Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 AM

58,936 posts, read 27,247,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Again to virtually all infantrymen snipers are cowards. Simply the question of whether you are the sniper or the snipee.

That is why the job is seldom featured. YOu don't feature things of dubious stature.
"Again to virtually all infantrymen snipers are cowards." And you to this unfounded conclusion, how?

Exactly how many infantrymen did you interview?

Just for your information, I did 2 tours in Viet Nam and NEVER heard of such an asinine opinion.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM

39,169 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Again to virtually all infantrymen snipers are cowards." And you to this unfounded conclusion, how?

Exactly how many infantrymen did you interview?

Just for your information, I did 2 tours in Viet Nam and NEVER heard of such an asinine opinion.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
By that way thinking anyone who is an artilleryman or bomber pilot or naval gunnery officer or anyone else who deals with long-range attacks is a "garbage man" too. Sniping in a part of war and war is by nature an ugly business. If you are going to partake in war, you should do it SMART - and sniping (as are all long-range attacks) is SMART. It strikes the enemy without putting yourself at risk.

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.” GS Patton.

Ken
I think he used a term a little saltier than 'guy.'

Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,819,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Here is Michael Moore's view of American Sniper from his tweet:
My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse

Michael Moore Slams

I guess Moore won't be voting for it for best picture.
What a goober. Are there people out there who actually place any importance on his opinion????

Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,368,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What a goober. Are there people out there who actually place any importance on his opinion????
Apparently not the viewers:
'American Sniper' smashes records with $90M weekend

Record weekend for a January movie.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:36 AM

28,354 posts, read 16,362,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ill wait till its on netflix. I hate paying top dollar for propaganda.

Just saw it yesterday, it's far from propaganda.

If anything, it paints a powerful picture about the realities of PTSD, as well as some of the horrible things our service members see - and horrible decisions they have to make in very difficult situations - while at war. Chris Kyle's first kill was a young boy who was attempting to throw a grenade at Marine patrol. He struggles with that decision consistently throughout the movie.

Anyone who watches this movie and sees it as nothing more than "Rah! Rah! America, f*ck yeah!" message is either an imbecile incapable of any semblance of complex thought, or slept through the majority of the movie.

I'll be reading his book this week to get a more complete picture, as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Just saw it yesterday, it's far from propaganda.

If anything, it paints a powerful picture about the realities of PTSD, as well as some of the horrible things our service members see - and horrible decisions they have to make in very difficult situations - while at war. Chris Kyle's first kill was a young boy who was attempting to throw a grenade at Marine patrol. He struggles with that decision consistently throughout the movie.

Anyone who watches this movie and sees it as nothing more than "Rah! Rah! America, f*ck yeah!" message is either an imbecile incapable of any semblance of complex thought, or slept through the majority of the movie.

I'll be reading his book this week to get a more complete picture, as well.
I personally loved the book. My friends have seen this movie and said the movie is a little bit different from the book.

I agree with you, it's far from propaganda.

The book is about being a man, a SEAL, a sniper, a father, and a husband. It is also about love and war. It is much much more than just "killing people."

I think if you enjoyed the movie, you would definitely enjoy the book. It is the most realistic book I have read about war.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,611,282 times
The history of American snipers is older than our nation itself. Hitting the mark at extreme ranges is a skill , highly thought of, unique to our history. Sniping was key in the Revolutionary War, as frontier rifleman tumbled British officers off their horses, at ranges that were considered quite extreme, at that time. Yes, the Neopolianic British Army considered the tactic "ungentlemanly".

Modern snipers work with ranges and conditions that Crockett would faint over. Anyone who considers a sniper to be a coward, is ignorant, to the 10th power. They are, and always have been, on the top shelf of our fighting service people. Human guided, ultimate, precision, under the worst of conditions. Knocking out key targets, mostly human, that control and command the enemies ability to fight. Often, ending whole battles, or preventing them, with one shot.

I plan on seeing this movie, soon. I have, personally, good reason to highly respect and admire the sniper. For both academic and practical standpoint.. Truly, this nation would not exist if they weren't on the job.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The history of American snipers is older than our nation itself. Hitting the mark at extreme ranges is a skill , highly thought of, unique to our history. Sniping was key in the Revolutionary War, as frontier rifleman tumbled British officers off their horses, at ranges that were considered quite extreme, at that time. Yes, the Neopolianic British Army considered the tactic "ungentlemanly".

Modern snipers work with ranges and conditions that Crockett would faint over. Anyone who considers a sniper to be a coward, is ignorant, to the 10th power. They are, and always have been, on the top shelf of our fighting service people. Human guided, ultimate, precision, under the worst of conditions. Knocking out key targets, mostly human, that control and command the enemies ability to fight. Often, ending whole battles, or preventing them, with one shot.

I plan on seeing this movie, soon. I have, personally, good reason to highly respect and admire the sniper. For both academic and practical standpoint.. Truly, this nation would not exist if they weren't on the job.
bolded ^^^^^^ 1000000 times

Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 AM

37,792 posts, read 40,977,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No one is "shocked", and no one makes movies for critics, they make them to make money. Critics criticize movies, that's why they are called critics. People have a taste for war movies, and many have done well, like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, and We Were Soldiers even outside of US, although they were movies about Americas wars.
Actually, yes they are shocked but you have to go back to the industry (Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Entertainment Weekly) business stories to see it. The second link below from Variety came out on January 14, before the weekend and as you can see the expectation was only $48 Million for the extended weekend. The Hollywood Reporter said it did double what it was expected to do. Entertainment Weekly underestimated it even AFTER they saw Friday"s Box Office.

Box-Office Shocker: 'American Sniper' Now Targeting $105M Debut

Box-Office Shocker: 'American Sniper' Now Targeting $105M Debut - The Hollywood Reporter

Clint Eastwood's record-breaking American Sniper continues to astound at the North American box office, where it earned an estimated $90.2 million for the three-day weekend for a projected $105.2 million debut over the long Martin Luther King Jr. weekend — double what it was expected to do and smashing numerous records.

Box-Office Shocker: 'American Sniper' Now Targeting $105M Debut - The Hollywood Reporter

"The Oscar winner’s “American Sniper” has been on a tear playing just four theaters throughout the holidays, but it goes wide this weekend, rolling out to 3,555 venues, where it is expected to make $44 million-$48 million over the four-day Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday.

Box Office: ‘American Sniper’ Aims for Biggest Weekend of Clint Eastwood’s Career | Variety

"If American Sniper keeps on pace through Monday, it’ll make $75-80 million over the four-day holiday weekend."

'American Sniper' takes the Friday box office by surprise | Inside Movies | EW.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.