Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
My child would be without medical insurance right now if it wasn't for Obama care.

Lets assume that the Republicans dominate the government in 2017 including the Supreme Court. What do you believe that the Republicans would for the average middle class worker?
I'm happy for your child. S/he was a winner in the ACA insurance lottery. Others were the losers of their cheaper, more comprehensive health insurance policies, however.

As to your second question, I sincerely meant what I said....we will have to wait and see what policies our new congress and future presidential candidates advocate in 2016. I concur the GOP has done a **** poor job understanding and providing opportunities for the middle class in the recent past. After the tone deaf campaign by Romney, hopefully our new candidates will 'get' the need to come up with policies that strengthen and support our country's middle class and be able to articulate them well to the voters. We will see....

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-17-2015 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:31 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
My child would be without medical insurance right now if it wasn't for Obama care.

Lets assume that the Republicans dominate the government in 2017 including the Supreme Court. What do you believe that the Republicans would for the average middle class worker?
There's no denying it's helping some people/families, while at the same time hurting many more. Nothing in this world is free, and there are always unintended consequences when government intervenes in the way they did with ACA.

They could have accomplished the same result by simply mandating pre-existing condition rules, and subsidizing the low income demographic, and they know it. It wasn't so much about insuring everyone as it was taking over the management of lives (nanny state) in perpetuity.

Both parties are guilty of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm happy for your child. S/he was a winner in the ACA insurance lottery. Others were the losers of their cheaper, more comprehensive health insurance policies, however.

After the tone deaf campaign by Romney, hopefully our new candidates will 'get' the need to come up with policies that strengthen and support our country's middle class and be able to articulate them well to the voters. We will see....
Exactly right... ACA will inevitably become a good example of shred misery as all the mandates kick, conveniently after Obama is long gone.

Romney wasn't tone deaf, he was honest. The 47% remarks that killed his run were a self-fulfilling prophecy. Another example of the LI voter wanting to hear a lie, rather than the truth.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:34 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
There's no denying it's helping some people/families, while at the same time hurting many more. Nothing in this world is free, and there are always unintended consequences when government intervenes in the way they did with ACA.
When you design policies to benefit only the exceptions, then the rule is that everyone gets hurt.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I do not anticipate Hillary changing much, and we should still be in the midst of our good economic trend (200k plus new jobs/month).

Well I hope we will retain ACA, as I'm not a fan of Hillary's Single-payer ideas, and nothing else is possible to pass . Hopefully, instead of pols focusing on repeal which will never happen, they will actually focus on issues affecting the year they are truly a part of.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:45 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I do not anticipate Hillary changing much, and we should still be in the midst of our good economic trend (200k plus new jobs/month).

Well I hope we will retain ACA, as I'm not a fan of Hillary's Single-payer ideas, and nothing else is possible to pass . Hopefully, instead of pols focusing on repeal which will never happen, they will actually focus on issues affecting the year they are truly a part of.
Good economy?

Tell that to this thread...

Small Business Is Dying in the US

The idea that we're in a thriving economy is utterly preposterous.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:51 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
After Obama anything will be an improvement.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:01 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
pnwmdk,

Yes, a good economy. Every year of our existence, under every POTUS, some sector of the economy underperforms.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
What I am asking is: Will the Republicans improve life for the average American?
Will a Republican start a new war?
How will the Republicans save Social Security?
Do they have the will to save Social Security?
Federal spending has stopped going up since Republicans took the US House in 2010. That is less debt burden on your child if he/she grows up to become a taxpayer. Currently we are at around $250,000 of debt per US federal income tax payer.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:

Keep Al Sharpton away from the centers of power.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

As to your second question, I sincerely meant what I said....we will have to wait and see what policies our new congress and future presidential candidates advocate in 2016. I concur the GOP has done a **** poor job understanding and providing opportunities for the middle class in the recent past. After the tone deaf campaign by Romney, hopefully our new candidates will 'get' the need to come up with policies that strengthen and support our country's middle class and be able to articulate them well to the voters. We will see....
Are you indicating that you think the Dems have done such a wonderful job for the middle class in the last 6 years? Which would be part of the reason that they got kicked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies