Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,727,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Have you ever actually left the US?
Comments like this reek of a deep ignorance of what real poverty is.
And on the flipside, the rich in our country are richer the some countries and our middle class is richer then most rich people of other countries. So why you wailing about helping those less fortunate then ourselves. We treat other people better then our own and our own at least contributes. As the gap in wealth rises the issues will get worse, expect more SNAP and welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,226,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What bugs me is this, if i even work harder then the guy getting an A and i don't get one, because i learned As are limited.
You are kidding, right?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:29 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,386,595 times
Quote:
And on the flipside, the rich in our country are richer the some countries and our middle class is richer then most rich people of other countries. So why you wailing about helping those less fortunate then ourselves. We treat other people better then our own and our own at least contributes. As the gap in wealth rises the issues will get worse, expect more SNAP and welfare.
"Hey, at least we're not Haiti!" = terrible reason to ignore atrocious GOP policies.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,727,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
You are kidding, right?
About what? Ambition and hardwork will only get you so far. I knew a few guys in college who studied sun up and sun down and worked harder then others that didn't succeed or get top grades. Same in life everyone knows a guy or two who can outwork 4 of his peers and they are not rich.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,226,483 times
Quote:
About what? Ambition and hardwork will only get you so far. I knew a few guys in college who studied sun up and sun down and worked harder then others that didn't succeed or get top grades. Same in life everyone knows a guy or two who can outwork 4 of his peers and they are not rich.
That is true to a certain extent. In my post that you referenced I was referring to the slackers who worked for the C and wanted my A. But yes, there are people who do study hard and still don't get the top grade.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
That is true to a certain extent. In my post that you referenced I was referring to the slackers who worked for the C and wanted my A. But yes, there are people who do study hard and still don't get the top grade.
You can't fix stupid. Yes, not all poor people are lazy. Some are just dumb as a doorknob.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
National Scrip Collectors Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
John and Bill both make 150K a year. Bill has a penchant for hookers and whiskey. John scrips and saves. Thirty years later Bill is broke and sick. John is a multimillionaire.

John collects scrip? I prefer Hard Times tokens.

National Scrip Collectors Association

I have a enchant for rooms in overcrowded houses. Thirty years later I'm broke as well.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
People pursuing their own self interests have done more good for mankind than all the Mother Theresa's of the world. I want them bastards to continue to drive the stock market up.

Exactly how is driving the stock market up good for the tenants of exchange-traded REITs? I'd be quite sore to see my rent skyrocket.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with Adam Smith's Invisible hand?

Does the grocer really give a damn about you...or your congressman?

How does the Invisible Hand work when the two parties to a transaction have drasticaty unequal brgaining power?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Wealth is not finite. When the wealth of the 1% grows so does my 401k.

You do not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Right it grows for everyone who owns some of the same equities that the 1% own.

While millions of Americans own equities directly or (through mutual funds) indirectly about 50% of Americans do not own any equities at all and the bottom (approx) 10% have negative net worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies