Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's short-sighted. It will change culture overall in a matter of just a few years. Within a generation for sure, and it's not a positive change. It will, to quote Obama "fundamentally transform."
How will same sex couples getting married change culture? HOW? Do not just say it will. Back it up with something. Same sex couples have been joining themselves in unions forever, we just have not had the equal access to the marriage rights and protections granted by the government due to religious intrusion into the laws governing the rights of everyone. Those unions over all the years that same sex couples have existed have not destroyed society or culture. So please show us how in words that you think allowing same sex couples the same rights to marriage will somehow change culture. Did allowing interracial marriage to go forth across all 50 states somehow hurt culture? Should we rethink it and allow states that are still opposed to it, start banning them? Fair is fair and if you want to create a system that picks who can be discriminated against for rights, why both begin and stop at gay people? I ask this over and over. Why gays? Why not reenact discrimination against black people, or asians, or jews or take your pick. This country does not deserve to call itself the land of the free or even stand on equality till every single US citizens is exempt from persecution based upon any characteristic and immune from the intolerance of any church.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So the message "God hates homosexuals" is the same as the words 5 Pride Lexington? Really?
no God hates homosexuals is a true and proper statement
5 Pride Lexington is false and evil statement. being is evil is nothing to be prideful in.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
When have gays tried to force anyone to provide a service or product that they don't offer?
Baker? Nope, they offered wedding cakes.
Florist? Nope they offered wedding flowers.
Photographer? Nope they offered wedding photography.

THIS guy is trying to make a bakery make a cake that they do not offer for sale, a "god hates homosexuals" cake.
except their definition of wedding was different from yours, just like my definition of hate speech is different from yours.

2 men can never get married
2 women can never get married
saying god hates gays is not hate speech
saying you can't refuse to sell a cake for a same sex "Wedding" is hate speech

Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree with you. I thought it was ridiculous when the gay couple sued the bakery in Lakewood, CO for not making their wedding cake. I find the current incident in Denver to be just as ridiculous.
except the court ruled in favor of the gays so it's now open season.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-05-2015 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: language

Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They should have offered to just make the cookies without any writing on them. Though to be fair, hating gays isn't a protected class.
yes it is it would fall under religion, or creed.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
If you are willing to write "Good Luck John and Mary" on a wedding cake; but refuse to write "Good Luck John and Bob", or "Good Luck Mustafa and Fatima", or "Good Luck So-yeon and Kim-Soo", you stand a very good chance of running afoul of anti-discrimination laws since an argument could be made that you are discriminating based upon sexual orientation, religion, or ethnicity--all protected classes.

Refusal to write "Happy Birthday Hitler", "We Love The KKK", "Kill The Poor", "Kill The Rich" ", Kill The Commies", "Overthrow The Government", or anything else not referencing a protected class is not a violation af anti-discrimination laws. Businesses can refuse these requests based upon personal taste as long as no protected classes are involved.
I would sooner kill john and bob then write those words.

forcing me to write those words is a violation of my first amendment rights to freedom of exercising my religion, and speech.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Let me explain this to you in a way you might understand. If a gay couple go in and say they want a wedding cake in the shape of two guys having sex and the baker says no, but could sell them a regular wedding cake. That isn't discrimination.

If that same gay couple went in and asked for a wedding cake for their wedding and are denied because they are gay. That is discrimination.

Let me know if that confuses you.
If I only sell wedding cakes that have some validity under Jewish law, and I refuse to sell a wedding cake for a same sex "Wedding" because that has zero validity.

that is not discrimination because
I sell wedding cakes
I don't sell "Wedding" cakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies