Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 05:22 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times

Advertisements

Personally I'm glad they did not go through with this shameful bow to the religion of conquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Personally I'm glad they did not go through with this shameful bow to the religion of conquest.
YES! Good thing we are living in a nation where the majority of people believe in a religion that never tried to force religious beliefs down anyones throat with a sword.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:35 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Religious beliefs of others, are being forced on people who may not wish to hear them - where's the tolerance?
I do not wish to hear the crazy old man on the corner either. I can choose to get upset at his biblical pronouncements and prayer, or I can choose not to get upset. I choose not to get upset with him. We leave him water and sometimes a breakfast sammich once in a while.

The fact I do not wish to hear his apocalyptic rantings is not the point. I do not agree with him, but he is still a human being, who is sometimes thirsty and hungry. That is the lesson of tolerance.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not wish to hear the crazy old man on the corner either. I can choose to get upset at his biblical pronouncements and prayer, or I can choose not to get upset. I choose not to get upset with him. We leave him water and sometimes a breakfast sammich once in a while.

The fact I do not wish to hear his apocalyptic rantings is not the point. I do not agree with him, but he is still a human being, who is sometimes thirsty and hungry. That is the lesson of tolerance.
It's the old man who needs to learn the lesson of tolerance, not his captive audience.

Not sure where thirst and hunger come into it - he should take a sandwich and drink with him, if it's a problem. 2 minute noodles is another option - food and drink at the same time.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It's the old man who needs to learn the lesson of tolerance, not his captive audience.

Not sure where thirst and hunger come into it - he should take a sandwich and drink with him, if it's a problem.
It does not surprise me you missed the point. I choose not to be his captive audience. I am not going to teach the old man anything. I can only teach myself not to be more concerned about his words than my own actions.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
It does not surprise me you missed the point. I choose not to be his captive audience. I am not going to teach the old man anything. I can only teach myself not to be more concerned about his words than my own actions.
Well, you did say he was crazy, so I guess we shouldn't compare someone with mental health issues, to the world's second largest religion..... or should we?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Well, you did say he was crazy, so I guess we shouldn't compare someone with mental health issues, to the world's second largest religion..... or should we?
Why not? Is the man not a child of god? Is his belief less because of his illness?

Again you miss the point.

He yells with his bible in the air and he is harmless. His words are his poetry yelled at the top of his lungs. Religious street art. Call it what you will. I choose tolerance.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Why not? Is the man not a child of god? Is his belief less because of his illness?

Again you miss the point.

He yells with his bible in the air and he is harmless. His words are his poetry yelled at the top of his lungs. Religious street art. Call it what you will. I choose tolerance.
No, I don't believe he is a child of God. He's a child of his parents.

I guess you're saying call to prayer at universities is fine (regardless of whether you want to hear it or not), because someone with mental health issues, does it on a street corner.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Mohammed is not Jesus.

Allah is God.

A call to prayer once a week that lasts less than two minutes isn't divisive except for people who have no tolerance for other religions. And it's not the people calling for prayer that aren't showing tolerance in this case.
I don't know. A Moslem call for prayer coming out of a Christian chapel is divisive. Like you said Mohammed is not Jesus.

Tolerance is me putting up with your bs.

It isn't bringing your bs into my house.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:29 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
I don't know. A Moslem call for prayer coming out of a Christian chapel is divisive. Like you said Mohammed is not Jesus.

Tolerance is me putting up with your bs.

It isn't bringing your bs into my house.
Is it a Christian chapel or do they use it for all religious services there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies