Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times

Advertisements

If the 1% is hated:

It is not simply because they have wealth -

It is due to

01: How they made it
02: The ways in which they are able to protect it.
03: The playing field that does not subject them to those that would compete for it.
04: Tax strategies only available to the 1%

Now, I don't have time to 'hate' the 1%, although I don't have that kind of money. I'm way too busy living (and appreciating) the life I have and creating experiences and memories that the 1% couldn't buy wit their money.

As for the '99%'. . . They really need to grow up.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 PM

325 posts, read 255,738 times
Redshadowz, you speak truth, and I call myself a patriot because I am all for America continuing that domination. Our model has flaws but it's still the best in the history of the world. It just needs to be restored to what our founding fathers intended it to be.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Russia had a problem back in the day. Their big collective farms didn't work. It was the small peasant farmers that fed them.

But the government has shot itself in the foot. It allowed a lot of outsourcing. That made other countries rich and ours poor. Chasing corporate profits isn't the end all be all of things economic.

The collective farms of Russia weren't designed for profit maximization. Nor were they designed for production to export markets. Nor were the Soviet collective farms the cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was the failure of the Soviet Union to produce a diverse number of exportable goods which is what finally doomed it. It relied almost entirely on oil.

After oil prices and oil production began to collapse in the 1980's. The Soviet Union went belly-up in only a matter of years. As Ronald Reagan's son said recently,

"I suggest that President Obama might want to study how Ronald Reagan defeated the Soviet Union. He did it without firing a shot, as we know, but he had a super weapon -- oil. Oil was the only thing the Soviets had in the 1980s that anyone in the rest of the world wanted to buy, besides ICBMs and H-bombs, and they weren't for sale. Since selling oil was the source of the Kremlin's wealth, my father got the Saudis to flood the market with cheap oil. Lower oil prices devalued the ruble, causing the USSR to go bankrupt, which led to perestroika and Mikhail Gorbachev and the collapse of the Soviet Empire."

Cheap oil will win new Cold War with Putin - just ask Reagan - Telegraph

Our international economy is really only based around one thing, access to cheap energy. If the "oil spigot" was shut off for even a week, the entire world economy would collapse. The goal of governments is to guarantee themselves access to energy(and other natural resources) at favorable prices.

Governments tend to protect and support corporations because corporations are really the entities which facilitate international trade, guarantee access to cheap foreign resources, and create exports. It is very difficult to imagine American domination of the world economy without its multinational corporations, and their direct control of foreign assets.

Basically, if America wants to control the world, it needs its corporations and financial institutions to be as profitable as possible. Even if that means huge gaps between rich and poor, special-privileges for corporations/financial institutions, as well as perpetual intervention in foreign countries to maintain access to foreign resources and markets. Regardless of if that means supporting oppressive regimes around the world, or fomenting Civil unrest.

Of course, I wish America didn't want to control the world. I wish no one would try to control the world. I wish the countries of the world weren't all competing for access to natural resources. I wish the countries of the world weren't competing at all. Nationalism is stupidity. It is for the pathetic, the ignorant, and the insecure.

And most of all, I wish the materialism of modern society would die a very sudden and dramatic death.

Without materialism and nationalism's tendency towards competition for resources; There would be no need to fight for resources at all. There would be no need to support oppressive regimes. Either directly through aid, or indirectly through "imbalanced trade"(as in the case of China).

This materialism and international competition is destructive, and hurts those who are most vulnerable. Not only in other countries, but here in America as well. Yet most people don't seem to notice. And even the vast majority of liberals seem to be oblivious to it.

They just continue to jabber on and on about economic growth or "progress", without ever really asking the question, "What really matters in life?".

Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of "The end justifies the means". Doing so makes you an evil scumbag.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-03-2015 at 03:25 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
If the 1% is hated:

It is not simply because they have wealth -

It is due to

01: How they made it
02: The ways in which they are able to protect it.
03: The playing field that does not subject them to those that would compete for it.
04: Tax strategies only available to the 1%

Now, I don't have time to 'hate' the 1%, although I don't have that kind of money. I'm way too busy living (and appreciating) the life I have and creating experiences and memories that the 1% couldn't buy wit their money.

As for the '99%'. . . They really need to grow up.

I personally just wish to be left alone. But since all governments presuppose some sort of right to everything and everyone within their claimed territory, I can probably safely assume that I won't be left alone. And I can also probably assume that the people who will most stand in the way of me being left alone, are the wealthy. Because the wealthy stand to lose the most as a result of any major change in a political system.

As for the rich themselves. I wouldn't say that I hate the rich, but I will say that it is unlikely that any wealthy man would ever be my friend. The people that I know who have money are usually four things. A) Materialistic, B) Arrogant, C) Greedy, D) Constantly in need of attention or otherwise shallow or showy.

The rich and powerful tend to have personality types which are of the lowest order of humanity. These people are scumbag sociopaths, with no sense of morality. Yet they believe they have the right to rule over everyone else, usually believing that they are superior to others.

The rich really are different

Rich People More Likely to Lie, Cheat, Study Suggests | Socioeconomic Status & Unethical Behaviors | Warren Buffett & Bill Gates

There are obviously certain exceptions. But its hard to imagine very many "good Christians" with $80 billion in the bank.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
Redshadowz, you speak truth, and I call myself a patriot because I am all for America continuing that domination. Our model has flaws but it's still the best in the history of the world. It just needs to be restored to what our founding fathers intended it to be.
Better follow the money-- who owns the ports? the newspapers? home depot? apple pie? the war heads pins, technology? oil- and the land we stand on? little by little we are selling our country- for a buck- the fact they increased the campaign donations should have told you something - corps like people?? we dont even OWN those corps---

Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The people that I know who have money are usually four things. A) Materialistic, B) Arrogant, C) Greedy, D) Constantly in need of attention or otherwise shallow or showy.
You seem to have odd acquaintances.

The Millionaire Next Door - NY Times

Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default The Middle Class wants the Next step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Just my opinion, but they're not middle-class. Class warfare is nothing new.
Yep, and the Middle Class wants to be upper middle class too. We know what it like to hold your own without life long welfare checks!

Let's look at the list.
Hud
Medicare
Food stamps
Wick

Just to name a few, that the so called poor draws from. The answer is jobs , not a hand out.!!!
Many have all ready has been busted for fraud and worst the so called working poor consider those benefits as part of the there income. They have no intent to go fro more hours, have a second job and or go for the better job.

Indeed with all of the hand outs the poor has become more dependent and to add insult to injury make as much as some Middle class Fams!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:30 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
So what if the top 1% are in charge?

Would be better better off if the bottom 25% were in charge?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So what if the top 1% are in charge?

Would be better better off if the bottom 25% were in charge?
Why are those the only choices you can see?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Why are those the only choices you can see?
Good point.

The question I'm really getting at is why do we assume that the 1% is not going to do a good job of running things?

Somebody has got to be in in charge, and the 1% are generally smart, hardworking people. They didn't get to the top by being idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies