Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:50 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Are we to hide the fact that guns are used in an unlawful manner? Lawful or unlawful is moot. What happens when a gun is fired is important. Responsible gun ownership goes beyond Eddie the Eagle Scout.
When we teach firearm safety of course we explain what can happen if we don't observe the rules of firearm safety. I don't think anyone is oblivious to the consequences of negligent firearm handling and that is reinforced.
Eddie Eagle is just for children under third grade. The program proposed is for kids all the way up to high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Wasn't aware nra sold guns. You'll have to send me the catalog.
A majority of NRA revenue comes from gun retailers, manufacteres, and direct donations from the sales of equipement
The NRA is no longer a right lobbying group, they are a subsidiary of the gun industry.

I took a hunters safety class back at my middle school. It was informative and fun as I have been a gun owner and user from a very young age. The one thing I didn't like about the class was the NRA provided films that we had to watch as part of the curriculum. They were waaay over the top with hyperbolic tales of guns being confiscated and hunters having to enter a lottery for the chance to shoot one bullet from a 10' circle. It was silly and frankly intellectually offensive, even as a seventh grader.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
A majority of NRA revenue comes from gun retailers, manufacteres, and direct donations from the sales of equipement
The NRA is no longer a right lobbying group, they are a subsidiary of the gun industry.

I took a hunters safety class back at my middle school. It was informative and fun as I have been a gun owner and user from a very young age. The one thing I didn't like about the class was the NRA provided films that we had to watch as part of the curriculum. They were waaay over the top with hyperbolic tales of guns being confiscated and hunters having to enter a lottery for the chance to shoot one bullet from a 10' circle. It was silly and frankly intellectually offensive, even as a seventh grader.
The article you posted doesn't give the amount of money (either in total dollars or %) from its members. Plus, the only way gun companies have $ to give to the nra is because of the purchase of said product from individuals. Plus many of the contributions are "round up" sort of deals where gun companies ask people to pay a little extra and the gun company donates on their behalf, this is money from gun owners that goes to the nra but would be counted as money coming from gun companies.

The simple fact is the NRA is the 2nd largest membership organization in America after the AARP and the largest paid membership organization. And this is why politicians of both parties listen to the NRA. NRA members vote, for both parties, and politicians know that.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:50 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Guns are just as much a part of our history as gays are

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history - CNN.com

I don't see the problem. Knowing how to handle a weapon could someday save your life.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
South Carolina rated last in education and their priority is a gun training, very poor education policy.

State Education Ranking Shows Vermont #1, South Carolina Last - ALEC - American Legislative Exchange Council

But #1 in gun education, that's important!

Last edited by Goodnight; 01-16-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 02:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
They will live in a world with a lot of guns........they should know how to handle guns.......and what they can do.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Anybody can use a gun(obviously), but knife fighting is a real art. I say knife fighting courses instead

Old 01-16-2015, 05:02 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A SC lawmaker has proposed mandatory gun classes for all students. A three week course every year with a curriculum written by the NRA.

South Carolina lawmaker wants mandatory gun classes in schools | MSNBC

And this isn't right wing brain washing? No social engineering here?
The libs are mad about this because he's trying to nudge in on their territory. He's a camel trying to stick his nose under their tent.

They have pretty much taken over the field of academics, and they know how absolutely vital the indoctrination of youth is to the continued existence of their world view.

If we have schools teaching students about the Second Amendment, and about how it protects an individual Right of The People as affirmed by the Supreme Court..... well, we just can't have that, so says the libs.

Educated opinions are the biggest threat to the anti-gun agenda. I've never met an anti-gunner who had a clue what they were talking about. They know literally nothing about firearms, and they know very little about the history behind the 2A.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:48 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Yes the second amendment is just so complicated we need to teach that in school, not the other amendments just the second and in a state that ranks last in education. Maybe that was why the NRA choose South Carolina, easy target.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:50 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Anybody can use a gun(obviously), but knife fighting is a real art. I say knife fighting courses instead
No one wins in a knife fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies