Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,452,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I think you work a global solution to eliminate manufacturing of guns except under controlled conditions. We do it with nuclear materials; we can do it with guns.
Do you plan to do this by restricting access to CNC machines?

Are you familiar with the 1911 pistol?

Here's a picture of a 1911 type pistol:

Do you know why they call it a 1911? They call it that, because that is when it went into production.

Yes, they were able to machine a gun like this over 100 years ago.

Any decent machinist can produce these guns.

The idea is beyond absurd, it's downright laughable and makes anyone who suggests that we can effectively ban production look like a clown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,452,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
the only thing that matters is what you are comfortable with doing personally. I personally wouldn't carry any other way, as that is how I am comfortable. There is no right or wrong answer, just what works for you.
No argument with that.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM

794 posts, read 811,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
about the bolded. It is like telling a Christian, you are not true Christian. It is all right. No matter what you think I am, I am no politician.

According to the Libertarian platform,

1.7 Self-Defense

The only legitimate use of force is in defense of individual rights — life, liberty, and justly acquired property — against aggression. This right inheres in the individual, who may agree to be aided by any other individual or group. We affirm the individual right recognized by the Second Amendment to keep and bear arms, and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defense. Private property owners should be free to establish their own conditions regarding the presence of personal defense weapons on their own property. We oppose all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition.

I agree with the bolded.
You're a mess, you're all over the map. How can you on one hand say firearms are a privilege and not a right, then quote this:

Quote:
We oppose all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition
...and say this is what you believe?

Also, I happen to know a small bit about being a Libertarian, and based on your beliefs as you have posted I can safely say you aren't one.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,347,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What I find disgusting is your inclusion of the virgin comment in a post about gun control. It served no relevant purpose whatsoever. Don't expect your opinions on an important issue to be taken seriously when you feel the need to include irrelevant juvenile insults.

Nobody pretends that everyone should be owning a gun. But the 2nd amendment exists. We need to err on the side of individual rights and freedom. That's why we have a presumption of innocence until guilt is proven. Given that we have a right to own a firearm, the burden of proof needs to be on the government that someone shouldn't own a firearm, not on the individual to prove he's worthy of owning one. The presumption needs to be that anybody who wants a gun can have a gun unless there is a compelling reason for that person not to have one.
well, I already admitted that my first post was a bit annoying and judgmental, didn't I?

The whole point I am trying to make is that everybody should practice common sense when it comes to gun right. My friend should reevaluate the reasons of owning all these guns because he doesn't even know how to shoot!

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,028,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you plan to do this by restricting access to CNC machines?

Are you familiar with the 1911 pistol?

Here's a picture of a 1911 type pistol:

Do you know why they call it a 1911? They call it that, because that is when it went into production.

Yes, they were able to machine a gun like this over 100 years ago.

Any decent machinist can produce these guns.

The idea is beyond absurd, it's downright laughable and makes anyone who suggests that we can effectively ban production look like a clown.
The basic technology of a firearm is extremely simple. Little more than a metal tube with a few parts and some springs. To equate the manufacture of firearms to nuclear weapons is idiotic.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:40 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,347,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
You're a mess, you're all over the map. How can you on one hand say firearms are a privilege and not a right, then quote this:

...and say this is what you believe?

Also, I happen to know a small bit about being a Libertarian, and based on your beliefs as you have posted I can safely say you aren't one.
well, I said my gun right is my privilege, Adam Lanza's mother took her right for granted.

what exactly is wrong with that ?

The 2nd Amendment is very clear. It says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." But, it is also limited. It only limits the government relative to the People. There is no mention of citizens. People, who are not subject to the jurisdiction (law) of the United States, retain all rights, including the right to bear arms. Citizens, who have no rights, but only exist by privilege, are presently allowed to own arms subject to revocable privileges granted by Congress.

Matter of fact, I don't know any responsible gun owners who don't believe their gun rights is a privilege. I am a mess ? lol

Old 01-26-2015, 03:44 PM

6,898 posts, read 4,728,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
Defensive Gun Use

Old 01-26-2015, 03:47 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I suppose thats true if you are comfortable leaving your firearm where children or others can have access to it.
Apparently a fair number of people are.

In my opinion we can do a whole lot more in the way of educating and reminding people about safe firearm storage and handling.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM

6,898 posts, read 4,728,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
More cars, more accidents, more deaths.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,949,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Boy, you REALLY have no clue what you're talking about.
Militia Act of 1903
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies