Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American men becoming feminized?
Yes, men are. 181 44.80%
No, They are not. 70 17.33%
American women are becoming more masculine 53 13.12%
Men and women are just closer to equality 101 25.00%
This is a society trend or fad that will fade 35 8.66%
Other 17 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

I don't watch a lot of broadcast television so my knowledge of Howie Mandel comes from the days when he was a young comedian. I saw him in an ad yesterday and I thought --- TWO EARRINGS? You girlyman!

I do think men are becoming more feminine and fussy. I hate it . And it all went to hell when they started wearing an earring, smelling like a hooker, having their nails buffed and spraying their hair. I don't remember what period that was because I'm older than dirt, but they should mark it in the history books as the decline of civilization.

I remember being appalled that OJ Simpson wore wore girly shoes like I expected the heinous crime he did but was shocked about the expensive sissy shoes he wore. That goes for you too, George Clooney, serial womanizer, sissy shoe wearer.

Men, kill the tassels on the slip on shoes. A man bag is still a pocketbook. Getting your hair cut in a hair salon is bad enough but if the "stylist" reaches for the hairspray, you need to put your foot down. You can call it what you want but that stinky man stuff is still perfume. Shiny colorful itsy bitsy underwear is revolting as is an over obsession about how you look in the mirror. A bracelet is a bracelet even if you put it on a hairy wrist. Nail polish is nail polish even if it's clear and you're an aggressive stock trader with a firm handshake.

And since I'm on my soapbox, I would like to say something about the "heroes" Hollywood is foisting on us these days. Stop picking your leading men from prep school yearbooks! We're not buying the Jude Laws, Tobey McGuires, Orlando Blooms, Matt Damons, Ashton Kutchers, Matthew Brodericks, Topher Graces, Jake Gyllenhaals, Ewan McGregors, etc., in manly man leading roles. You can put Orlando Bloom on a horse or put Jude Law in an aircraft and they still look like guys who wore short pants to school a few years back . (This is not to say any of the aforementioned are bad actors, just miscast in manly leading man roles.) Hollywood, can you not find a leading man who looks like a blue-collar type instead of some rich kid wuss. I don't care if they are gay or straight in real life, it's not a sexual orientation issue but an image issue - just stop with the wussies as leading men.

And since this is a political forum, there are three male candidates (2 Dems, 1 Republican) who I think still tie their sweaters around their neck and I don't want them as Commander In Chief. So, there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
In response to Who?Me?!

I am by no means a man basher, so don't see it that way. They were all very good men, just was not ready at the time to settle down. But did make it a CHOICE. I was not going to have a passle of kids and leave them to daycare for some job. So I chose the profession. If I had it to do over again, I would do things differently.

Of course men want to be taken care of, so do women, but in different ways. It is called a normal human need and desire. So I don't want to be lumped into the man hater group, by disparaging normal behavior, and trying to turn it into something wrong and dirty. Yes, there are bad men out there, terrible human beings who need to be put away, but that is not the vast majority. Have never dated a bad man, because I was taught to be very careful, to be discriminate, not desperate. One guy did grab me once after something I said, a truth about himself. He was SO gone immediately out of my life. I think he was overall a good person, just angry at the moment, was young, didn't know how to react, etc.... But I was not going to take the chance. So had to say good bye to him.

It is a very natural need in humans to find a mate, nothing wrong with that. I strongly believe in marriage between one man and one woman, that is the backbone of a strong society. Noone should feel embarrassed to want that and pursue it as a major goal in life. But making right choices is key for all involved. And too many people don't think first what the ramifications of their actions will be on others, mainly children. Witness the vast ills in our society from the millions of neglected and unparented children. We are now reaping the consequences of self gratification, wanting it "all", and being narcissistic enough to go through with irresponsible behaviors.

Last edited by lilypad; 01-10-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
"""I don't watch a lot of broadcast television so my knowledge of Howie Mandel comes from the days when he was a young comedian. I saw him in an ad yesterday and I thought --- TWO EARRINGS? You girlyman!

I do think men are becoming more feminine and fussy. I hate it . And it all went to hell when they started wearing an earring, """

Reminds me of the time I found an old book on Indians of the southwest. I used the photos of some of the elder men wearing beautiful silver/turquoise/bead earrings to help my nephew convince his grandfather that his plain gold earring stud was not effeminate.
And these tough, wise old elders were hardly the first men to wear earrings...it's all relevant.

PS. Why do you consider a reference to a "girl" as an insult?
Why is "acting like a man" considerd a good thing but "acting like a woman " isn't?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,092 times
Women are the worst in terms of perpetuating misogyny.

I don't mind guys who care about how they look at all. Being a ungroomed, hairy guy who wears whatever he can find...ick.

Ewan McGregor can rock my world anyday of the week.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,152 times
[quote=LauraC;2473747]I don't watch a lot of broadcast television so my knowledge of Howie Mandel comes from the days when he was a young comedian. I saw him in an ad yesterday and I thought --- TWO EARRINGS? You girlyman!

I do think men are becoming more feminine and fussy. I hate And it all went to hell when they started wearing an earring, smelling like a hooker, having their nails buffed and spraying their hair. I don't remember what period that was because I'm older than dirt, but they should mark it in the history books as the decline of civilization.

..I agree with it all (and have to quit crying laughing) over your email, but I STILL THINK this started with the advent of "gay rights" and "celebration of gayness". Period. Men got femmy at that time, I remember it. I do not think this is rich/prep school stuff, I have known alot of preppies and they didn't used to be like that AS A GROUP. This is different. The men have turned, not "gracious" or "well mannered"...but GAY ACTING. Period.

Okay, I said it.

It's particularly prevalent in cities, I think, also.

There are many factors here....

Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

You do know that the well off men dressed MUCH more like this in the 1300s-1800. Men had earrings throughout much of western civilization, and I could care less about what gay acceptance has to do with it or not.

This is not feminine, at, ALL.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
I think that type of "femmy" male is now referred to as a "metrosexual". He has all the neat feminine traits we are told we want in a man! Only problem is, it turns my stomach!! Where is my John Wayne??!! I would even be happy with a Clint Eastwood character (he would need alot of work however). But at least he has the right hormone!!

Above pic: Don't mind a small stud in the ear, but NO tattoos. Risk of Hepatitis C.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

And since this is a political forum, there are three male candidates (2 Dems, 1 Republican) who I think still tie their sweaters around their neck and I don't want them as Commander In Chief. So, there!
Wow. That's a slap in the whatever. I'm cool with the rest of your post, but I can't tie my sweater around my neck? Jeez, I've been doing that since 196---well, for a long time! What am I supposed to do? Carry it in one hand? What if I need both hands to gently but firmly hold a woman while dancing?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,152 times
Default Metro, thanks for remind me of the term

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I think that type of "femmy" male is now referred to as a "metrosexual". He has all the neat feminine traits we are told we want in a man! Only problem is, it turns my stomach!! Where is my John Wayne??!! I would even be happy with a Clint Eastwood character (he would need alot of work however). But at least he has the right hormone!!

Above pic: Don't mind a small stud in the ear, but NO tattoos. Risk of Hepatitis C.
Agree. The urban areas are overloaded with metros and I don't feel any self respecting woman can tolerate them. They seem to scream "narcissist", and I think it's an unhealthy obsession for a man.

Is this implanted by the mother, do you think?

I also think this obsession with phony "fitness", appearance, wardrobe, grooming, etc.....is an advanced state of denial. Shouldn't they be working harder or getting on with something else?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM

I think the metrosexual thing is overblown. I mean a snazzy well dressed, groomed man is nothing new....James Dean, Jimmy Cagney, etc.

There is a difference between the above picture and this
EDIT: forget it, if the picture says metrosexual in the link the forum edits it out.

Read this, it's hardly a new thing. Dandy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although I could care less if a guy is really uber masculine or not. I'm not dating everyone, and the few gay guy friends I have are pretty masculine guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies