Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 09:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
People feel Selma was snubbed. Not sure how the oscars work so I have no opinion on whether or not Selma even could have been nomimated. This is why people are complaining about the oscars though, not solely based on the lack of diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Selma" is, by many accounts, a great movie. The star is a relative unknown, however, and while some years that hasn't been a deterrent, I think that there were just too many great performances this year by better known and better represented actors/actresses.
People just choose to whine about every little thing.

Frankly, I have a bigger issue with the rush to open movies in the last couple of weeks of a year just so that they can be eligible. "Selma" falls into this category, as does "American Sniper" and several others.
If it were up to me, no movie that opened after October would be eligible. So there.

I was thrilled that the Academy didn't forget "The Grand Budapest Hotel" considering that it opened way back in March of last year.
I think that not nominating Ralph Fiennes was a bigger snub than overlooking "Selma" but, I am really rooting for Michael Keaton.
I didn't realize Selma was a 2014 movie. I thought it came out this month.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
1. Most of us don't care what Sharpton says or thinks. He is irrelevant.

2. Most of us don't know or care who wins oscars, emmys, bennies or barfies and what color their skin is.

But it's fun to watch these two groups fight like kids since they have at least one characteristic in common; they have an inflated sense of their self worth.
Good points. I have no clue, nor do I care, what socially relevant, message infused, tripe is up for these sappy awards. Nor do I care what actors, of what color, are nominated. There are lots of Black actors I like, because they ate entertaining as Hell. Will Smith is one such. But, I guess he didn't do any movies, of such socially relevant content, to be considered in the Oscars this year.

That's what its all about , anymore. Political and social message, and it bores the Hell out of me. I would rather watch Wold Wild West than any of the stuff that gets nominated for awards. I lime entertainment and clever acting. Not commentary on social issues.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Rev Al is a joke and gives hardworking black people a really bad name.

Like it or not, he's one of your (black people) national spokespersons. If I were you, I'd be embarrassed.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When the NBA is brought up we inevitably hear "Oh, that's strictly based on talent". Funny how talent becomes an unacceptable criterion in other areas.
And what if it were the criteria used and you just don't like it?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Oscar nominees? Seriously? BFD.

I'll bet that blacks are sorely underrepresented as surgeons and commercial airline pilots too.

Those are much more important and highly responsible positions in society.

Sharpton ought to tackle THOSE travesties and shake down the airlines and medical schools.
Actually, Sharpton should be jailed for tax evasion (like Capone) as the rest of us in his situation would be.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Affirmative action Oscars? Hilarious.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why would hollywood execs even entertain this moron?
Because if they don't pay him off they are racist!

Phase 2 after the meeting will be to issue some press releases about various corporations etc. that don't pony up with a 5 or 6 figure donation to help fight the racism they display.

Basically, more rhetoric and threats to drag their names through the racial mud if they don't apologize and write a check.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:15 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
1. Most of us don't care what Sharpton says or thinks. He is irrelevant.

2. Most of us don't know or care who wins oscars, emmys, bennies or barfies and what color their skin is.

But it's fun to watch these two groups fight like kids since they have at least one characteristic in common; they have an inflated sense of their self worth.

Hey Reverend Al: The Razzies didn't discriminate this year. The following is a list of AA's being saluted for their contribution to the motion picture industry in 2014:

Chris Brown
Halle Berry
Tyler Perry
Jaden Smith

Right up there next to Adam Sandler.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I'm still laughing at the guy that was trying to politically distance Sharpton by writing him off as someone only the rightwing listens too.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I didn't realize Selma was a 2014 movie. I thought it came out this month.
And therein lies a great part of the problem, I think.

Too many movies open in maybe five theaters in the country the last week of December in order to be eligible.
Few people see them and yet they may still garner all sorts of awards.

Rather than whine about a movie not getting awards, I think people should be complaining about how studios (try to) game the awards system.
The studio took a calculated risk with "Selma" and it didn't pay off for them. The field was simply too strong this year.
C'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies