Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times

Advertisements

Ideal liberal description of a suspect: “it was a person.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
What's the fascination with poo all about?

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others."
"It is the same when you are stupid."
Anon.
In short your rebuttal was more or less "you are a stupid poopy head".

I'd like to thank you for that, I love irony and that made me chuckle.

If you are looking for some non-anonymous quotes that might work better for you, here are some for you to choose from. I think this source will really fit the bill.

Foghorn Leghorn Quotes

Old 01-30-2015, 07:58 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I can't imagine my child having a gun drawn on him while minding his own business in college. I'm sure it was scary.
But as a journalist, Blow should have known better than to spout off on Twitter before he had control of his emotions. I would expect the same from the police officer.

I'm just a normal person with a few hundred FB friends, and I still make sure I don't post anything while I angry or upset.
Good points but the key word in all that is "journalist".

It just doesn't mean what it used to. Heck, the actual use of "twitter" is pretty unjournalistic.

Anymore even the journalists report first and correct second because it's better to be first and wrong than second in the ratings rush.

So, I have no expectation of "journalists" waiting for facts and making reasoned claims and assertions....it's just blast stuff out there without a filter fast and furious.

In short, Mr. Blow didn't do anything on a personal level that the networks don't do with their actual news coverage. Sad. Very sad.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The cop is said to have introduced himself by pointing a gun at the kid's back and telling him to stop. That's bad policing, plain and simple.

Well, what if the kid were deaf, or had earbuds in? We've seen that before, and the answer is often "shoot the person in the back."
So you want to play the "what if" game. What if the kid had turned around and shot the cop because he was unprepared? What if the kid had just plain assumed he was above the law and ignored the officer? A gun draws attention rather quickly.

Besides, the officer was black and we all know that a black officer would never shoot a black kid suspected of breaking the law, right?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
This was first put out as a case of being black while at Yale. What it turned out to be was a case of matching the description of the criminal while at Yale. The man who tweeted should be mad at the man who matched his sons description not the police.

ETA Maybe he did have a right to be mad about his son being ordered to the ground at gunpoint if that is in fact what happened. But do we know enough facts. What if the person the police say was the criminal and turned and pulled a gun? What if the student had turned and reached into his pocket for his school ID and a jittery officer shot him? Maybe it was the right action.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Do you think that his cop would have immediately pulled his gun on a white guy who was suspected of a nonviolent crime and order him to the ground, on a college campus, who was likely carrying a book bag of some sort? Charles Blow likely disagrees, and I strongly suspect he's correct.
You appear to be trying to play the race card (white student vs black student) when there is no evidence to support your attitude.

Speak about racism.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times

Technically -

The issue . . .with cops isn't the color of the cops. Evidence does suggest that all cops, regardless of their skin color, make these decisions with bias.

that strip club shooting in NJ (unarmed bachelor party) was initiated by a black cop.

so - the hypothesis noted here - is flawed

can black cops be influenced by racial bias against their own race

- the answer is yes.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:39 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
"Blow published a series of racially-charged Tweets followed by a racially-charged Times column."

Wanna bet nothing is done to him by the NYT's.

When a white in the media says something the PC crowd doesn't like the whites are fired, etc.

Jimmy The Greek, Fuzzy Zoeller, comes to mind.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Is there anything the Left does that isn't a race hoax?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 AM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
I have never witnessed a group of people in the world so fixated on race than American liberals. I had a black professor in the US who told us that a country club he once golfed at misplaced one of his golf clubs, and that made him a victim of racism. Skin color is the be-all and end-all of some of these small minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies