Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
We need politicians to tell us when to stay home and when to leave? What is the barrier to them telling you to stay home for any reason they can come up with? We already block off major parts of cities because of visiting politicians. How about this... Make the politicians stay home and let everyone else go about their business. I don't need some politician telling me to stay home because it snows, I can watch the same weather station they do.
They already have that power under emergency circumstances. Part of it also had to do with them being able to provide the services your tax dollars fund. As for the what would stop them from making you stay home under any reason they come up with, the Constitution maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
IMHO - It is far better to err on the side of safety when dealing with the weather. If the society does not prepare for a major storm people can get killed. If it prepares and the storm is not as sever only some money is lost. People can create more money but not replace unnecessary dead. the authorities in New Your did the correct thing.

Weather prediction is not an exact procedure. I remember shoveling three feet of "flurries" off the drive way when I lived in Upstate NY in the 50's. The predictions have become more accurate and the TV presentations more interesting.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
I see nothing wrong with the preparedness that occurred. Now the idiotic reporting from CNN is another story. It was like a comedy sketch last night watching Don Lemon and his idiot cast of clowns desperately trying to dramatize anything related to the storm.

Look at me Don I'm standing in ankle deep snow. Oh the horror.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I feel for the GW cultists who can't run around screaming that "the climate is changing!" today.

I kind of miss their goofy threads today!
If you need something to feed your fear of liberal conspiracies, it's been freaky warm in Calgary lately. I can't believe it got to the teens in January. Better?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
when Our Leaders Panic and Get Hysterical....

....that is a sign that we have chosen poor leaders.

We need people who do not overreact, but are calm and methodical under pressure. If there is a real emergency, then of course that has to be dealt with, but without hyperbole or political manipulation, opportunism or grandstanding.

Clearly, De Blasio is in way over his head and is not up to the task.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Should we slap them or just ignore them? We had the doomcasters predicting a death storm of a blizzard and those rubes NYC Mayor Be blazio and NJ Governor Christie ordered everyone off the streets and shut down everything. They've since cancelled the panic and have thrown The Weather Channel under the bus. That was their first mistake, listening to The Weather Channel. They still predict dire warnings of global warming and we all know that's been pretty much debunked. Ebola, ISIS, North Korea, it even happens on a national level.
So when do we just ignore our leaders when they tell us to panic and politely tell them to calm down?
For the record I think many idiots drive around in snowstorms when they should stay home. But walking around downtown, how can they possibly stop you from leaving your house short of a zombie invasion or plague epidemic?
Yet, IF the weather predictions by the '"xperts" had come true and the Gov,'s did NOT try to get people to prepare for the event, you would probaly be the first one to whine about there NOT warning you.

My suggestion is for some to grow up.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They already have that power under emergency circumstances. Part of it also had to do with them being able to provide the services your tax dollars fund. As for the what would stop them from making you stay home under any reason they come up with, the Constitution maybe?
The Constitution? That only works AFTER something has been done, you can seek redress. The point was that people are being conditioned to accept any excuse or reason to accept travel bans. I grew up in the North East, we had ice storms but never once needed the government to tell us when to stay home and take precautions. We all made it through. We have become a society where unless a politician says you can do it, you can't.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Should we slap them or just ignore them? We had the doomcasters predicting a death storm of a blizzard and those rubes NYC Mayor Be blazio and NJ Governor Christie ordered everyone off the streets and shut down everything. They've since cancelled the panic and have thrown The Weather Channel under the bus. That was their first mistake, listening to The Weather Channel. They still predict dire warnings of global warming and we all know that's been pretty much debunked. Ebola, ISIS, North Korea, it even happens on a national level.
So when do we just ignore our leaders when they tell us to panic and politely tell them to calm down?
For the record I think many idiots drive around in snowstorms when they should stay home. But walking around downtown, how can they possibly stop you from leaving your house short of a zombie invasion or plague epidemic?

If they didn't prepare and the storm moved 30 miles or so further west, then what??

Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The Constitution? That only works AFTER something has been done, you can seek redress. The point was that people are being conditioned to accept any excuse or reason to accept travel bans. I grew up in the North East, we had ice storms but never once needed the government to tell us when to stay home and take precautions. We all made it through. We have become a society where unless a politician says you can do it, you can't.
I haven't seen this rash of travel bans people are accepting. Can you give me some examples of people not doing something until a politician says they can?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I haven't seen this rash of travel bans people are accepting. Can you give me some examples of people not doing something until a politician says they can?
Now who said there was rash of anything? You're characterization of what I said makes discussion pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies