Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

I don't know where some of you ever got the idea that an abortion-surviving baby is killed?? I didn't read any post here that suggested that, but you jumped to that assumption.
Babies who are born alive after an abortion procedure are often refused medical care and left to die a slow and painful death. I don't suppose pro-abortion supporters consider THAT murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually, you need to apologize. I know what a late term abortion is. A late term abortion is not a baby born that survived an abortion. Let me repeat. An abortion is an abortion, regardless at what stage it happened. A baby that is born is not an abortion. Seriously I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of nursery schoolers. How that cannot be comprehended is beyond me.
Comprehension problem? What part of the word "abortion" do you not understand? It means "to end a pregnancy." When a pregnancy ends, the product of that pregnancy is either dead or, in some cases, alive. One percent of all abortions are late-term abortions. Some babies are born alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I don't care if she forgives or not, I'm sure she is full of **** and making the story up .
When we refuse to open our minds in order to have a healthy debate, the effort is fruitless for both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Nope. In fact most scientists believe that fetuses can not feel anything until about 20 weeks or later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/he...anted=all&_r=0

The brain is not fully formed or connected to the nervous system until around week 20.
Brain Development in the Fetus

Why do you feel the need to lie to support your position?
Hmmm. Then maybe in some cases pain might be felt at 19 weeks? and 20 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
babies do not survive late term abortions. they are aborted.
See above for the definition of 'abortion'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
All rabid pro-abortion sites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I've heard nurses relate that they weren't allowed to give aid to a born-alive aborted baby. But, you'll say it's all made up. OK. Then maybe you'll believe Obama who admits there is such a thing as late-term abortion survival.

Quote:
You are the one whining about fetuses feeling pain, not me. If you want to bring pain into the argument, you don't get to cherry pick.

I have no problem with abortions or birth.....as long as it is what the woman chose of her own free will.
A pro-abortionist accusing a pro-lifer of cherry picking links and support for the pro-life position. Don't pro-abortionists do the same? A situation that is possible only because there are points on both sides of the debate that ought to be talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You keep quoting pro-life websites, which have no credibility for anyone except pro-lifers. Your arguments are akin to defining a word in terms of itself, i.e., useless.
And pro-abortion websites have no credibility except pro-abortionists. It's a stalemate, then?
You don't believe it should be debated and discussed?

Why is there such animosity about it? The only reason I can think of is that the subject may be very personal to some of you.

Last edited by swbtoo; 02-04-2015 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
I have such mixed feelings on abortion...on one hand it's obviously murder, and there is no mental gymnastics one can do to avoid that.

On the other hand, people that would murder their own child are going to make for horrific parents anyway, and the state is overburdened as it is in regards to welfare and such. I am also aware there isn't nearly enough would-be adoptive parents out there.

Tough one.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Hmmm. Then maybe in some cases pain might be felt at 19 weeks? and 20 weeks?
Highly doubtful according to the doctors that were discussing the issue in my link. Most think 24 weeks or later. Either way abortions post 20 weeks are done mostly in the case of maternal health or fetal abnormality. Should women be forced to carry a fetus if it may kill her just because you think the fetus may feel pain? Before womens rights to their own bodies are taken away you better have more than may, or possible, or perhaps.
I have actual quotes from doctors in the associated fields of study. The quotes aren't from a pro life or pro choice group either.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Default Help for expectant mothers-to-be

There is a lot of help available for women who want to keep their babies and need emotional and financial help to do so. This is one site. There are many others, some associated with churches.

Lifecall - Pregnant and need help? We can help you.

Over 200 pregnant women call the National Hotline every month seeking assistance.

Several Sources Shelter provides extensive counseling and information for pregnant women seeking information on the resources available to them, including providing free shelter for expectant mother and their children.

One I personally know of and recommend is Family Life Services :: Maternity. I know of three children adopted through them, thanks to the mothers who decided to carry their babies to term and give them up for adoption.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:

When we refuse to open our minds in order to have a healthy debate, the effort is fruitless for both sides.

There can be no healthy debate on this subject because there is no middle ground with the anti abortion crowd. It's end abortions or nothing else.

Quote:
And pro-abortion websites have no credibility except pro-abortionists. It's a stalemate, then?
You don't believe it should be debated and discussed?

Why is there such animosity about it? The only reason I can think of is that the subject may be very personal to some of you.
Pro abortion sites don't cherry pick quotes out of context to bolster their points. You get the same reality with Creationists arguing against evolution. We have animosity on the subject because we are tried of anti abortion activists trying to force people to conform to their archaic belief set. If you don't want an abortion, don't have one, it's as simple as that.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:

It is. I like having rights under the Constitution. I like living in a country where the Constitution gives me the right to privacy and choice. I like living in a country where neither a church nor a group of atheists nor a single person decides what my rights are. I like being responsible for my own moral and ethical choices. I like being responsible for my own body.

And I really, really, really like living in a country where each of us as citizens has the right, given to us by our Constitution, to make our own choices.

Iran is that-a-way --------------------------->> for those who don't.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of help available for women who want to keep their babies and need emotional and financial help to do so. This is one site. There are many others, some associated with churches.

Lifecall - Pregnant and need help? We can help you.

Over 200 pregnant women call the National Hotline every month seeking assistance.

Several Sources Shelter provides extensive counseling and information for pregnant women seeking information on the resources available to them, including providing free shelter for expectant mother and their children.

One I personally know of and recommend is Family Life Services :: Maternity. I know of three children adopted through them, thanks to the mothers who decided to carry their babies to term and give them up for adoption.
Most women are aware there is help out there. The desire to carry out an abortion has little to do with that.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Most women are aware there is help out there. The desire to carry out an abortion has little to do with that.
In reading many sites, some of them medical reports and journal white papers, I came across comments from medical professionals who said that there are cases where women are in denial over their pregnancy and don't get to a doctor for an abortion until very late in the pregnancy.

Maybe some of these women are at a loss about what to do, how to go about it, where to find support, indecision about terminating the pregnancy. We know what PP will tell them. They should have a choice, don't you think?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Jesus who?
Well now you have just proven you are completely out of it so why are you debating anything when you are so uninformed?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
In reading many sites, some of them medical reports and journal white papers, I came across comments from medical professionals who said that there are cases where women are in denial over their pregnancy and don't get to a doctor for an abortion until very late in the pregnancy.

Maybe some of these women are at a loss about what to do, how to go about it, where to find support, indecision about terminating the pregnancy. We know what PP will tell them. They should have a choice, don't you think?
Or they are mentally ill and have no concept how to handle it. Which is likely the more realistic option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies