Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You do realize the incubation period for measles is 7 to 21 days, not months, don't you? If measles came in with the immigrant children last year, we would have had cases of measles in those children and it would have been in the news, just like the Disneyland outbreak.

The "possible illegals" come from countries with better vaccination rates for measles than the US. The cases in Mexico this month were taken there by legal visitors to Disneyland.

Measles Outbreak 2015: Illegal Immigrants Not Linked To Outbreak, But GOP Congressman Mo Brooks Thinks It's Possible

"The countries from which most unauthorized immigrants come — Mexico and Central America — have childhood immunization programs. Mexico, in fact, has a 99 percent vaccination rate — which handily beats the US' 92 percent. Even assuming that unauthorized immigrants are disproportionately likely to be poor in their home countries and therefore less likely to be vaccinated, the odds are pretty good that immigrants from Mexico (or the "northern triangle" of Central America, where the vaccination rate is 93 percent) have gotten their shots."

We do not know who brought measles to Disneyland, but the people who are spreading it are American citizens.
Sure you just keep on thinking 3rd world countries do it better.....one country even Liberal! Measles and chicken pox outbreak didn't just happen this month.
Measles Outbreaks 2015 - Recent Outbreaks and Exposures

2014: The U.S. experienced 23 measles outbreaks in 2014, including one large outbreak of 383 cases, occurring primarily among unvaccinated Amish communities in Ohio. Many of the cases in the U.S. in 2014 were associated with cases brought in from the Philippines, which experienced a large measles outbreak. For more information see the Measles in the Philippines Travelers' Health Notice.
2013: The U.S. experienced 11 outbreaks in 2013, three of which had more than 20 cases, including an outbreak with 58 cases. For more information see Measles — United States, January 1-August 24, 2013.
2011: In 2011, more than 30 countries in the WHO European Region reported an increase in measles, and France was experiencing a large outbreak. Most of the cases that were brought to the U.S. in 2011 came from France. For more information see Measles — United States, January-May 20, 2011.
2008: The increase in cases in 2008 was the result of spread in communities with groups of unvaccinated people. The U.S. experienced several outbreaks in 2008 including three large outbreaks. For more information see Update: Measles — United States, January–July 2008.

http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Why are all of the "hands off my body!" Abortion advocates not supportive of the body rights when it comes to vaccination when abortion kills a human life almost 100 percent of the time and not being vaccinated just slightly raises the risk that a person will get a disease? Then there is an even more remote chance that they will give a disease to another and then an extremely small chance of that person dying.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:39 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Why are all of the "hands off my body!" Abortion advocates not supportive of the body rights when it comes to vaccination when abortion kills a human life almost 100 percent of the time and not being vaccinated just slightly raises the risk that a person will get a disease? Then there is an even more remote chance that they will give a disease to another and then an extremely small chance of that person dying.
Good question.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Sure you just keep on thinking 3rd world countries do it better.....one country even Liberal! Measles and chicken pox outbreak didn't just happen this month.
Measles Outbreaks 2015 - Recent Outbreaks and Exposures

2014: The U.S. experienced 23 measles outbreaks in 2014, including one large outbreak of 383 cases, occurring primarily among unvaccinated Amish communities in Ohio. Many of the cases in the U.S. in 2014 were associated with cases brought in from the Philippines, which experienced a large measles outbreak. For more information see the Measles in the Philippines Travelers' Health Notice.
2013: The U.S. experienced 11 outbreaks in 2013, three of which had more than 20 cases, including an outbreak with 58 cases. For more information see Measles — United States, January 1-August 24, 2013.
2011: In 2011, more than 30 countries in the WHO European Region reported an increase in measles, and France was experiencing a large outbreak. Most of the cases that were brought to the U.S. in 2011 came from France. For more information see Measles — United States, January-May 20, 2011.
2008: The increase in cases in 2008 was the result of spread in communities with groups of unvaccinated people. The U.S. experienced several outbreaks in 2008 including three large outbreaks. For more information see Update: Measles — United States, January–July 2008.

Measles | Cases and Outbreaks | CDC
You are just proving my point. The outbreaks are traced to people who travel legally to this country, and Most of them are returning American citizens. Measles is not being brought here by "illegals."

I believe our immigration laws should be enforced, too. But illegals just are not bringing measles, enterovirus, or whooping cough to the US.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
they want someone else to blame-- not themselves who are " pure"

Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are just proving my point. The outbreaks are traced to people who travel legally to this country, and Most of them are returning American citizens. Measles is not being brought here by "illegals."

I believe our immigration laws should be enforced, too. But illegals just are not bringing measles, enterovirus, or whooping cough to the US.
I am really not sold on illegals not bringing some of the problem to the US........call these people legal or illegal, how can they enter our country with no vaccine records?
Measles — United States, January 1–August 24, 2013

Measles elimination has been maintained in the United States since it was declared in 2000. However, an estimated 20 million cases of measles occur each year worldwide, and cases continue to be imported into the United States. The increase in measles cases in the United States in 2013 serves as a reminder that imported measles cases can result in large outbreaks, particularly if introduced into areas with pockets of unvaccinated persons.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Cool idea! In addition to the camps, we should mark them with gold stars they have to wear as well!

Liberal tolerance at it's finest
I find it darkly comical that these people who screech "my body, my choice" and have zero issues killing a baby suddenly want to control everyone elses body and show "concern" for children.

Hypocrites.

Nothing but sheep.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Ghostrider: I remember the iron lung as well. I was an early eater of the sugar cube with Salk's vaccine. Salk's goal was to help people. The vaccines today are produced with the hope they can be shoved into us by big pharmaceuticals making (what was that - billions or trillions of $$). We're in a different era. Priorities have changed.
The first one was a shot for me and the second/booster was the cube.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I am really not sold on illegals not bringing some of the problem to the US........call these people legal or illegal, how can they enter our country with no vaccine records?
Measles — United States, January 1–August 24, 2013

Measles elimination has been maintained in the United States since it was declared in 2000. However, an estimated 20 million cases of measles occur each year worldwide, and cases continue to be imported into the United States. The increase in measles cases in the United States in 2013 serves as a reminder that imported measles cases can result in large outbreaks, particularly if introduced into areas with pockets of unvaccinated persons.
Vaccination records are not required for tourists. Epidemiologists investigate every case of measles and most often are able to identify the "patient zero" - the first case. Those have been, in recent outbreaks, American citizens and legal visitors. Straining to place blame on illegal immigrants does nothing to help solve the problem of illegal immigration.

The patient zero for the Disney outbreak has not been identified. The incubation period for measles is up to three weeks. A tourist was most likely exposed in his home country, came to the US and exposed people at the park while he was infectious, then returned home before having any symptoms.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:27 PM

219 posts, read 331,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Like the poster you responded to I'm not against every vaccine, but am not going to blindly support everything Big Pharma tells me either because it's more of a racket than it is science. If you think Big Pharma is some benevolent institution that's got your health or best interests at the top of it's priority list you're very naive.

I've taken the MMR vaccine, my kids have had it, but still the frothy rage of some of these vaxxers is completely disproportionate to the actual threat. You mention the Disney outbreak, well show me how that has any link to Americans who chose not to take the MMR vaccine??? Just because you mention them in the same paragraph doesn't mean there's actually a link.

If you've had the two MMR shots in your lifetime the efficacy rate is 99%. The odds of you running into a person with no vaccinations, that has the measles and then gives it to you, despite your 99% efficacy rate are astronomical. You're more likely to be struck by lightening....twice....than to get the measles from a person who wasn't vaccinated. That's not even discussing the fact that the measles are just the measles, not the plague. You get sick for a few days and then you're better. No pandemic, no deaths, just fear of the boogeyman. It's important to understand how math, statistics and science actually work because right now you're being moved by irrational fear, something akin to superstition, not science or common sense.
Big corporations run everything. The clothes you wear, the food you eat, all services you and everyone else receives are all run by big corporations that make lots of money. Of course most corporations are interested in making money. Is this to say every one is bad? Are all restaurants, clothing retailers, etc, bad because they want to make money? Your argument that Big Pharma is only interested in making money and therefore its products are bad is flawed logic. I guess I will stop wearing clothes because these companies are only interested in making money off of me?

Judge the product. Judge the vaccines themselves. All the scientists and experts recommend vaccinating. Do you think you know better? You think you can just rely on internet research to determine which vaccines are good or bad? Which one you think you'll take? In my opinion this is what it comes down to. Arrogance. This is why most anti-vaxxers are wealthy and educated. This is why the anti-vax movement is scary. People like Steve Jobs or Ray Kurzweil; brilliant, but arrogant. They believed they knew "better" than modern scientists and doctors. Using intelligence to rationalize poor judgement is a very scary thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies