Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
Kind of odd to me anyways that Virginia made it but the Dakota's didn't...or Iowa...hmmm
One thing to consider about the Dakotas. Both states have among the highest rates of rape in the USA.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, you could have done better than saying "diversity sucks", because that is all anyone will get from that kind of post. I'm the type of person, I spell it out, and specify what I mean, so that there will be no confusion.

And what happened in that East Texas town, was it a diverse town or a homogeneous town?

As for diversity, I've never had big issues when I was among diverse crowds. Where I had the most issues was in a homogeneous setting where I stood out in some way shape or form.
Let's be honest for a change, when you say diversity you mean "less white people" and when you claim that you've had issues in homogeneous settings you mean settings where it was you (a black person) around mostly or all white people. You would never admit that you wouldn't have any issues in a homogeneous setting of all black people. You only dislike homogeneous settings when the people aren't your skin color.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Let's be honest for a change, when you say diversity you mean "less white people" and when you claim that you've had issues in homogeneous settings you mean settings where it was you (a black person) around mostly or all white people. You would never admit that you wouldn't have any issues in a homogeneous setting of all black people. You only dislike homogeneous settings when the people aren't your skin color.
I've had issues in a homogeneous setting where it was mostly Blacks. Because I wasn't "Black enough", I had issues. One point, I worked at a restaurant where I was the one of two Blacks working alongside a mostly Hispanic staff. Some of the persons made fun of me and gave me problems.

This is what I know and have experienced. The times I had the best times, I was in a setting where people actually respected me, and didn't make me feel like crap because I was different. Didn't matter what their race or ethnicity they were. Situations where I was around mostly Whites and I got along just fine: College/Church. Places where I had problems: High school/people who had the "redneck mentality".

When I say "diverse", I do not mean less Whites. Do not put words in my mouth. What I was saying is this. To say the less diverse the better, I don't really buy that, and I base this on my experiences. I've been in homogeneous setting and I still had alot of problems.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Situations where I was around mostly Whites and I got along just fine: College. Places where I had problems: High school/people who had the "redneck mentality".

When I say "diverse", I do not mean less Whites. Do not put words in my mouth.
I don't need to put words in your mouth, you put them there yourself.

To many people including you more diversity = less white people, you may lie about it but we know it's true.

When people like you want more diversity in the workplace you mean less white people. When you cry about more diversity in a city you mean more people who aren't white. It's not some big secret, we know.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Well, you could have done better than saying "diversity sucks", because that is all anyone will get from that kind of post. I'm the type of person, I spell it out, and specify what I mean, so that there will be no confusion.
I am simply countering all those who praise diversity without giving any reason why. What we should do is mitigate the conflict that comes with diversity. Decreasing diversity should be a goal and by that I mean the melting pot.

Racial diversity should be a non-issue. Cultural diversity, on the other hand, is a major issue.

I have more in common with you than some redneck white boy and you have more in common with me than some urban black criminal.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't need to put words in your mouth, you put them there yourself.

To many people including you more diversity = less white people, you may lie about it but we know it's true.

When people like you want more diversity in the workplace you mean less white people. When you cry about more diversity in a city you mean more people who aren't white. It's not some big secret, we know.
When did I say I wanted more diversity in the workplace? I said it doesn't matter to me. You accuse me of all of these things. The burden of proof is on YOU. Prove it.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am simply countering all those who praise diversity without giving any reason why. What we should do is mitigate the conflict that comes with diversity. Decreasing diversity should be a goal and by that I mean the melting pot.

Racial diversity should be a non-issue. Cultural diversity, on the other hand, is a major issue.
Well, making ad hominem statements aren't going to do much other that cause more problems. Why not just specify "Racial diversity, I have no problem with. It is a non issue. The point is to have a shared culture and to be united. The point is the strive for the melting pot". That would have been a better, and more clear way of putting it, as well as doing so in the first place.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Well, making ad hominem statements aren't going to do much other that cause more problems. Why not just specify "Racial diversity, I have no problem with. It is a non issue. The point is to have a shared culture and to be united. The point is the strive for the melting pot". That would have been a better, and more clear way of putting it, as well as doing so in the first place.
I disagree. Sometimes you make bold unqualified statements in order to shake people out of the standard arguments. It is not like I cannot qualify my statements on later posts. Blind promoters of diversity have really created some serious problems in Europe and those who celebrate diversity really need to define what they are celebrating. What I celebrate is when we make progress toward a society where we all at least share the Golden Rule as a guideline.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
When did I say I wanted more diversity in the workplace? I said it doesn't matter to me. You accuse me of all of these things. The burden of proof is on YOU. Prove it.
This isn't a court room, there is no burden of proof. I made some statements and I stand by them, if you don't like what I said then run along. I specifically said "people like you" meaning people who talk about diversity but claim that they don't care about it when really they do.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
One of my kids did for college. Minnesota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies