Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why assign this idiocy and ignorance to all Americans?
Not "all." Overwhelming majority? Yep.

Let's say Jimmy Kimmel did this is in South Africa using Nelson Mandela as the protagonist.

I guarantee you....he couldn't have found 2 people who were as stupid as this group was.

I can guarantee you something else too; if Jimmy Kimmel asked celebrity questions of this group, they would've gotten them ALL right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
why in the world do you think that?

And why would you be so offended, when no one was talking to you and directing this at you?

No one assigned this idiocy and ignorance to all Americans....but a lot of Americans are in fact misinformed and do not know to much....and I'm not at all talking about you, don't even know you, but if you watch this video...this is not the end of it, there are many more people who are pathetically uninformed and yet they vote? Why?
Americans by and large are SHOCKINGLY ignorant of the world around them. Unfortunately, Americans are highly provincial and worse, too many Americans live in a province inside of a province.

It's sad, but that's the truth of the matter.
Quote:
Because that's what DD said.

And I'm offended because I'm an American and I'm not an idiot and many Americans are not this stupid.
Yeah, but most are.

If you're not, then your ears shouldn't be itching and burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not "all." Overwhelming majority? Yep.

Let's say Jimmy Kimmel did this is in South Africa using Nelson Mandela as the protagonist.

I guarantee you....he couldn't have found 2 people who were as stupid as this group was.

I can guarantee you something else too; if Jimmy Kimmel asked celebrity questions of this group, they would've gotten them ALL right.

Americans by and large are SHOCKINGLY ignorant of the world around them. Unfortunately, Americans are highly provincial and worse, too many Americans live in a province inside of a province.

It's sad, but that's the truth of the matter.

Yeah, but most are.

If you're not, then your ears shouldn't be itching and burning.
People may not like what you are saying but it's the truth.

If you happen to live in a isolated enough circle of educated people then bully for you....but outside of that circle is a whole bunch of stupid where if it ain't celebrities or sports....it's not on the radar.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

If you happen to live in a isolated enough circle of educated people then bully for you....but outside of that circle is a whole bunch of stupid where if it ain't celebrities or sports....it's not on the radar.
after watching this, well, quit frankly, didn't find it funny at all, and I've always said Americans are naive/stupid, but OMG ....yanno, it's no wonder Obama can get up and make the SOTU address and people clap for him....no one gets that his term is almost over and he can't do a darn thing...I personally think, our politicians want to keep us stupid.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:

Right.

Folks act as if I'm saying something offensive.

How many of these "man on the street" interviews do you have to see to realize that most Americans are pretty damn stupid?

This video isn't an anomaly...it's the frickin norm.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right.

Folks act as if I'm saying something offensive.

How many of these "man on the street" interviews do you have to see to realize that most Americans are pretty damn stupid?

This video isn't an anomaly...it's the frickin norm.
Did you ever think that many of those videos contain only the people who answered stupidly?

Its supposed to be that way so everyone else can laugh at the stupid people. How funny would it be if you got an intelligent answer?

I realize Jimmy Kimmel noted they only asked 14 people. 7 of them answered in the video. What did the other 7 say?

Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Did you ever think that many of those videos contain only the people who answered stupidly?

Its supposed to be that way so everyone else can laugh at the stupid people. How funny would it be if you got an intelligent answer?

I realize Jimmy Kimmel noted they only asked 14 people. 7 of them answered in the video. What did the other 7 say?
Yeah, and Kimmel noted that sometimes it takes hours and hours to find 4-5 idiots.

My guess is that because school was out it was easier to find some younger knuckleheads (oxymoron) and at least 2 or 3 were still highschool aged.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:

we laugh at things we should find repulsive and offensive....we Americans...and why are you taking such offense? So much so, that now you have to defend this....I've seen these before, and it is utterly pathetic how very little Americans know in this day and age....you mean to tell me, you've never seen this before?

No, what people were laughing at were the stupidity of these people, and of course your right in a way, but you think...it wasn't staged....

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and Kimmel noted that sometimes it takes hours and hours to find 4-5 idiots.

My guess is that because school was out it was easier to find some younger knuckleheads (oxymoron) and at least 2 or 3 were still highschool aged.
Yep. I know a lot of people of varying intelligence levels and not one of them would have fallen for this trick.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
If you don't realize that these man on the street things are edited to make it look like everyone they talk to is an ignoramus, then you are the ignoramus.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
we laugh at things we should find repulsive and offensive....we Americans...and why are you taking such offense? So much so, that now you have to defend this....I've seen these before, and it is utterly pathetic how very little Americans know in this day and age....you mean to tell me, you've never seen this before?

No, what people were laughing at were the stupidity of these people, and of course your right in a way, but you think...it wasn't staged....
I'm not taking offense. I'm saying that there is a reason these types of skits (just like Leno's Jaywalking segment) only feature stupid people saying stupid things. They go out and get footage, splice it together and then it just looks like one person after another saying dumb things.

I am not defending anything. I'm saying don't be so quick to fall for the easy answer.

While these responses were not staged, did you notice they didn't show anyone intelligently answering the question? They were going for a certain skit and they got it through editing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies