Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:21 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What would be some of the wonderful jobs these illegals are working?"

Try the construction industry.

I have a friend who built his mason business up to employing 50 men

A general contractor he had been doing work for for years suddenly didn't give him any more work.

My friend visited one site and saw ALL of the brick and block workers were Hispanic.

This how it works. The contractor gets a check from the general contractor. The contractor cashes the check and pays his workers in cash.

The general contractor is not aware, or obligated to be, of how the contractors he has hired pay their employees.

My friend reported the other contractor to the County Executives office. An investigation was done and the contractor who had employed the illegals was arrested, and found guilty in court.

It really isn't that hard to "scam" the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Ah yes, the proverbial "I Know someone" argument. That obviously must mean the story is 100 percent accurate .

Then there are those of us that live this firsthand.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Bull ****, but keep telling yourself that fairy tale . A few years ago Georgia passed a restrictive law on agriculture based on the concept of running the illegals out and giving jobs back to hard working Georgians. You know what the result was? They had to ship more Hispanics in on the guest worker program in order to fill their quotas, because none of the natives applied. On the Eastern shore of Maryland we have crab picking plants that have to do the same thing. Because none of the natives want to pick crab meat for 10 hours a day, in 90 degree heat, for 9 bucks as hour.

You are correct, the majority of them that come to this Country are not working on the farms. However, the types of jobs they are working are not the ones native Americans want to work. They work non skilled menial labor jobs that don't require a high wage because the skill level isn't that great. If Americans were beating down the door for these jobs than they wouldn't be here. If so many workers were losing their jobs to them than they wouldn't be here either, because the workers would vote to ensure that didn't happen. The reason most people don't is because they aren't affected by their presence.

You can also save the little anecdote about the contractor you know that was driven out of business by a competitor hiring illegals that you are about to tell me, because I have heard it before .
Uh; try again. MOST illegal aliens DON'T work on farms. They are a BIG reason why wages in construction have gone down.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Easy to say while you sit in your house in suburbia with all the creature comforts known to man and have likely never lived in the poverty levels that they have .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
It is so, so easy to sit in suburban home, free from crime and poverty and rail on people you've never met that you're local conservative pundit have made out to be the enemy. Do any of you, any of you, realize what life is like in Mexico? Violent crime on the streets is commonplace. Poverty is rampant. The government is basically an organized mafia, did you not read about those hundreds of college students abducted and burnt alive by the government for protesting? Immigrating to America, unless you get the green card lottery(which is very small) is extremely difficult. Extremely. You need to have valuable skills, i.e. and education, to get in at all, you need to be fluent in English, you need to have job sponsorship. It can take years. Years. When your family's lives are on the line you would flee. Does this mean I support illegal immigration? No, of course not, but immigration should be increased. Do you know why? You see, because of immigration, we are not going to suffer what is perhaps one of the most critical crisis Europe and Japan will face - the retirement of the current generation. They will have far more people retired then working. Tthe US, because of immigration, won't.
Not our problem. Let those messed up countries fix themselves. We have enough problems of our own. Sheesh!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
It is so, so easy to sit in suburban home, free from crime and poverty and rail on people you've never met that you're local conservative pundit have made out to be the enemy. Do any of you, any of you, realize what life is like in Mexico? Violent crime on the streets is commonplace. Poverty is rampant. The government is basically an organized mafia, did you not read about those hundreds of college students abducted and burnt alive by the government for protesting? Immigrating to America, unless you get the green card lottery(which is very small) is extremely difficult. Extremely. You need to have valuable skills, i.e. and education, to get in at all, you need to be fluent in English, you need to have job sponsorship. It can take years. Years. When your family's lives are on the line you would flee. Does this mean I support illegal immigration? No, of course not, but immigration should be increased. Do you know why? You see, because of immigration, we are not going to suffer what is perhaps one of the most critical crisis Europe and Japan will face - the retirement of the current generation. They will have far more people retired then working. Tthe US, because of immigration, won't.
"Age. Compared with the citizen population, a relatively small share of noncitizens are under the age of 25 or over 65. In 2012, about one-fifth of the noncitizen popu- lation was under age 25, compared with about one-third of the citizen population (see Table 2 on page 7). In that year, only 7 percent of noncitizens were at least 65 years old, less than half the share among citizens. In contrast, nearly three-quarters of the noncitizen population was of working age (between 25 and 64 years old), compared with about half of the citizen population. According to DHS, most of the unauthorized residents were between 25 and 54 years old in 2012—about three-quarters of the unauthorized population were in that age group, compared with about half of citizens."

The kicker...

"Marital Status and Fertility. Marriage and fertility rates are generally higher among young female noncitizens than among their citizen counterparts. In 2012, 17 per- cent of female noncitizens ages 15 to 24 were or had been married, roughly double the share of female citizens; about two-thirds of female noncitizens ages 25 to 34 were or had been married, compared with just over half of female citizens. (The available data do not permit a reli- able estimate of the percentage of marriages in which one spouse is an unauthorized resident.) The fertility rate— the expected number of births—among female non- citizens between the ages of 15 and 49 was 2.3, compared with a fertility rate of 1.8 for female citizens in the same age range.

Educational Attainment. Noncitizens’ educational attain- ment also differs considerably from that of citizens. In 2012, about 40 percent of the noncitizen population between the ages of 25 and 64 had less than a high school diploma or GED, more than four times the share of the citizen population. A similar share of citizens and noncit- izens had a high school diploma or GED, but citizens were much more likely than noncitizens to have at least some college education (64 percent compared with 38 percent)."

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...mmigration.pdf

Look, I'm not particularly fond of any people including citizens and non-citizens but if you think taking on uneducated baby machines firmly attached to the welfare state is going to solve your demographic problems you're sorely mistaken.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:36 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Bull ****, but keep telling yourself that fairy tale . A few years ago Georgia passed a restrictive law on agriculture based on the concept of running the illegals out and giving jobs back to hard working Georgians. You know what the result was? They had to ship more Hispanics in on the guest worker program in order to fill their quotas, because none of the natives applied. On the Eastern shore of Maryland we have crab picking plants that have to do the same thing. Because none of the natives want to pick crab meat for 10 hours a day, in 90 degree heat, for 9 bucks as hour.

You are correct, the majority of them that come to this Country are not working on the farms. However, the types of jobs they are working are not the ones native Americans want to work. They work non skilled menial labor jobs that don't require a high wage because the skill level isn't that great. If Americans were beating down the door for these jobs than they wouldn't be here. If so many workers were losing their jobs to them than they wouldn't be here either, because the workers would vote to ensure that didn't happen. The reason most people don't is because they aren't affected by their presence.

You can also save the little anecdote about the contractor you know that was driven out of business by a competitor hiring illegals that you are about to tell me, because I have heard it before .
You're the one spouting BS! If those Georgia farmers had used the unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign ag workers they wouldn't have been in that predicament in the first place. It is also nonsense that most other jobs Americans won't do for a fair wage. Learn the truth rather that spouting nonsense. Illegal aliens have flooded the construction, landscaping, restaurant, etc. industries. Are those jobs Americans will not do?

By the way, reading comprehension problem much? It wasn't I that mentioned a contractor that was driven out of business by businesses that hire illegal aliens although I know it happens. Try keeping your posters straight, will you?

Doesn't matter even if an employer can't find an American to do a certain job. They still have no right to hire illegal aliens. It is against the law but apparently that means nothing to you.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:

We have 23 million Americans out of work but we should increase our immigration quotas? Not our problem about Mexico or any other country. It is committing national suicide to import all their poor citizens here who are also unskilled and uneducated. Those kinds are a burden to our society.

If we need more workers down the line because of many Americans retiring then so be it but that's not the case right now and we certainly shouldn't be importing the above.

Most Mexicans who come here (and they are the largest group) are not fleeing from their lives being in danger. If that were so, then they would be claiming refugee status but they're not. We have no immigration category based on economic need and rightly so. Doesn't matter how hard it is to migrate here. There are reasons we have quotas. They are in place to protect our own citizens or doesn't that matter to you?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:41 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Just for the record, illegal immigrants problem is not just a Mexican problem. So don't even bother to paint every anti-illegal American citizen some kind of anti-Mexican racist bigot. Don't even go there, buddy.

A nation that encourages foreigners to enter its territory illegally can hardly be considered a sovereign nation. Period, simple like that.

If you want a debate, debate fairly.

Not long ago, some argued that Nearly Half of Illegal Immigrants Overstay Visas, so it is not like most of these illegals are poor Mexican farmers. Get your fact straight.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; try again. MOST illegal aliens DON'T work on farms. They are a BIG reason why wages in construction have gone down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not our problem. Let those messed up countries fix themselves. We have enough problems of our own. Sheesh!
Exactly. We have enough problems of our own.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the proverbial "I Know someone" argument. That obviously must mean the story is 100 percent accurate .
"Ah yes, the proverbial "I Know someone" argument."

Ah, yes, the proverbial "I don't know the person posting so I will call them a liar because I don't like what they are saying.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Just for the record, illegal immigrants problem is not just a Mexican problem. So don't even bother to paint every anti-illegal American citizen some kind of anti-Mexican racist bigot. Don't even go there, buddy.

A nation that encourages foreigners to enter its territory illegally can hardly be considered a sovereign nation. Period, simple like that.

If you want a debate, debate fairly.

Not long ago, some argued that Nearly Half of Illegal Immigrants Overstay Visas, so it is not like most of these illegals are poor Mexican farmers. Get your fact straight.
In my post alone I said Mexico and other countries. But the fact remains that most illegal aliens are from Mexico and no it does not make one an anti-Mexican racist, bigot to point that fact out. You are correct also that 40% of illegal aliens are visa over stayers and they are from many different countries. They all need to go back home where they belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies