Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,332,102 times

Advertisements

Restaurant

Quote:
Annie Pennington started waiting tables as a teenager, and remembers serving Delbert Belton, a friend of her father’s.

Belton, a World War II veteran, was beaten to death in August 2013. One black teenager has pleaded guilty. Another will be tried in March.

Belton also was a regular customer at the Hillside Inn Restaurant, Pennington’s family-run diner on Nevada Street. So when Kenan Adams-Kinard pleaded guilty to murder, Pennington thought nothing of changing the sign outside her restaurant to read: “Shorty can’t breathe either.
I have to say, it's good to see someone with the courage to expect a WWII vet murdered by black teens to be as respected or remembered as a violent criminal. And it's also good to see a business that isn't overly afraid of being perceived as not politically correct. ALL LIVES MATTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,483,322 times
I don't get the point of what she put on the sign. The lives of both Belton and Garner matter. If she had put "all lives matter" on the sign, I could understand that. But the one she put up is just confusing. Is she trying to somehow connect Eric Garner (a murder victim) with the person who murdered Belton, because they're both black? That doesn't make any kind of sense at all. Why do you call her courageous?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 PM

The simple fact is the murder of Shorty Belton, a helpless ~90 year old man, by black men, gets virtually no national attention. No protests. The Obama administration didn't sent anyone to honor him at his funeral. Yet Garner, a criminal that was resisting arrest and died as a result of asthma due to his poor physical condition (granted triggered by his arrest) gets thousands of lines of print, of media time and commentary from this administration.

ALL LIVES MATTER. Not just those of people that assault police officers.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 PM

38,993 posts, read 27,378,163 times
Basically, somebody she loved has died, she has every single right to help herself through the grieving process.

I recently lost a veteran friend to suicide. He has been homeless for quite sometime. Anger is one of the emotions I have felt for quite sometime. I am not angry at anybody, but I do understand "all lives matter."

Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
ALL LIVES MATTER. Not just those of people that assault police officers.
Absolutely. So why didn't she put that on the marquee?
Belton's murder was a horrific tragedy. But Pennington's lame nonsensical attempt to implicate Garner in Belton's death just comes over as self-serving and political, and not at all courageous. Garner was black, Belton's slayers were black. Really, that's a connection?

If your beef is with Obama, you should have just said so in your OP.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Absolutely. So why didn't she put that on the marquee?
Belton's murder was a horrific tragedy. But Pennington's lame nonsensical attempt to implicate Garner in Belton's death just comes over as self-serving and political, and not at all courageous. Garner was black, Belton's slayers were black. Really, that's a connection?

If your beef is with Obama, you should have just said so in your OP.
No, my beef isn't with Obama; he is simply one more tool and example of the foolishness of the "I can't breath" idiots. Why do we make such an effort to honor and remember criminals, yet make so little effort to honor and remember the innocent victims of criminals? Why does someone that assaults police officers or resists arrest matter, when an unarmed 90 year old man, slaughtered for fun by some thugs, is ignored? Why is Shorty's life any less important than a Garner or Brown? Don't all lives matter? Where are the protests? The riots? The burned cars and businesses? The victims of vicious assaults carried out in the name of Shorty?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Basically, somebody she loved has died, she has every single right to help herself through the grieving process.
If you have personal knowledge that she was so close to him as to be blindsided by grief and therefore should be forgiven for blaming a young black man in New York for his murder, then please spill.
Otherwise I call this as it is: a right-wing meme exploiting a tragedy for political purposes.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Don't all lives matter? Where are the protests?
Again, absolutely they all matter, and that would have made a great sign. My recollection is that there were vigils, marches, protests, and much press given to Belton's murder. Did you organize or take part in any of them?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 PM

38,993 posts, read 27,378,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you have personal knowledge that she was so close to him as to be blindsided by grief and therefore should be forgiven for blaming a young black man in New York for his murder, then please spill.
Otherwise I call this as it is: a right-wing meme exploiting a tragedy for political purposes.
I think you are overreacting. Grief is a strange emotion, that is all I am trying to say. I hope her anger was caused by grief and grief alone.

Honesty, I don't believe just the veterans lives matter, I think all lives matter.

p.s. Maybe I should have read the op, I didn't know she blamed any blacks, I admit I didn't read.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:29 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,831,048 times
This topic reeks of what biscuitmom said; a right-wing meme that exploits white cop-on-black violence for political expediency. OP wants all of us to bury our heads in the sand and not talk about what needs to be talked about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies