Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Movies like 'Medea Assaults a Police Officer' are not going to get many awards.
Who ever claimed it was ????

Old 01-15-2015, 05:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
meh, this is a non issue.

Although, Selma was good.
Notwithstanding its being based on the outright LIE that LBJ opposed King's efforts.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
It's obvious that black folk can't act, write, produce, etc.

Well, except for Sam Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Idris Elba, Cuba Gooding Jr., Denzel Washington, Laurence Fishburn, Sydney Portier, and dozens of others.

There's obviously gobs of sarcasm here.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:01 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
I wonder if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton will respond.

Whiteout in the limelight? #OscarsSoWhite mocks Academy snub of actors of colour | Film | The Guardian

Twitter users responded to the Oscar nominations’ lack of any black or minority ethnic actors being given a nod by the Academy with the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite.

Most of the posts made fun of the Academy, characterising the awards show as a clueless white friend who makes racially insensitive comments.
So if you are black, as long as you are making a movie or acting in a movie, you should get special consideration, no matter if the movie or your acting is not as good as the other movies and actors, cuz you're black.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
It's obvious that black folk can't act, write, produce, etc.

Well, except for Sam Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Idris Elba, Cuba Gooding Jr., Denzel Washington, Laurence Fishburn, Sydney Portier, and dozens of others.
Samuel L Jackson was nominated for 1 oscar (for Pulp Fiction, he lost to Martin Landau in Ed Wood, I haven't seen that so I can't really comment on it). This year his acting in movies was nothing Oscar worthy (but I did enjoy Captain America).

Morgan Freeman was nominated for 5 oscars and won 1 (his role in Million Dollar Baby) (in 1995 [shawshank redemption] he lost to Tom Hanks [Forrest Gump], which I agree with. In 1988 [Street Smart] he lost to Sean Connery [The Untouchables], haven't seen Street Smart so I can't comment on that. In 1990 [Driving Miss Daisy] he lost to Daniel Day Lewis [My Left Foot] I agree with that. In 2010 [Invictus] he lost to Jeff Bridges [Crazy Heart] haven't seen either of those movies). This year he was in nothing Oscar worthy.

Idris Elba was in nothing good this year. He hasn't been nominated for any Oscars because he hasn't really been great in any movies.

Cuba Gooding Jr. won one Oscar for his role in Jerry Maguire (which was really his last really good role). This year he was decent but forgettable in Selma.

Denzel Washington has won two Oscars (Training Day and Glory) and was Nominated for 4 (Flight [lost to Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln], The Hurricane [Lost to Kevin Spacey in American Beauty], Malcolm X [lost to Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman], Cry Freedom [Lost to Sean Connery in the Untouchables]). This year he was only in The Equalizer. No real snubs here.

Laurence Fishburn was nominated for one Oscar (What's love got to do with it, he lost to Tom Hanks in Philadelphia). This year he was in nothing notable.

Sidney Poitier has won one Oscar (Lilies of the Field) and a Honorary Award. This year he was in nothing.

The only black actor that wasn't nominated that I thought maybe should have been this year was David Oyelowo in Selma but I'm finding it hard to disagree with the nominations this year.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
I wonder if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton will respond.

Whiteout in the limelight? #OscarsSoWhite mocks Academy snub of actors of colour | Film | The Guardian

Twitter users responded to the Oscar nominations’ lack of any black or minority ethnic actors being given a nod by the Academy with the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite.

Most of the posts made fun of the Academy, characterising the awards show as a clueless white friend who makes racially insensitive comments.
Do you also wonder if Obama and Holder will also respond? Forgot about them.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Samuel L Jackson was nominated for 1 oscar (for Pulp Fiction, he lost to Martin Landau in Ed Wood, I haven't seen that so I can't really comment on it). This year his acting in movies was nothing Oscar worthy (but I did enjoy Captain America).

Morgan Freeman was nominated for 5 oscars and won 1 (his role in Million Dollar Baby) (in 1995 [shawshank redemption] he lost to Tom Hanks [Forrest Gump], which I agree with. In 1988 [Street Smart] he lost to Sean Connery [The Untouchables], haven't seen Street Smart so I can't comment on that. In 1990 [Driving Miss Daisy] he lost to Daniel Day Lewis [My Left Foot] I agree with that. In 2010 [Invictus] he lost to Jeff Bridges [Crazy Heart] haven't seen either of those movies). This year he was in nothing Oscar worthy.

Idris Elba was in nothing good this year. He hasn't been nominated for any Oscars because he hasn't really been great in any movies.

Cuba Gooding Jr. won one Oscar for his role in Jerry Maguire (which was really his last really good role). This year he was decent but forgettable in Selma.

Denzel Washington has won two Oscars (Training Day and Glory) and was Nominated for 4 (Flight [lost to Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln], The Hurricane [Lost to Kevin Spacey in American Beauty], Malcolm X [lost to Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman], Cry Freedom [Lost to Sean Connery in the Untouchables]). This year he was only in The Equalizer. No real snubs here.

Laurence Fishburn was nominated for one Oscar (What's love got to do with it, he lost to Tom Hanks in Philadelphia). This year he was in nothing notable.

Sidney Poitier has won one Oscar (Lilies of the Field) and a Honorary Award. This year he was in nothing.

The only black actor that wasn't nominated that I thought maybe should have been this year was David Oyelowo in Selma but I'm finding it hard to disagree with the nominations this year.

I probably should have made not in my post that it was sarcastic as all get out. Several great actors who are black passed up, blah, blah, blah. Not every post I make should be taken seriously. This one was oozing with sarcasm.

And Denzel in Training Day...was it an Oscar for being a character you don't want to like?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I probably should have made not in my post that it was sarcastic as all get out. Several great actors who are black passed up, blah, blah, blah. Not every post I make should be taken seriously. This one was oozing with sarcasm.

And Denzel in Training Day...was it an Oscar for being a character you don't want to like?
Sorry I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. There are so many nuts in P&OC's I pretty much believe people are serious when they say anything. I've only seen Training Day once. All I remember was lots of swearing (I don't mind swearing at all but when it stand out like that it turns me off a little.) I liked The Departed. I didn't really like Training Day.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
It must be exhausting to get worked up over such inane things.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Exclamation Uh oh, all the Oscar nominees are white.

All the actors and actresses nominated for Oscars are white. Don't black actors and black actresses performances matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies