Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:30 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Bribery at any level is NOT a reward.

Maybe that should be taught to our kids......some adults didn't learn it for sure.

But money will buy anything.
Yeah, I hear 'ya. I gotta go to work tomorrow but I'm not accepting a salary because I don't take bribes.

I work for free due to my "innate drive for high achievement".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Paying Kids for Good Grades - WSJ

-Paying kids to get good grades is especially helpful for poor communities where terrible grades and lack of money go hand in hand

-Instead of wasteful spending that gets funneled to teacher's unions the middle-man is cut out and the cash goes directly to the children

-With increasing good grade income there would be less dependency on school breakfast and school lunch programs

-Large inner-city families could benefit greatly if several children in the household are making good money bringing in good grades since a dependency on WIC and other programs would be decreased
The taxpayers make an amazing sacrifice and offer an amazing opportunity with taxpayer funded education available to all, at no cost to the parents and students. That opportunity gives those willing to take it the chance to make something of themselves.

Paying students? If the parents want to, that's fine I suppose, if that's the only way they can motivate their kids. Poor parenting, but their call. Beyond that? Not just NO, but HELL NO. The kids should appreciate the opportunity the taxpayer has offered them, not need to be bribed to take advantage of it.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The taxpayers make an amazing sacrifice and offer an amazing opportunity with taxpayer funded education available to all, at no cost to the parents and students. That opportunity gives those willing to take it the chance to make something of themselves.

Paying students? If the parents want to, that's fine I suppose, if that's the only way they can motivate their kids. Poor parenting, but their call. Beyond that? Not just NO, but HELL NO. The kids should appreciate the opportunity the taxpayer has offered them, not need to be bribed to take advantage of it.
And, uh, how has that worked out so far?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Frank, how about you keep your money and as you get older your life is made into a daily hellscape due to the fact that the younger adults who you depend on are very poorly educated?

Sound like a plan? You get to save a few bucks now to live in a world of Idiocracy later!
We have massive degrees of Idiocracy right now. The very thread is proof of that. But it has nothing to do with not bribing kids to take advantage of the multitude of ones offered to them. It has to do with pizz poor parenting and, in certain areas, a warped culture.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
You are free to set up some sort of "payment" program at any school of your choice with your own money.

Go for it.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Just fine in the vast majority of the country. The vast majority of children get up every morning, go to school and study. Many actually work hard enough to get decent grades and go on to college, which they or their parents actually, you know, pay for.

I'd suggest a different approach. The opportunity of taxpayer funded education is a privilege, one that should be appreciated. But like most things handed out with no effort involved, it's not appreciated. We should be charging tuition, at a minimal level, for schools. Not a lot, say $10 a month per student. The parent that actually has to pay for their kid to go to school might be a bit motivated to see that their kid shows up and actually does something.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:54 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
the problem is that school is NOT free now, but too many people think that because it is GOVERNMENT funded, it actually IS free.
They forget that THEIR TAXES are paying for it!
When people get it through their heads that TANSTAAFL is an immutable law of the universe, maybe they will begin to be aware of the true cost of all the FREE stuff they think they are getting.
That is, assuming that "the people" EVER get it through their heads that There Ain't No Such Thing As A FREE Lunch.
Even people who rent their living space don't get a FREE education. The landlord uses THEIR RENT to pay the property taxes on the building, which pays, in part, for schools.
Again, wake up, people! Education is NOT FREE!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What sort of logic is at work to claim if we dont bribe economicaly disadvantaged state raised children to perform better we will descend into an idiocracy? I would posit that the belief in that very theory proves we might already be at its door step.

Anyway, since private and home schooled children on average outperform those that attend government schools, your theory is proved null and void.
The best thing that could happen is for government to be out of the education business all together.

Capitalism is about providing an incentive and rewarding hard work, isn't it?

I paid my kids $100 whenever they brought home straight As both in grade school and high school. They worked hard to get straight As, which was most of the time. They both graduated with honors and went on to a very good university, one in engineering and the other in pre-med. Best part: I never had to ask or nag them about doing their homework. They handled that themselves. Best investment I ever made!

The key point here is providing an incentive and reward to help those who are willing to better themselves and become productive members of our society. Better than providing costly punishment (incarceration) and entitlements (welfare), wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You are free to set up some sort of "payment" program at any school of your choice with your own money.

Go for it.
But unless you don't pay taxes, you are already paying into a "payment" program right now. The only difference is that a large part of it benefits teacher's unions and not the actual point of schools...the kids.

Why would you be so hostile towards an idea that doesn't cost you any more money?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Capitalism is about providing an incentive and rewarding hard work, isn't it?

I paid my kids $100 whenever they brought home straight As both in grade school and high school. They worked hard to get straight As, which was most of the time. They both graduated with honors and went on to a very good university, one in engineering and the other in pre-med. Best part: I never had to ask or nag them about doing their homework. They handled that themselves. Best investment I ever made!

The key point here is providing an incentive and reward to help those who are willing to better themselves and become productive members of our society. Better than providing costly punishment (incarceration) and entitlements (welfare), wouldn't you agree?
Finally!! Someone who gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies