and stereotyping of an entire group of people as an either/or proposition. As if those are the only two options, and one must be picked. The fact is that the left has condemned the Paris tragedy, as have the VAST majority of Muslims. It is important to put those qualifiers out there, because there is a significant sect of our population who frames opinions in such a way that it must be stated (for omission could be considered agreement).

I'm also Jewish by birth. I think I am very sensitive to the way Muslims are treated because the trends I see in the USA right now are very reminiscent of how the Holocaust started. I'm not comparing the right to Hitler, so please don't even go there. What I am saying is that in times of economic hurt, or threats to our liberties, people look for explanations. When they scapegoat an entire sector of the population, and when people start believing those stereotypes, it sets the stage for history to repeat itself.

As a Jew, and as a "lefty", I'm at odds with Islam in a lot of ways, but as an American and as a free thinker, I can't condemn an entire community for the actions of a few, and I owe it to them (and to myself) to make efforts to distinguish between a few bad apples who may not represent the greater group at all.

I tried to answer your question honestly, and without throwing stones. That is why (from my perspective) "we" do it....

Old 01-13-2015, 02:31 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. They are against Christians and Jews. So is islam.

As much as they see Christianity squelching their rights Islam would really take away their rights. Their damnation of Christianity and support of Islam seem backwards.

Got to admit, I've have this same thought.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 PM

293 posts, read 317,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Got to admit, I've have this same thought.
This is absolutely absurd and shows a complete lack of critical thinking.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
This is absolutely absurd and shows a complete lack of critical thinking.

Just that libs are often the apologists for those that would chose them first to be beheaded is absurd.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost
as a free thinker, I can't condemn an entire community for the actions of a few,

Quite a few posters have made this point, but I have to disagree w/ it. The problems stem not so much as a few bad apples, but from the central tenets of Islam, for example the dictum that apostasy is punishable by death:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quran
But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them
Or forced conversion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quran
fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them...
As a friend of mine puts it, the 'moderate' Muslims who reject acts of carnage, subjugation of women, etc, are 'backsliders' who have departed from the true faith. Perhaps Muslims can find a way to leave behind the bloodthirsty aspects of their faith, as Jews have done long ago. Christians (I am not one) never really had much of a problem with that, since their central tenets always led them back to non-coercion, free will, and the primacy of individual volition ('ye must be born again').

It has been 1400 years since the time of Muhammad, and there is little sign of a reformation of Islam. Hangings of gays, murders of artists, sexual slavery and beheadings in the most macabre form imaginable are still the norm for Islam.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:01 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I'm also Jewish by birth. I think I am very sensitive to the way Muslims are treated because the trends I see in the USA right now are very reminiscent of how the Holocaust started. I'm not comparing the right to Hitler, so please don't even go there. What I am saying is that in times of economic hurt, or threats to our liberties, people look for explanations. When they scapegoat an entire sector of the population, and when people start believing those stereotypes, it sets the stage for history to repeat itself.

As a Jew, and as a "lefty", I'm at odds with Islam in a lot of ways, but as an American and as a free thinker, I can't condemn an entire community for the actions of a few, and I owe it to them (and to myself) to make efforts to distinguish between a few bad apples who may not represent the greater group at all.

I tried to answer your question honestly, and without throwing stones. That is why (from my perspective) "we" do it....
I agree with a LOT OF this. ^^^ Very compassionate and fair post.

The fact is that a random group, a very small percentage of certain group have done something that has in some way affected, whether directly or indirectly, a huge amount of people in the world. I think it is human nature for people to be scared of the unknown.

I think it is important to realize that terrorists do not act like "normal" Muslim people. They act like fanatical cultists. I have combat Marine friends told me all the time that brave Muslims saved their lives in battle field. I have combat Marine friends who have told me all the time that many Muslim are friendly, good, polite people who have very big hearts. But, there are a lot of terrorists who hide among regular Muslims. So it is difficult to distinguish between good Muslims and bad Muslims. But war has taught many of my combat Marine friends to stop hating all Muslims. They are not all the same.

I think knowledge is power. I don't know if Muslim is a religion of peace or not. But it is hard to convince me that all Muslims are bad. It is also hard to convince me that all the "moderate" Muslims are really that innocent.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-13-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 03:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:

Why is it that the political left is often so sympathetic to Islam? From the research I have done about Islam (several college courses including three semesters of Arabic, numerous books, documentaries and being a news junky) the political left and Islam have virtually nothing in common. In fact, many of the tenets of Islam are diametrically opposed to the values held by the left (homosexuality, women's rights, pacifism vs. violence, the role of religion in government, etc.). When there is an issue in the news that pits Islam against Christianity or Judaism, the left sides with Islam the vast majority of the time.

The left has condemned the Paris tragedy, but these condemnations usually include qualifiers about how not all Muslims are bad (which we already know) or how not all terrorists are Muslims (even though the VAST majority of modern terrorists are Muslims). Instead of talking constructively about ways to reduce Islamic fanaticism, liberal media outlets seem to spend more time sympathizing with a group that perpetrates violence in response the the values the left holds most dear.

All insight is appreciated. As someone that is not left-wing, this is something that completely baffles me.
I'm liberal and I agree with you. I don't get it either. I'm with Bill Maher on this topic.

A rising Muslim population scares me, as a gay man. Even moderates are more in line with the far Christian right on the topic of gay rights.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:

1. Lack of knowledge about Islam (could be attributed to the fact that so many Leftists are non-religious — they think all religions are equally silly, so they do not bother to find out what Islam is all about)
  2. Political correctness
  3. Fear of stirring up the hornets nest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies