Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
That is the problem with our tax system. Half the people pay nothing AND many of them get tax credits so they actually get money back. No one should ever get more than they pay unless it's some kind of income averaging working with taxes they paid in the past. Taxes shouldn't have built in welfare. If you need welfare get welfare but you shouldn't automatically get more back than you paid in. So it's really worse than the bottom 50% not paying. Many also take out of the system.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Its called being a responsible adult....I thought everyone knew that college educations get you a higher salary. Either that or you work harder than the other guy and get promoted but it takes longer than the college route.... and before you ask, you pay for college yourself like I did working 2 jobs while taking classes
I'm curious about a few things.

What job(s) did you hold while you attended classes?

What college did you go to?

At level did you graduate (AA, BA, MA, MFA, Ph.D, etc)?

What was your major and what type of job do now hold?

Did you graduate 100% debt free?

Where did you live while you were in college?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Its called being a responsible adult....I thought everyone knew that college educations get you a higher salary. Either that or you work harder than the other guy and get promoted but it takes longer than the college route.... and before you ask, you pay for college yourself like I did working 2 jobs while taking classes
Oh so YOU aren't teaching anybody anything. Got it. Ever consider the possibility that a lot of these people can't afford college even though they are already working two and three jobs trying to make ends meet? Conservatives simply do not live in the real world.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:07 AM

37,188 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Quote:
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
As soon as they make a living wage, of course. That's why the minimum wage needs to be fifteen dollars.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:09 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'd say many in the bottom 50% pay their fair share by working for unlivable wages so the rich could live off their backs.

That's touchy feely left wing moralizing. I'm sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside about what an enlightened compassionate soul you are, but it's a good thing that we don't actually try to run the economy with that kind of ignorance or the economy would collapse.

The economy cannot sustain paying ditch diggers and burger flippers middle class wages. You could take every single penny the Walton family has and it wouldn't be enough to give their 2+ million employees even a $1/hr raise. For every one rich person there are thousands and thousands of lower class people. The rich simply do not have enough money to spread around. Most of the wealth that wealthy people have is not liquid assets. You can't eat real estate. And if somehow the magical money fairy did rain dollars down to pay everyone a living wage, then inflation would simply destroy the value of that money and put people right back into poverty. And businesses aren't free. It takes large concentrations of capital to create and expand businesses, and creating and expanding businesses are what creates jobs in the first place. One person with a million dollars can create a dozen jobs. A thousand people with a few dollars extra don't create jobs. How can leftists not get this? These people are all about the science and ridiculing "deniers" about climate change and evolution, but when it comes to economics, they act exactly the same with their populist rhetoric that denies incontrovertible economic fact.

I mean seriously. If you take a million dollars away from the CEO and distribute it amongst thousands of employees, they each will only end up getting a few dollars. If everyone's income rises, then the cost of living will rise too. Are these concepts really so difficult to grasp?

Last edited by kidkaos2; 01-20-2015 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Well it shouldn't matter, right? According to mmmjv, just working a job is considered "paying my fair share".
Uh; are you Ok with paying the "hired help" lots more money then so they ain't "dead weight"? People like that are NEEDED to keep any country running.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
As soon as they make a living wage, of course. That's why the minimum wage needs to be fifteen dollars.
You do realize that the worker whose labor is only worth $8 or $10 is not going to ever see the $15, don't you?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
raising the min wage will do nothing for those "poor"...but it will certainly screw the middleclass workers already making 15-25 per hour

raising the min wage is a poor choice

Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
That's touchy feely left wing moralizing. I'm sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside about what an enlightened compassionate soul you are, but it's a good thing that we don't actually try to run the economy with that kind of ignorance or the economy would collapse.

The economy cannot sustain paying ditch diggers and burger flippers middle class wages. You could take every single penny the Walton family has and it wouldn't be enough to give their 2+ million employees even a $1/hr raise. For every one rich person there are thousands and thousands of lower class people. The rich simply do not have enough money to spread around. Most of the wealth that wealthy people have is not liquid assets. You can't eat real estate. And if somehow the magical money fairy did rain dollars down to pay everyone a living wage, then inflation would simply destroy the value of that money and put people right back into poverty. It's such a blindingly obvious and simple fact that it's astounding that leftist morons can't grasp it. It's basic mathematics.
There is nothing touchy feely about what I said.

The rest of your post is trickle down nonsense.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
I always love how the argument is made "Oh yeah inflation exists, but we shouldn't allow minimum wage to keep up with it because of reasons".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies