Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times

Advertisements

"Dr." Martin Luther King's doctoral dissertation has numerous instances of blatant, outright plagiarism. His degree should be stripped from him. It would already have been stripped -- if he were white.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Why not? 78% of Americans are Christians and observe the holidays. Financial/Stock market is already closed on Good Friday as well, and little/no business done in most of the world because most countries observe Good Friday and Easter Monday nationally. We also need a holiday in spring; currently there is none between President's Day and Memorial Day (3 months)!
78% say that because they are put on the spot in polls. Far fewer are what would you call active believers.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
I believe that MLK Day and Columbus Day should be gone from federal holidays and be replaced with Good Friday and Easter Monday just like vast majority of other industrial/western countries. Indeed, even some non-majority Christian countries with secular government and even stricter separation of church/state than us observes Good Friday (and in some cases Easter Monday as well). There are secular reasons for the observance of those two holidays, and we are in need of a spring holiday. Some individual states already observe Good Friday as a state holiday where the state offices and DMV's are closed, as do many public schools close on it so there is no conflict with 1st Amendment as long as you provide a secular reason for the observance.

MLK and Columbus Day are of course important people in history, but there have been many important people throughout history as well. We cannot pick and choose which people to honor or not. Observing Christian high holidays (observed by many non-Christians in secular tradition) is part of the western world and globalization.
Write your senators and congressman.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Of course, you always have the option of using sick days, too.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I think St Patrick's Day, St Valentines Day, and Halloween have more cultural significance for more people in the US, than many other legal holidays.
If you want cultural significance, let's talk about Super Bowl Monday as a day off.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:54 AM

276 posts, read 330,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What dates would you pick to celebrate Good Friday, Easter and Easter Monday?

Not every Christian in the world celebrates those on the same dates as the U.S.
Obviously on the Western/Gregorian calendar, which happens to be vast majority of American Christians. There are different dates on Christmas as well, but in America like most other places do it on December 25.

There is a tiny minority of Orthodox Christians in America anyway...

Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uh..... congratulations?

I assume you get vacation days from your employer, no? Or, likely, even a "floating holiday" to be used on the day of your choice.

You go right ahead and take Good Friday and the Monday after Easter off, tiger. I fully support your decision to do so.
It's not about me, I want the entire nation to observe them. No government offices, banks, postal offices, etc. should be open. Look at how other countries do it....

Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If you want cultural significance, let's talk about Super Bowl Monday as a day off.
Not everybody watches it, and superbowl takes place on Sunday actually, no other countries observes it, and sporting events should not be a government closing day. Makes no sense at all.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
It's not about me, I want the entire nation to observe them. No government offices, banks, postal offices, etc. should be open. Look at how other countries do it....
So you want to force everyone else to observe YOUR religious holidays? No thanks.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So you want to force everyone else to observe YOUR religious holidays? No thanks.
actually it has no bearing what your beliefs are in determining which religion is correct.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not at all; it's part of globalization and I want more Americans to be globalized and follow 21st century. Today is MLK Day, are you forced to observe it? Christmas Day is a national holiday, are Jews forced to observe it? No. Obviously it's just a day off needed for spring that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.