Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, I will believe what the facts bear out.

You're arguing I should accept your opinion while you consistently argue that facts are not needed and are immaterial to your belief.

Having operated a business, I have struggled now for quite some time, trying to understand how you emulate a small business while being a giant corporation - and why and how you would do so. I can find no rational explanation for anyone even doing it, much less having witnessed any actual such behavior. Ever.
Nowhere did I argue with you nor try to accept my "opinion".
You are free to believe what you want.

Nor did I say that "facts are not needed". In fact go off and do your own research and come to your own conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 02:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nowhere did I argue with you nor try to accept my "opinion".
You are free to believe what you want.

Nor did I say that "facts are not needed". In fact go off and do your own research and come to your own conclusion.
What am I supposed to 'research'?

What data can I possibly collect?

How do I find these myriad small businesses which are actually a masquerade for a giant corporation which has gone to incredible lengths to appear to be a bunch of small ones, just to get those people who won't spend money in a big company's establishment, but will in a small one?

And if it's such a profound deception, how could it be found anyway? If it's a big conspiracy, all the internet will be scrubbed clean.

So, provide the evidence or apologize for the silly argument.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:

How do I find these myriad small businesses which are actually a masquerade for a giant corporation which has gone to incredible lengths to appear to be a bunch of small ones, just to get those people who won't spend money in a big company's establishment, but will in a small one?

And if it's such a profound deception, how could it be found anyway? If it's a big conspiracy, all the internet will be scrubbed clean.

And here you are telling me to "prove it". You can't prove me wrong, can you.

Start with the SBA OIG reports and read about the loopholes corporates use to get SBA funding and government contracts.

The likes of Apple, GM, GE, BofA are getting loans/contracts meant for small business via loophole the government created.

That is at the high government level.

At the local level it has to be done grass roots.

My local farmer market has a form. You have to have your farm in the county and they will come to inspect it before they let you sell there. And that was done because truckloads of commercial food was being sold there.

And it's still being done in the Austin farmer markets.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Government.
So your saying if government regulations weren't involved that everything will be ok? Why don't you test your theory ok? Go checkout corporations that outsourced U.S jobs to countries with little or no government regulations on labor and what do you see? Alot look like sweat shops days of past yes?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So your saying if government regulations weren't involved that everything will be ok? Why don't you test your theory ok? Go checkout corporations that outsourced U.S jobs to countries with little or no government regulations on labor and what do you see? Alot look like sweat shops days of past yes?
Even with government regulations we are not safe.

Remember the gluten imports that killed many pets ?
Remember the tooth paste that killed people ?

Imported products and governments did not catch them even with all the high regulations.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:38 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Wall Street did no such thing.

The decreases in the cost of transportation, automation, information technology, and the evolution of people's buying patterns reduced the small, impossibly inefficient and understocked general retailer to the far margins. They, like the buggy blanket, simply became obsolete.

In the east, there are huge areas where the towns are 7 - 20 miles apart, simply because that's how far you could reasonably travel to get to where you needed something. Today, in rural America, it's more like 50 to 70 miles, in a fraction of the time. And thus, all those numerous, individual tiny retailers in tiny towns (themselves gone) now have gone, because their market has gone.

This evolution is more than a century in the making. The train was the first big disruption, and they've been happening ever since.

This lament about the small, independent retailer being something we need to keep is strange, to say the least. The markups on what he sold you were HUGE compared to today, the labor he paid was no better than today, and the stability of his enterprise was less. The competition in products and services has benefited us immensely by comparison to the "loss" of inefficient retail business models.

If you wish to see this market in action, there's a few places you can go, still. Try the poor neighborhoods around NYC and Chicago and a few other cities, where the large, efficient retailers cannot go, and transportation to the better retailers is impractical. The ghettos pay far more for food because of it.

Do we want that model for us all?
Wall Street contribution to this trend is substrntial. They make huge fortunes from mergers, acquisitions and IPO. They also encourage (actually press) for outsourcing.
But there are serious downsides to chains and mega corporations:
They limit assortment and choices. Half the US is limited to what Walmart's buyer wanted. It's probably the most powerful positionin America. The other problem is with businesses too large to fail. Banks come first in mind but it goes far beyond.
In agriculture for example: 2 huge farms in CA provide 80% of the scallions supply for the entire US, including me on the east coast. Who benefits from that? Does it make sense?
From the theoretical perspective, we aren't really capitalist in the classic sense anymore. It's crony capitalism, or corporatism. Remove Wall Street from the equation and nothing of the current trend remains.
But I agree there are other factors at work, such as technology, automation and cheaper access to many things.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-17-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 04:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Yes, but we have to compete with China. Does US block imports from China because they don't follow our regulations? For the most part US is open to all imports and the public is exposed to all dangers, albeit via China. What the excessive regulation regime caused is putting thousands of domestic companies out of business while we consume Asian unregulated products.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Here's a question for you. How long can a small business operate as a small business after being bought out by a corporation? (Hint..look at government laws).

Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Believe me, running a small business is absolutely nuts with registrations, licensing, taxes, taxes and more taxes........it makes me wonder why I do it.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Don't forget that franchises are also listed as small businesses. A Walmart retail location is a small business.
As usual, you don't know WTF you're talking about. Check your facts, "knowlege is key".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies