Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I always love how the argument is made "Oh yeah inflation exists, but we shouldn't allow minimum wage to keep up with it because of reasons".

Yep.

The economy can't sustain livable wages for the working class but it can sustain bloated salaries, pensions and tax holes for the rich.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:37 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
There'd be less need for a higher minimum wage if the US would grow a pair and, seriously go after and DEPORT any illegal alien found. THAT would push up wages real fast. Not all jobs can be outsourced or done by robots.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:38 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
These people often pay a lot, just not directly to government. For example, rental property is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes in most states, so they are paying a lot of excess property taxes. In one place I lived, property taxes represented 40% of the rent. And where would these people get the money to pay more in direct taxes? More than half my income is consumed by rent, I already gave at the rent office.
You do love to twist things around.

A tenant does NOT pay property tax.

Unless you are allowed to look at your landlord's books, you have NO idea what percentage of your rent is tax, mortgage, upkeep, etc.

Rental property does not have a tax exemption because they are a business.

The market decides your rent. Taxes, mortgage, insurance, upkeep, repair - they all must be paid, but the market makes the ultimate decision. That's why you don't have wildly varying rents, otherwise that rental that's paid off would be cheaper, the house that's upside down would be higher.

How much you choose to pay for rent is all on you, and a result of your living situation. When I rented a house (3 years ago) it didn't even come close to comprising half my income.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Left love the word, "subsidize," unless it's the wealthier citizens subsidizing the slothful. You've heard their claim, that businesses are "subsidized" by the government's welfare payments [transfer payments] to low wage employees. However, they will never call unfairly taxing the "rich" more to pay for this welfare what it truly is.
How much are you proposing to hike the taxes for low income earners?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Are you calling for a complete elimination of the social safety net programs? That is 12% of the budget.
That doesn't make sense. FY 2011 spending on federal means-tested programs for the low-income was $746 billion according to the Congressional Research Service:
[scribd]110366590[/scribd]

The federal government spent $3.6 trillion that year. Federal means-tested programs for the low-income spending was 20.7% of expenditures.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget...ets/tables.pdf

That makes federal means-tested programs for the low-income the largest item in the federal budget, even larger than Social Security or Defense.

Note that the CBO did not separate Medicare spending from Medicaid (the means-tested health program for the low-income) spending.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You do love to twist things around.

A tenant does NOT pay property tax.

Unless you are allowed to look at your landlord's books, you have NO idea what percentage of your rent is tax, mortgage, upkeep, etc.

Rental property does not have a tax exemption because they are a business.

The market decides your rent. Taxes, mortgage, insurance, upkeep, repair - they all must be paid, but the market makes the ultimate decision. That's why you don't have wildly varying rents, otherwise that rental that's paid off would be cheaper, the house that's upside down would be higher.

How much you choose to pay for rent is all on you, and a result of your living situation. When I rented a house (3 years ago) it didn't even come close to comprising half my income.
If my landlord doesn't pay property taxes with my rent money, he's an idiot.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:57 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
To me its strange that the OP is complaining that people and families earning under 50K/yr need to pay more in taxes. No the people who benefit the most should have a higher rate. More tax brackets above 500K need to be created. Those who make the most have the ability and the knowledge to earn more and get even better returns.

I have learned in my life that tax rates do not stop me from working, I started with nothing and made a lot. I will continue to earn as much as possible. Human nature.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Someone may have already noted this, but when it comes to state and local taxes the poor pay twice as much as the wealthy.
The bottom 40% are compensated for that by having negative effective federal income tax rates. Here's the average effective TOTAL federal tax rates each income group pays (note that it includes, payroll, corporate, and estate taxes):

Permission to share granted here: File:US federal effective tax rates by income percentile and component.gif - Wikimedia Commons

Data source: Average Effective Federal Tax Rates

" *Individual income tax rates for the lowest and second lowest quintiles are negative and are netted against the payroll tax rate. A quintile is one fifth of the population. Calculations assume that employees also pay the employer portion of payroll taxes in the form of reduced wages. The breaks are (in 2013 dollars): 20% $24,191; 40% $47,261; 60% $79,521; 80% $134,266; 90% $180,482; 95% $261,471; 99% $615,048; 99.9% $3,170,865."

Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tituspullo View Post
thats a half measure (Mike Ermentraut)

PUNISH AND JAIL EMPLOYERS who fail to follow the LAW and E VERIFY their employees

if the employers faced jail time they would not employ illegals and the
( MITT ROMNEY) would self deport
Im 100% on board with this. Jail time for those knowingly employing illegals, with e-verify being required. The failure to pass a law such is this is 100% indicative of who actually is running our government.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's who benefits the most from local, state, and federal spending, per dollar of tax paid:

(The image appearing in this post does not violate copyright law. The Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc. ruling in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit explained why the method of inline linking which causes the image to appear in this post does not violate US copyright law.)

What you're saying is that the bottom 60% should have the highest tax rates.
Sigh What nonsense. Seriously, lets have a honest debate ok? Defense represents more then 10% of our spending.....looking at your chart its obvious that somehow....the bottom quintile gets more of a benefit then the top one by a factor of what? 99%?

thus...its obvious that your embedded linkage is based upon a faulty premise.

Lets argue with reality, not cherry picked nonsense OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies