Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

128 Trillion in unfunded liabilities! Yes, 128 TRILLION, with a T.

Does the United States have $128 trillion in unfunded liabilities? - The Washington Post

“We have $128 trillion worth of unfunded liabilities and the total net worth of our country is $94 trillion and we have another $17 trillion worth of debt.”

$126 trillion in unfunded liabilities for three programs — Social Security, Medicare and the Medicare prescription drug program. The biggest share of the total — more than $87 trillion — belongs to the Medicare program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Does the United States have $128 trillion in unfunded liabilities? - The Washington Post

“We have $128 trillion worth of unfunded liabilities and the total net worth of our country is $94 trillion and we have another $17 trillion worth of debt.”

$126 trillion in unfunded liabilities for three programs — Social Security, Medicare and the Medicare prescription drug program. The biggest share of the total — more than $87 trillion — belongs to the Medicare program.

So what do you propose we do with seniors who need healthcare. We are living longer and we have doctors taking advantage

Old 01-25-2015, 12:38 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
I owe nothing. My daughter owes nothing.

Politicians owe it all since they spent it.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:21 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:

Well, this is unusual...A self-refuting post.

The supporting link provided by BentBow is to an article on the Washington Post website. This cited article gives the "$128 TRILLION" claim three Pinocchio's.

In other words, BentBow pretty much just called an expert witness to the stand, and his own expert definitively refuted the OP's claim.

Really, Bent, you simply must learn to read your own citations.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

The supporting link provided by BentBow is to an article on the Washington Post website. This cited article gives the "$128 TRILLION" claim three Pinocchio's.

In other words, BentBow pretty much just called an expert witness to the stand, and his own expert definitively refuted the OP's claim.

will this one work better for you?

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

Old 01-25-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
will this one work better for you?

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Didn't bother to read the originally cited article, did you?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:

Oh gee I guess we should stop everyone's medical treatments right away!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Is there bad blood between us? You made it personal, for what? Is this a Kill the messenger deal?

If you have not noticed, it was a cut & paste for discussion. You went after me, like it is something I dreamed up.

I believe by the article, you figured out how much you really owe.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Is there bad blood between us? You made it personal, for what? Is this a Kill the messenger deal?

If you have not noticed, it was a cut & paste for discussion. You went after me, like it is something I dreamed up.
No, it's not a personal attack, and wasn't meant to be one. However, it was an admonishment to please take the time and actually read links that you provide as supporting evidence.

I don't demand that we agree with each other, but I do hope that you will provide your own insights and not simply spam other people's thoughts.

Quote:
I believe by the article, you figured out how much you really owe.
The first problem with the $128 Trillion dollar figure is that it is derived from incredibly fuzzy logic. The linked article from the Washington Post points this out, referring to the methodology behind the computation as an "unfunded obligation through the infinite horizon". Simply put, the figure is reached by stretching the time span out to an unreasonable length of time, 75 years from now. There's not a person alive who knows what's going to happen ten years from now, let alone 75 years from now.

The second problem with the $128 trillion dollar figure is that it's provided without proper context. Let me ask you: factoring in inflation, what will the total federal government revenue be over that 75 year span, how will it compare to the $128 trillion dollar figure, and how do you know that your estimated revenue figure is accurate?

As to how much "I" really owe - seeing as I'll probably be dead well before the 75 years are up, a lot less than you would have me believe.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

So what do you propose we do with seniors who need healthcare. We are living longer and we have doctors taking advantage
Let them die. Life management services may be required. Also rudely described as death panels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies