Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With all the programs to cover other expenses they end up with disposable cash.
But it's not like they are millionaire though; they live week to week on a cash basis.

And it's quite easy for people with less than stellar credit to get nice cars via those "no cash, no credit, no problem" car lots. Those cars have been repo'd more times than they have been owned
Which is something they need to check into. I've seen people on welfare buying luxury items and that shouldn't be allowed. When I was poor and working I bought what I needed and saved the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
It's true that there is a point where if you work a certain number of hours more per week or receive an increase in pay, that you could potentially be making less money total-many welfare recipients are well aware. It is a problem and often deters incentive but the solution is not to cut welfare programs without first ensuring that there are livable wage level jobs available to the masses.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just find it odd that a pickup costs $46k. A friend of mine told me he was at the Ford dealership and a brand new fully loaded F-150 Platinum is stickered around $65k. I just find the price of new cars is quite absurd. For the foreseeable future, I'll be purchasing used.

Edit: I just went to the website and "built" a loaded out F150 Platinum and it totaled $ 62,620.

Yikes.

I find it insane that a person would never be able to get a $50,000 mortgage if they wanted to, even though that very well is the price of homes across different regions of the country, but could easily get a car loan for $60,000+ on horrible credit and no income.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It's true that there is a point where if you work a certain number of hours more per week or receive an increase in pay, that you could potentially be making less money total-many welfare recipients are well aware. It is a problem and often deters incentive but the solution is not to cut welfare programs without first ensuring that there are livable wage level jobs available.
The jobs are available, just no incentive to man them.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The jobs are available, just no incentive to man them.

Wages have been stagnant across the board for the majority of Americans the past few decades-most wages are no longer "livable" in the ways they were years ago when everyone owned homes and cars outright and there was no such thing as a credit card or two-working parent households to help mask the declining wealth of American families.

Blame the nationless corporations and politicians that sold us out.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wages have been stagnant for the majority of Americans the past few decades-most wages are no longer "livable" in the ways they were years ago.
They are plently livable, but in Illinois unless you are going to making over $35 an hour you are better off on welfare than working.

Didn't you hear, unemployment is down to 5.6%. Plenty of jobs available, many in growing fields that pay well. Of course people might have to learn a skill to get the better paying jobs, but with all the down time of not working full time, free child care and free education, that should not be a problem.

The years of America being the only country capable of manufacturing are gone. Basing public policy on maintaining the standard of living of that time is unworkable.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Welfare does not pay for everything. It sure as hell isn't permanent either.

But continue with your ridiculous fantasy.
If you keep having kids, you can remain on it for a long time! Which is what some do.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:00 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
I thought about demonstrating how many folks lie or deceive people in their responses. I loved the one where someone pointed out that state governments could give TANF for longer then 5 year....neglecting to mention that at the moment thats incredibly rare. But instead I want to respond to the OP.

The OP is dead on correct, the disincentive is a serious problem. Tapering off rather then cutting off such that making more money is always beneficial is a excellent solution, and its one that could be implemented even at a state level. While I could go on about how a basic income would work better, in the meantime something that tapered benefits such that a bigger income was always better would help people get a hand up instead of discouraging them as our current system can.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just find it odd that a pickup costs $46k. A friend of mine told me he was at the Ford dealership and a brand new fully loaded F-150 Platinum is stickered around $65k. I just find the price of new cars is quite absurd. For the foreseeable future, I'll be purchasing used.

Edit: I just went to the website and "built" a loaded out F150 Platinum and it totaled $ 62,620.

Yikes.
I know.......they are not cheap.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
If minimum wage were actually a livable wage, we'd likely see less of this.

I wonder if there has been a study done on the cost/benefit of increasing minimum wage as opposed to welfare payouts.

I personally think if people were paid enough to live on and the job market were a little more open, there'd be less welfare money spent and more consumers active in the economy.

I worked in social services off and on for over 25 years. Most families who receive food stamps (SNAP) have at least one working adult in them. I've seen families where there were two working adults making minimum wage at full time jobs with one or two kids and were still below the eligibility limits to receive at least some food stamps.

If wages were increased but the eligibility criteria stayed the same (eligibility for food stamps and some other human services benefit programs) there'd be a decreased need for food stamps and more consumer $ pumped into the economy.

At least that's what I reckon. It may not totally jibe with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies