Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times

Advertisements

" Richest 1 percent will own more wealth than the rest by next year."

Good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So if you have two cars someone without a car should be able to steal one of them because it is just sitting there not doing anything.

Who do you think pays the taxes that are levied on corporations?

My fellow CD posters, ask not what others can do for you, ask what you can do for yourself.
-Shooting4life
-Oh look, the 'taxes are theft' argument. We all know how we got to where we are, and we're way way way past the point where we can get all indignant over something as harmless as sharing what we don't even need with people who do. The entire western hemisphere is stolen goods, most of what you own is the product of slavery, and big oil is personally responsible for at least one major ongoing war that has ruined entire generations of people, created terrorist groups that will exist as long as there's an American presence in Islamic countries, and destabilized an entire region of the world for the foreseeable future. And you seriously think that anyone has the right to be upset about making $5 million per year instead of 10? You're like a teenage girl whose life is ruined because she didn't get an iPhone for Christmas.

-The consumers pay it, obviously. I mean, it's not like people can be expected to lower their multi-million dollar salaries to provide affordable goods. They've got to stay competitive or communities might actually try providing for themselves, or even (gasp) find a way to be happy with less clutter and useless crap in their lives!

-LOL... it's amazing how right wingers can turn a plea for more wealth equality into a criminal action where liberals are only looking out for themselves. Where exactly have I demanded that I personally benefit from any of these things? It's obvious that this is a narrative you spin because you want to feel better about being so small-minded and selfish.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
3.5 billion people are struggling to survive while 80 people have more wealth than anyone on this board could possibly imagine.
So why don't we focus on helping the 3.5 billion? Raising taxes will not help the 3.5 billion. Helping them learn a skill will.

Why are you so focused on what other people have?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,296 times
Quote:
-Oh look, the 'taxes are theft' argument. We all know how we got to where we are, and we're way way way past the point where we can get all indignant over something as harmless as sharing what we don't even need with people who do. The entire western hemisphere is stolen goods, most of what you own is the product of slavery, and big oil is personally responsible for at least one major ongoing war that has ruined entire generations of people, created terrorist groups that will exist as long as there's an American presence in Islamic countries, and destabilized an entire region of the world for the foreseeable future. And you seriously think that anyone has the right to be upset about making $5 million per year instead of 10? You're like a teenage girl whose life is ruined because she didn't get an iPhone for Christmas.

-The consumers pay it, obviously. I mean, it's not like people can be expected to lower their multi-million dollar salaries to provide affordable goods. They've got to stay competitive or communities might actually try providing for themselves, or even (gasp) find a way to be happy with less clutter and useless crap in their lives!

-LOL... it's amazing how right wingers can turn a plea for more wealth equality into a criminal action where liberals are only looking out for themselves. Where exactly have I demanded that I personally benefit from any of these things? It's obvious that this is a narrative you spin because you want to feel better about being so small-minded and selfish.
You were the student next to me that wanted to copy my answers cause it wasn't fair that I received an A and you received a C right? Even though you didn't want to earn it? Theft my ---!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:13 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
You were the student next to me that wanted to copy my answers cause it wasn't fair that I received an A and you received a C right? Even though you didn't want to earn it? Theft my ---!
Are you really okay with half of the world's wealth in the hands of one percent of the population? Where one percent of the population owns more than all the rest of the 99 percent of us combined? Do you honestly have no problem with that?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Based on this comment alone, I know that copying your answers would get me a lower grade than guessing. I'm not even going to respond until one of you does better than reciting a right-wing cliche from your preprogrammed list of tired arguments.

Here's a hint: Try the guy who wasn't even allowed to take the exam because his education consisted of a single outdated textbook being passed around the whole school and his lessons being drawn in the dirt.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Are you really okay with half of the world's wealth in the hands of one percent of the population? Where one percent of the population owns more than all the rest of the 99 percent of us combined? Do you honestly have no problem with that?
Should the richest among us give to the poor generously? Yes. Should the government or any other entity steal it and redistribute it? No. My problem is with the wealthy who are stingy and the governments who are greedy.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Grow up.

It's not about any percentage so much as realizing that some people have too much and some people have too little. There are plenty of people below the top 80 who wouldn't exactly be hurting if they lost even 3 quarters of their wealth. I mean, it's just sitting there doing nothing.

At the very least, we could stop pretending tax cuts on huge corporations work, and stop creating a society that encourages unchecked greed and concentrates wealth in this manner.
Grow up.

Consumers pay all corporate taxes so that is a useless debate.

Why should we stop encouraging greed? Greed is a human trait. Greed gets the job done.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So why don't we focus on helping the 3.5 billion? Raising taxes will not help the 3.5 billion. Helping them learn a skill will.

Have you ever actually left the US?
Comments like this reek of a deep ignorance of what real poverty is.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I have no problem with that. Why should I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies