Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 05:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Most rich people are rich because they serve others well. They offer value, something other people want and are willing to pay for. "As a result" of serving others, they become rich.

Poor are only concerned with serving themselves. Thats why they are called "takers".

Think about it.
You should think about it too, because your argument is false. All poor people I know offer services, but don't get paid much for them. Construction, daycare, golf course maintenance, hotel/restaurant workers, airport workers etc just don't make people rich, but to claim they are "takers" who are concerned only with serving themselves is just plain dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
You're kidding right??
No, and the irony is that you are talking to a low-income earner aka "taker" who complains about having to pay for health insurance.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is why the former CEO and co-founder of "The Home Depot" has said that if Dodd-Frank had been in effect when they started, they would not have been able to get financing, which means there would have been no "Home Depot." They couldn't have done it, he has said many times.

99.9 percent couldn't get the financing. Did he think he was special?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:03 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Most rich people are rich because they inherited a lot of money.
I know many people who earned their own fortune through hard work and investing every dollar they had believing their idea would work.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I totally agree with you.

My ex was making $150,000/year as a senior software engineer. I don't know anybody making $250,000 / year just by working for somebody else.
Correct. I love how the whole paradigm has shifted to the point that regular working people that ain't seeing anything close to six figures can sit around and talk as if 250k is small potatoes.

250k a year is RICH...period. Anyone pretending that it's not is just being a bit too highfalutin' for their own good. I'm not even sure if my doctors earn that much annually.

Of course that doesn't mean that you can buy several Ferraris and a few mansions. But that's beside the point.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, and the irony is that you are talking to a low-income earner aka "taker" who complains about having to pay for health insurance.
I'm sorry, but poor people aren't "takers"

Old 01-17-2015, 07:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I just read a book called, "Fortune's Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt" and within 50 some odd years after his death, the offspring and their offspring, of the very wealthy, uneducated and self-made rich guy, Corneilius Vanderbilt, had plowed through his entire fortune. However, for all of their excesses, they hired a gazillion poor people to cater to them personally, take care of their many estates and take care of their businesses -- people who might not have had jobs otherwise in those days.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You should think about it too, because your argument is false. All poor people I know offer services, but don't get paid much for them. Construction, daycare, golf course maintenance, hotel/restaurant workers, airport workers etc just don't make people rich, but to claim they are "takers" who are concerned only with serving themselves is just plain dishonest.
What these people do have is a way to keep all of their earned income........by filing their taxes the correctly.

That will give them capitol to expand.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:47 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
You can work down a coalmine for forty years and still be poor. so its not always to do with work... the thing about the rich is that they can make more money easily with shares and taking risks.. the poor have nothing to take risks with... another thing is the rich have their own advisers and accountants ,and ways of finding places to put their millions so as not to pay a lot of tax etc...the rest of us can only dream of the lives these people have..

Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You can work down a coalmine for forty years and still be poor. so its not always to do with work... the thing about the rich is that they can make more money easily with shares and taking risks.. the poor have nothing to take risks with... another thing is the rich have their own advisers and accountants ,and ways of finding places to put their millions so as not to pay a lot of tax etc...the rest of us can only dream of the lives these people have..
the wealthy also have no money worries which frees them up to enjoy life more than someone worried if they have enough to pay the rent and feed their children. no money worries is a great thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies