Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American's living above their means?
Yes, well above. 55 67.90%
Yes, slightly above. 17 20.99%
No, right on budget. 6 7.41%
No, slightly below. 2 2.47%
No, well below. 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:00 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Many are.......yes.

I remember drilling a well for one new home.........it was big and really nice.

Likely $500,000 or, more.

As I talked to the people I thought they owned a restaurant......nope.......he is a prep-cook.....she does home healthcare.

Three years last I see the home in foreclosure.
Was that during the rush where they'd sell a home to anyone? People making 50 combined were buying 500K homes that were on those adjustable mortgages and they all lost their homes. Basically cheap rent for 2-3 years until it adjusted, they walked and we taxpayers footed the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 05:04 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Watching Hgtv and seeing all the huge houses that these families buy or want for multiple hundreds of thousands had me thinking, do we require too much for the American dream? ....
HGTV is nothing but a shill for the corrupt real estate industry. This is an industry that is quite happy to push people into homes they can't afford all so they can collect the commissions.

As far as HGTV is concerned, their shows like House Hunters are completely staged. They only take couples who have already bought a house, and the other two homes are there for show.

It's a big sham.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Absolutely people live far beyond their means for no good reason. Few families need a 2500+ sq. ft. house, starbucks all during day and night, and a closet as big as a small bedroom for all her clothes. And don't forget the legions of women who need a 5 or 6 person SUV to go shopping or take her two kids to daycare/school. I was stunned several years ago when my son told me about all the fancy cars that kids were driving to school. When I was growing up, only the wealthy kids had parents who provided such. Most of my friends and I had to buy our own cars with the money we earned ourselves. Most of us first bought a beater, and we were thrilled to have that. I never did end up taking my own car to HS. I took the bus my whole senior year as did many of my friends.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I voted WELL ABOVE.

I have a friend who bought a house in Austin after relocating from NY. So instead of pocketing the huge profit they made on their home in NY, they put it all into a 5000 sq foot abode in Austin. 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, media room with theatre chairs, the works.

They're 2 people, no kids, and don't want kids.

So while yes, they can afford it, we did Facetime after she was in the home for ~ a year and room after room after room were completely EMPTY.
That sounds crazy to me but if they can afford it that is not living above their means. I see that big a house as endless cleaning.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
I watch HGTV and I am amazed no one talks about the cost of heating and cooling these enormous homes.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:25 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I don't live large per say. I own two homes but they are not 3000 square foot ... I don't like maintenance and there is always maintenance.. The more you own the more to take care of.. when becoming a homeowner it is a big responsibility.

My home in Florida is 1800 sq. ft.. I could have bought more of a house but I didn't want to. I bought the lot behind my house because I didn't want anyone that close to me.. but I have to take care of it.. and with the lanai I have @2500 sq ft total to maintain..

One must think of the responsibility of whatever they acquire. I don't care what my neighbors own . I live my life for myself, not to impress or keep up. I refrain from doing anything to the extreme. It really is a personal thing to what one chooses to do... I rather have more money in the bank than live to the extreme. Some people buy every new thing on the market. I am not an easy sell because I have learned to stay in a state of contentment. If I need something I can buy it.. I don't have any runaway wants like many people I have talked to in this day and age.

Life is a series of choices. I believe in living below your means and it will go well. I rather have a smaller house and keep it looking new than a mc mansion that looks run down.. and I have seen quite a few of them and many go back to the bank.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That sounds crazy to me but if they can afford it that is not living above their means. I see that big a house as endless cleaning.
and I stated that in this case, they can afford it. But it's ridiculously excessive - per the theme of this thread.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:37 PM

137 posts, read 144,274 times
If I didn't have enough money to have a full-time cleaning lady, I would own a 5-600 square foot apartment.

I don't know how or why middle class people live in 3K+ square foot homes. Either you spend an utterly ridiculous percentage of your life cleaning, or your house is filthy. No alternative.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:39 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think a lot of people still believe that the value of their home will increase above the rate of inflation. Many experts say it is not true, many say housing is still a pretty good investment.

I think investment might be the reason why people buy houses they cannot afford or don't need. Owning a house to a lot of people is a symbol of accomplishment.
Buying has a much, much much better ROI than renting.
so if buying, nor renting is a good investment, then I suppose we all should be homeless
what do homes do for us anyway?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The word brainwash conveniently absolves people of taking responsibility for their stupid decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies