Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You are using google to find research materials far faster than you would in a book. You can easily find scholarly based sources using google for example. This is why in University they ask you to use EBSCO rather than going to the school library. The penmanship argument makes no sense because people are going to type their research on a computer. Pretty much no one is writing the stuff down and filing it away anymore :-P

Common Core logic.........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Common Core logic.........................
Sorry, I'm about 30 years old, but thanks for playing . You have to adapt with the times, I'm sorry.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Mostly kids rebelling, getting into drugs, hippies, promiscuity. This led to more single moms and contributed to divorce. Destroy the family unit and you can destroy the nation. Sad, isn't it?
Those kids rebelled against a system who support the draft , racism, and sexist.
Most of those kids are productive citizens today.
Single parents did exist before.
Granny said they make the two get marry or send the girl away to give up the baby.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I am not a teacher. I was merely pointing out a fact that is glaringly obvious. Most of us who have worked with people under the age of 35 could give you examples of this in regard to spelling, critical thinking skills, an abysmal lack of knowledge in regard to history, etc. I am not saying this is true of everyone but there are a lot of ignorant people out there anymore and they have not been well served by the educational system in this country.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
You can send an idiot to school, but you can't make him think.
You put the dishes in the sink, but they won't wash themselves,
You get the gifts from Santa, but not without the elves.
You can mine the ground for copper, but if the truth be told,
You'll get more ore from a copper vein, than one made out of gold.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Every now and then a new jersey news page posts "vintage photos" based on a specific theme. This particular theme was vintage school photos:

This was back when kids graduated from high school and actually knew how to read and do basic math. As you can see, there are no computers. There are no vast swimming pools or laptops or other things that we are told are the root cause of the problem (due to lack of money for these things). The pictures show well-dressed, well-mannered kids engaged in what they are doing. Whatever happened to that?

Although it is said a picture (or in this case, a photo) tells a thousand words, I think you may have added a few more words to make it fit your idealism.

[looking at black and white photos with rose-tinted glasses]

Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Just some blah blah blah dem olden days were way better blah blah blah crap we have here.... too many pessimistic people in the older generation wasting their time constantly trying to prove how the good ol days were so much better than today (even though many statistics show otherwise)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies