Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Can't argue.

BTW...how do I get myself one of those Obamaphones?

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...lic/index.html

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...lic/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Lol..I'm not from Michigan so that doesn't help.

I want phones for the whole family...wife, son, parents. Nothing less than an iPhone or one of them high dollar Android phones will do. Need unlimited text and data too.

How can a Detroiter not be from Michigan?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
I'm joking. I don't qualify for a government phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How can a Detroiter not be from Michigan?
Lol...good question.

You see...once upon a time...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis
Nor is it paid for with "tax payer money," as the e-mail claims. Rather, it is funded through the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company, an independent, not-for-profit corporation set up by the Federal Communications Commission. The USF is sustained by contributions from telecommunications companies
First of all, take a look at your latest cell phone bill. Mine has something called the "Fed Universal Service Charge.' Yours might not, but you're still paying for it. Where do you think that those "contributions from telecommunications companies" come from? They come from money paid by customers. So yes it is a tax. The FCC says that it is not a tax, but a 'mandatory contribution.'

Abe Lincoln once asked (paraphrase) 'how many legs does a dog have if we call the tail a leg?' And Abe answered his own question (paraphrase): 'Four. Calling the tail a leg doesn't make it one.'

Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Phones and service are pretty cheap these days. I signed up for a plan last year, costs $10 a month, they gave me a cell phone free. Its just for basic service but thats all I wanted anyway.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Phones and service are pretty cheap these days. I signed up for a plan last year, costs $10 a month, they gave me a cell phone free. Its just for basic service but thats all I wanted anyway.
Use those ten minutes a month wisely.

Just kidding, just kidding.

When I first heard about them here on P&OC, I really believed that they were only for black people who drove Escalades and were seen leaving Whole Foods with a shopping cart full of lobstertails they were going to feed their pet and a box of corndogs they were gonna feed their kids. I believe they were talking on an Obamaphone while they were pushing their cart.

Now I have one and I know that's not at all true. I'm still mostly white, still drive an old sedan and I've yet to qualify for food stamps or actually touch a lobstertail. All that other stuff that was supposed to come with the Obamaphone that the right wing told me was a lie, except for the corndogs. Trust me.

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-17-2015 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 09:42 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Use those ten minutes a month wisely.

Just kidding, just kidding.
Actually 3 hrs 10 min base. Use more, automatically charged more.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Keep fighting the good fight.

What is possibly even more interesting is that for every Universal Service Fund dollar spent on the Lifeline program, two are spent on providing phone service to rural areas. The agrarian types in America's Heartland have their hands deeper in our pockets than the urban poor, and ain't that just a kick in the teeth?
Sure, tell us Sun Valley, Idaho... Lake Tahoe, CA... Grand Targhee,Wyoming... Mammoth, CA...Park City, Colorado or Steamboat, Co is where all the "urban poor" hang out. Think you ought to rethink how much money goes to support the so called outdoor euthanist!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

More importantly, this program isn't even funded by federal taxes:
Technically no it isn't, it's a "fee" on your phone service. Whether you want to call it a tax or a fee is just semantics.

Quote:

was begun in 2008 under Bush, Jr
It was extended to cell phones in 2005, it wasn't until Obama took office that the program and the fraud exploded. Why that it is I don't really know.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I'm joking. I don't qualify for a government phone.

Lol...good question.

You see...once upon a time...

I was joking back, we all knew you were kidding you're WAY ineligible.

I was expecting you to mention the "desert" part...and I was waiting to kid back with the observation that Detroit is a food desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies