Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I've never seen a crowd of moviegoers react to a movie like American Sniper. At the end of this movie, everyone was silent. As everyone was exiting you could hear a pin drop, many had tears in their eyes. Everyone was beyond polite to one another, letting folks exit the aisles in front of them. All in silence. Great film.
Well said. That's exactly the mood I felt and experienced right after seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
More deflection I see, Limbaugh IS NOT the de facto Conservative leader, he's only a talk show host.

I and many others DON'T watch his show or pay much attention to him, just as Al Sharpton is not the point man for Liberals.
Rush Limbaugh is the Godfather of American Conservatism.

You may not like him, but the GOP loves him, and seeks his blessing.

Haven't seen the movie, I'm sure it's okay, but I'll watch it. I find it quite peculiar and also quite telling that someone who bragged about killing 160 people in an illegal invasion of an innocent nation is viewed as some kind of hero by most of America, but after two terms of George Walker Bush, I knew this country was seriously messed up anyway, so I"m not surprised by it.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The movie has nothing to do with love or hate for America. It's not a patriotic film...i don't know why Conservatives keep trying to work that angle.
For years, they thought "Born In The U.S.A." by Springsteen was patriotic too, just like they thought Stephen Colbert's talk show was real.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
For years, they thought "Born In The U.S.A." by Springsteen was patriotic too, just like they thought Stephen Colbert's talk show was real.
I have seen many on here from both sides diss John Fogerty.......the man served in the National Guards, yet many don't even know this. I think his last sentence is more powerful than any statement about our military this administration has made.

Fogerty continued, "Years ago, an ultraconservative administration tried to paint anyone who questioned its policies as 'un-American.' That same administration shamefully ignored and mistreated the soldiers returning from Vietnam. As a man who was drafted and served his country during those times, I have ultimate respect for the men and women who protect us today and demand that they receive the respect that they deserve."

Can you tell me were Democrats stood behind the Springsteen song by making the Veterans Hospital a better place? How about Dems honoring those who were sent away by no means of their own? War is never voted on by the people, we just have people willing to go to hell for the rest of us.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Can you tell me were Democrats stood behind the Springsteen song by making the Veterans Hospital a better place? How about Dems honoring those who were sent away by no means of their own? War is never voted on by the people, we just have people willing to go to hell for the rest of us.
Firstly, I agree completely with most of what you wrote. (Not sure I follow the first part of the quote)

Secondly, I love Fogerty and his work with C.C.R and his later solo work. His music speaks to Vietnam like no other artist of his time.

Vietnam was supposed to be the war we learned from, but from 2002 to today, we clearly learned nothing.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
There is at least one American sniper, who was also in Iraq, who didn't like the movie.

Quote:
As a sniper I was not usually the victim of a traumatic event, but the perpetrator of violence and death. My actions in combat would have been more acceptable to me if I could cloak myself in the belief that the whole mission was for a greater good. Instead, I watched as the purpose of the mission slowly unraveled.

I served in Iraq from 2004 to 2005. During that time, we started to realize there were no weapons of mass destruction, the 9/11 commission report determined that Iraq was not involved in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, false sovereignty was given to Iraq by Paul Bremer, the atrocities at Abu Ghraib were exposed, and the Battle of Fallujah was waged.
I was an American sniper, and Chris Kyle

Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
More deflection I see, Limbaugh IS NOT the de facto Conservative leader, he's only a talk show host.

I and many others DON'T watch his show or pay much attention to him, just as Al Sharpton is not the point man for Liberals.
Rush Limbaugh has been the leader of the Republican Party and ALL conservatives since 1992 at least. You know this to be true.

He was almost singlehandedly responsible for the Republican takeover of Congress in 1994. Republicans have been swearing their allegiance to him ever since.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:59 PM

141 posts, read 162,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There is at least one American sniper, who was also in Iraq, who didn't like the movie.

I was an American sniper, and Chris Kyle
One of his main purposes was protecting his own. You're the guy the enemy fears and hates. The most hated soldier on the battlefield. When your own need that one shot to count the man hidden is always the one they count on. They can't see you, nor can the enemy. They hear the shot and the bad guy drops often times saving friendly lives. It's one of the most heroic and rewarding jobs.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Rush Limbaugh has been the leader of the Republican Party and ALL conservatives since 1992 at least. You know this to be true.

He was almost singlehandedly responsible for the Republican takeover of Congress in 1994. Republicans have been swearing their allegiance to him ever since.
That's true, anybody who wants to be a player in the republican power circle has to sign a contract with Grover Norquist and kiss Rush Limbaugh's azz.
Grover can finish you in your home district and Rush can finish your career nationally.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Its honestly not that great of a movie, maybe i feel that way because so many people over hyped it, but it just wasnt the Oscar film people had claimed.

That being said, Bradley Cooper was awesome in the role. This movie is the first time i really understood how an actor could be nominated for best actor, but the film not be nominated for best film( even though this one had both)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies