Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, no one cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia - The Washington Post

I have to admit I have always admired Michelle Obama. She is graceful, articulate, and beautiful. I don't agree with her nannyism, but no one is perfect.

But her latest performance in refusing to wear a head covering when visiting Saudi Arabia is praiseworthy. She had a chance to send a message, and she did not balk.
I'm with Michelle on this one. Send a message to the neanderthals: time to join the 21st century. Hell, even the 18th would be an improvement.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The obozo and moochelle have no respect or class that is warranted by the oval office and I for one will be so glad to see them go . I dislike them almost as much as my grandparents disliked the Johnsons . I have no respect for these people because they have no respect for the office of the president of the united states should have . They act like Ma and Pa kettle comes to the white house .

YMMV

Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm with Michelle on this one. Send a message to the neanderthals: time to join the 21st century. Hell, even the 18th would be an improvement.
That would put them on the level of modern-day conservatives. An improvement indeed.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
At the end of the day, no one cares.
Maybe, but because the news story came out and thus became news because that's what the media does, it brings up the grey area between politics and culture.

If the story was never told I wouldn't have cared. But putting aside any personal feelings towards the Obama's and the laws in Saudi Arabia, it's more of a general thought of any countries top political officer visiting another country.

I truly believe that each country should represent their countries values, and that it's the host country that should accept their visitors and diplomatically bypass their own laws to respect the values of their visitors. If the Saudi's were visiting here, I would expect Michelle not to extend her hand to the king as respect, which in fact I think the king showed respect by shaking Michelle's hand even though by law it's forbidden.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I haven't "always admired" her, so one might be more surprised to see me giving her the "thumbs up." Unless they're in a mosque, non-Muslims should chuck the head coverings (and her husband should quit bowing like a subservient ninny over there).

As they say, even the blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's not disrespectful - it wasn't disrespectful when Laura Bush traveled to Saudi Arabia and met the King, when Condoleeza Rice and Hillary Clinton did the same thing. Nancy Pelosi is the only one I regularly see in a head scarf when she travels to the Muslim Nations. I wonder why CNN even wrote this story? I follow Mid-East News regularly - read 2 or 3 Saudi based English language news media + Jordan, Lebanon, Kuwait, Egypt .... this was not news out there. What was "News" was the delegation that TeamObama put together quickly to travel to meet the new King and offer condolences on King Abdullah's passing. Odd what the US Media decides is "news".

TeamO is attempting to try and do a "Re-Set" with Saudi Arabia, and it's not going to be easy - they are VERY unhappy with him and his Administration. They brought in the Big Diplomatic Guns in hopes of making a new start - James Baker, Condoleezza Rice, Steven Hadley, Brent Snowcroft, John McCain -- all Republicans from former Administrations. A total of about 30 people all together, a mix of current Dems and High Level Diplomats from former administrations.

This was the Lead Story in Mid-East news - not what Michelle Obama had on her head. It was a good move by TeamObama, it surprised (and pleased) the Royals, it surprised me also. The situation out there is not good at all - when the Top Foreign Correspondent for NBC News goes on air and says - "They can't stand President Obama". You know it's bad. Good move by Obama to try and repair the situation, even if it takes some Republican Diplomats and former officials.

Very interesting post. I had not heard anything about

James Baker, Condoleezza Rice, Steven Hadley, Brent Snowcroft, John McCain -- all Republicans from former Administrations. A total of about 30 people all together, a mix of current Dems and High Level Diplomats from former administrations.

A link would be great.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia - The Washington Post

I have to admit I have always admired Michelle Obama. She is graceful, articulate, and beautiful. I don't agree with her nannyism, but no one is perfect.

But her latest performance in refusing to wear a head covering when visiting Saudi Arabia is praiseworthy. She had a chance to send a message, and she did not balk.
I was proud of her for that too. Go Michelle!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Didn't I just post about this on another thread?

She's not a Muslim, so why should she wear a scarf? If she were in a mosque, maybe...

Memo to Diane Sawyer: Chuck the head covering when you're over there. You look ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It has been my observation that most first ladies of recent presidents have a lot more moxie than their husbands.
They have different roles to play. Obama has to deal with these people diplomatically. Michelle can make a statement. It's not like they are going to punish her for it. I wonder if anyone in Saudi will ever even see the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies