Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:15 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

It takes a "special" level of intellectual achievement to cheerfully embrace compulsory charity and a totalitarian police state to enforce it. Someone forgot to tell them that slavery, even part time, is not a viable remedy for the ills of mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
It takes a "special" level of intellectual achievement to cheerfully embrace compulsory charity and a totalitarian police state to enforce it. Someone forgot to tell them that slavery, even part time, is not a viable remedy for the ills of mankind.
Yep! Slavery of the mind.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's not always the professor's bias. It's the school's bias.
Then why go to a college that you feel is bias?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
perhaps some more conservatives should go into teaching so the op is more comfortable with education.
Sadly, if they are known as conservative, they won't get hired. That's how bad it is now.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Sadly, if they are known as conservative, they won't get hired. That's how bad it is now.
I applied for a university teaching position like 4 years ago, and my interview took place in the department chair's office. On the wall behind his desk was a circa 1925 VI Lenin propaganda poster, and he had a big red star and the USSR flag on his desk. Politics were not asked specifically, but he kept saying that the liberal arts "mindset" is very important in his department and did I mind that?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Scary - did you get hired?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:45 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I applied for a university teaching position like 4 years ago, and my interview took place in the department chair's office. On the wall behind his desk was a circa 1925 VI Lenin propaganda poster, and he had a big red star and the USSR flag on his desk. Politics were not asked specifically, but he kept saying that the liberal arts "mindset" is very important in his department and did I mind that?
Did you run for the hills?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
While I attended Iowa State University, I always stood up to Marxist professors. I was perhaps part of the 2% of the student body who were fully aware of the type of brainwash some of these professors were promoting.

I remember this big Lib professor who taught Public Speech. All her slides were about big corporations, anti-Walmart, equal rights. What the hell do all these things have to do with public speech anyways?

I got into an argument with her over Affirmative Action once and after that I decided to lay low because I could totally see this woman using her position against me and maybe giving me a failing grade simply because I questioned her BS.

One time I took a "Community Organizing" course just for kicks to see what kind of stuff they were going try to shove down my throat. This course was taught by 2 Marxist Libs, both were active community organizers.

All I remember from this class was some pretty heated political arguments but these Marxist professors proudly told us some stories of some community organizing they participated in, some of them involving trespassing, destruction of property, harassment, even falsification and misrepresentation of facts.

Because I studied Engineering, I would say most of my Engineering professors were Conservative and I felt that the degree was worth it but for these kids who are going to school to study Political Science, Sociology and other majors in Liberal arts, I feel like they are being totally ripped off.

They are graduating from college with over 50 K in student loans, no relevant skills that will help them find decent jobs and all they are learning is how to regurgitate this Liberal, Marxist propaganda they are learning from these wacky "professors"
I was ok with what you were saying up until you said 'promoting and equal rights agenda.'

Seriously? Equal rights? Oh no, people being treated like people! Damn marxists!

Of course the professors in the social sciences are more likely to be leftists. Think about what it is they do for a living. When's the last time you saw a social activist fighting for the environment finish up by saying 'also, homosexuality is an abomination.'

Should that be influencing their class? No. A good teacher should be able to remain mostly unbiased. A little bias is going to happen; they're only human and that should be excuses, even if you disagree. Besides, if you're so smart you should be able to see past their evil agenda, so why get upset?

Yeah, others won't. Speaking as a college student, a lot of people here are not overly brilliant. College is not reserved for the intelligent anymore. Oh well.

I've had teachers who were clearly liberal but it hardly effected their teachings. An English teacher definitely had a liberal bias, which was fun because there was a kid in the class who was a hard core republican. At one point, he was defending proposition 8, which is one of those things that smart people can see contradicts republican values of personal liberty, but other people can't. I'm happy to see most conservatives have dropped the gay marriage issue and have moved on to other things. But then I had a history professor with no political bias whatsoever. He's the kind of guy who would vote for someone based on principle and pay little attention to what party they're in. He openly said America was his favorite country, listing off many things America did that both liberals and conservatives like, and snidely commenting on how the Western world had invented privacy up until 2001. He did have us read the communist manifesto though, encouraging us to view it within it's historical context on not on it's actual relevancy as a viable option. So, unlike most people who aren't communists, I actually know what communism is.

Besides, you were an engineer. Politics plays little role in your department.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:53 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You can learn about Communism by reading a couple of books in the library or by taking a course in political theory that covers a whole range of political ideologies.

Why would a university offer a whole course in the subject? Shouldn't other things take greater priority, at least at the undergraduate level?

Students come out of college today and can justly be called ignorant.

They are ignorant of great literature. They are not required to take a significant number of courses in history and philosophy. They know little about our Western civilization, little about history, and -- worst of all -- they stop reading good and serious books the minute they leave college.

But they are certainly fashionable and politically correct!
You seem to have issues with education in general. So political science shouldn't be taught anywhere and it's a waste of time to study it? Hey can I become a doctor by just reading a few books?

And are you seriously suggesting that the writers of 'great literature' weren't educated?

The idea that college makes people more ignorant than people who don't go at all is objectively stupid.

There are a handful of people who can do better on their own (more if you mean financial success as opposed to critical thought and general knowledge ability), but the vast majority aren't prodigies and need guidance.

You sound bitter and upset because you just want to be told you're right.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM

148 posts, read 149,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You can learn about Communism by reading a couple of books in the library or by taking a course in political theory that covers a whole range of political ideologies.

Why would a university offer a whole course in the subject? Shouldn't other things take greater priority, at least at the undergraduate level?
In political science and history departments? Are you serious? Communism is a huge, huge part of 20th and 21st century geopolitics, to a point where I'd be worried if a department didn't have an elective either about or relating to it (and capitalism, for that matter). There are a lot of subjects that take less priority in history/polisci/international relations departments than the study of communism, especially if you want to start working at a place that specializes in Chinese, Russian or Central Asian diplomacy.

One of my 2 specialties in college was 20th/21st century Eastern Europe/Russia/Central Asia, and the class I took specifically on communism was really, really, REALLY important for understanding my future classes on the subject. It was even better to have a professor that told us up front that he's a moderate conservative, and then ended up staying objective throughout the whole course. And he was a big wrestling fan. I loved that guy.

P.S. I know ISU from experience in visiting from my university, and the OP's story kinda sounds like horsecrap. ISU seems to have a more conservative background than other universities I've been to (though that's not a problem, of course) as a result of being in...ya know, Iowa. Also, there's no "Community Organizing" class in this year's course catalog, and his alleged major is the incredibly non-political engineering. So from what I can tell either OP is one of those guys who screams "LIBERAL BIAS!!!!!" whenever a professor says the word "communism" in any context, or he's making everything up.

Last edited by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot; 01-25-2015 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies