Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's much easier to blame your lack of success by saying you weren't given it by your parents.

Sure, Jack Welch was born to a railroad conductor and a homemaker. Sure he worked after school and during summers. Sure he started as a junior engineer after graduating college and worked his way to CEO.

But isn't much nicer to think he was given that position by his father? After all, if he can make it to the top by hard work and achievement alone, it kind of reduces your excuses for not succeeding to the level you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
I wish I could. I have tried college...absolutely HATED IT. I can not sit through core classes etc waiting to get to the meat and potatoes classes and learn something.
Self-limiting choice. Every person with a Bachelor's degree took a bunch of nonsense classes they found boring, absurd, idiotic and useless. Honestly, Women's Studies (a required class at my school) didn't really have a lot of meaning to my Math degree. Nor did about 1/3 of the classes I was required to take. BUt like everyone else with a Ba/BS, I plowed through such obvious rent-seeking nonsense, put in my time/money, and now I have the secret decoder pin. Does it suck? Sure. It is largely pointless? Sure. But that's the game. Keep up or sit on the bench...your choice.
Quote:
I have a family of 4 soon to be 5 to support...right now we both work wife is gonna have to take at least 6 week leave soon on top of us moving to South Dakota where we have lived before and its a little cheaper than Georgia there are several factories etc so hoping to get on at one of those but will be living off our income tax refund until then.
5 kids without a lucrative skill set between you and your wife = "cart before the horse" thinking and choices, and lots of them. Your story is indicative of those who want the big minimum wage though. You made a ton of what I would consider bad, or at least poorly timed, choice and now because those choices have created economic difficulty for you, it's society's job to lessen the severity of the consequences of your choices and actions.
Quote:
My skill I spent 4k on was truck driving and well its probably my fault for having tickets hell I know it is. I got a lead foot and I have NEVER actually used my CDL in a job...sucks because I love the work.
Yes, your moving violation history is entirely your fault. Every time you get a ticket, you chose your need to break the law over your family's need to have someone provide an income. Keep that in mind every time you drive your car. I don't have kids, and my wife and I make a very good living as two people of our education and work experience should, and neither of us speed for the simple fact that we don't feel like increasing our cost basis (ticket cost + insurance increase) for something as juvenile as speeding. If my driving record was a key component to my occupation and ability to pay bills? Yeah, look for me to be the safest driver in history, just because my family cannot afford me NOT TO BE.

Once again, your story represents a ton of the folks wanting society to fix problems you created via your own self-absorption. If you put your wife & kids and their well being at the forefront of your every thought, action and choice...you'd make better choices. You don't, or at least haven't to this point, so now you want the business owner and government to give you an increase on your allowance, while swearing that this time you'll be a good boy.
Quote:
..Wife wants to pursue her LPN and I encourage her to do so. She has found something she loves to do.
Good for her, seriously. That said, I am married to a BSN (soon to be MSN) nurse, and if your wife wants to be a career nurse, she better get her BSN because that's the direction the game is headed. My wife has been a nurse for 29 years, and the trend right now is at "RN required, BSN preferred" and is moving towards "BSN required, MSN preferred" as government intervention puts more pressure on nurses to do more things, while hospital systems are trying to squeeze every ounce of skill and knowledge they can out of every employee. Just a word of friendly advice...take it for what you will.
Quote:
..unfortunately I haven't I don't LOVE truck driving because I am away from home a lot....but it was enjoyable and paid decently so dunno what I am going to do....I am 30 years old and I guess just want to raise my kids and push them to go to college or military or trade school and not follow in my foot steps but at the same time push for economic change. At times I do have interests in trade school or online school or something I just lose interest fast.
Find an apprentice program in the skilled trades. They're out there. 4 years of apprentice work and you're guaranteed journeyman at the end of that, and a good attitude/work ethic + another 6-8 years and you're a master in some skilled trade, and that's a damn fine living for most folks. Can't help you with your whole "I get bored fast, don't know what to do" thing because one and only one thought drives me on a daily basis - provide for my family. I like what I do, but if this went away tomorrow, I'd do a job I despise for as many hours per week for as many weeks as I had to in order to provide for my family. My liking my job is a bonus, not a requirement. I've had some seriously craptastic jobs in my life, but getting paid comes first, and after that I'll find a way to do it pleasantly. The bottom line is figuring out the priorities and making every day about knocking those priorities out according to their importance. No matter what the minimum wage, that last part is something nobody can help you with.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Only 4.3% of the labor force works at or below min wage. Of that 4.3% more than half are 16-24.
That leaves 2.15% of the labor force over 24 and not all of them have families.
At the most that would be 6 million. And yet we seem to have national outrage (backed by the unions).

Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only 4.3% of the labor force works at or below min wage. Of that 4.3% more than half are 16-24.
That leaves 2.15% of the labor force over 24 and not all of them have families.
At the most that would be 6 million. And yet we seem to have national outrage (backed by the unions).
I don't doubt that at all, but do you have a link so that I may use it in the future.

Generally speaking, I like to leave a source reference when I put out such information, and I'm dying to start quoting that one.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I don't doubt that at all, but do you have a link so that I may use it in the future.

Generally speaking, I like to leave a source reference when I put out such information, and I'm dying to start quoting that one.
The BLS itself.

This is their most current report on the characteristics of the minimum wage worker.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2013.pdf

Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
nobody is raising a family on min wage, all of them are raising their family on government benefits, food stamps, and welfare checks and that includes the illegals.

They make min wage and get government benefits, including housing.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
OH bull$hit!

I guarantee that of the Fortune 500 CEOs, very few are in their positions because of their father.

While I won't argue that they all have some connections, those connections are school and business associates, not dad and grandpa.
And how did they get into those schools, plenty of them because of who their daddy is. This isn't some outlandish idea, many parents help their children get going in life and the more rich and powerful you are, the bigger opportunities your children now have because of you.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And how did they get into those schools, plenty of them because of who their daddy is. This isn't some outlandish idea, many parents help their children get going in life and the more rich and powerful you are, the bigger opportunities your children now have because of you.
Or their mother or their in laws. Nepotism runs deep both in academia, the corporate world and the government. But that is nothing new.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
It's much easier to blame your lack of success by saying you weren't given it by your parents.

Sure, Jack Welch was born to a railroad conductor and a homemaker. Sure he worked after school and during summers. Sure he started as a junior engineer after graduating college and worked his way to CEO.

But isn't much nicer to think he was given that position by his father? After all, if he can make it to the top by hard work and achievement alone, it kind of reduces your excuses for not succeeding to the level you want.
And you can find many stories just like Welch, that doesn't mean every story is like Welsh.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
You're not supposed to.

Your livelihood is your responsibility, not your employers.

I've changed careers 3 times in my life, 7 if you consider taking management positions.

You're supposed to increase your value to an employer, not simply demand a higher compensation because you've hung around at the same place for a long time. Take chances, get out of your comfort zone. If it doesn't pan out, A) you're no worse than you were before, B) you'll succeed or C) keep trying.

My experience with people has been that they mostly hold themselves back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies