Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The original book about 'Generations' by Strauss and Howe lists the following generations:

•Arthurian Generation (1433–1460) (H)
•Humanist Generation (1461–1482) (A)
•Reformation Generation (1483–1511) (P)
•Reprisal Generation (1512–1540) (N)
•Elizabethan Generation (1541–1565) (H)
•Parliamentary Generation (1566–1587) (A)
•Puritan Generation (1588–1617) (P)
•Cavalier Generation (1618–1647) (N)
•Glorious Generation (1648–1673) (H)
•Enlightenment Generation (1674–1700) (A)
•Awakening Generation (1701–1723) (P)
•Liberty Generation (1724–1741) (N)
•Republican Generation (1742–1766) (H)
•Compromise Generation (1767–1791) (A)
•Transcendental Generation (1792–1821) (P)
•Gilded Generation (1822–1842) (N)
•Progressive Generation (1843–1859) (A)
•Missionary Generation (1860–1882) (P)
•Lost Generation (1883–1900) (N)
•G.I. Generation (1901–1924) (H)
•Silent Generation (1925–1942) (A)
•Baby Boom Generation (1943–1960) (P)
•Generation X (1961–1981) (N)
•Millennial Generation (1982–2004) (H)
•Homeland Generation (2005–present) (A)

Based on this one, the worst generations, world-wide, were the ones responsible for WWI and WWII, as they ruled during those times, which were the Progressive, Missionary and Lost Generations.
this is our generation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss...ational_theory
from BB onwards:
BEWARE OF IDEALISTS:

Millennial Saeculum (65+)
Baby Boom Generation Prophet (Idealist) 1943–1960 (17)[45] High: Superpower America
"13th Generation"
Generation X1 Nomad (Reactive) 1961–1981 (20) Awakening: Consciousness Revolution
Millennial Generation2 Hero (Civic) 1982–2004 (22)[46] Unraveling: Culture Wars, Postmodernism
Homeland Generation3,4 Artist (Adaptive) 2005–present Crisis: Great Recession, Climate Change, War on Terror

read this from wiki:
Archetypes[edit]
The two different types of eras and two formative age locations associated with them (childhood and young adulthood) produce four generational archetypes that repeat sequentially, in rhythm with the cycle of Crises and Awakenings. In Generations, Strauss and Howe refer to these four archetypes as Idealist, Reactive, Civic, and Adaptive.[40] In The Fourth Turning (1997) they update this terminology to Prophet, Nomad, Hero, and Artist.[41] The generations in each archetype not only share a similar age-location in history, they also share some basic attitudes towards family, risk, culture and values, and civic engagement. In essence, generations shaped by similar early-life experiences develop similar collective personas and follow similar life-trajectories.[42] To date, Strauss and Howe have identified 25 generations in Anglo-American history, each with a corresponding archetype.[43] The authors describe the archetypes as follows:

Prophet[edit]

Abraham Lincoln, born in 1809. Strauss and Howe would identify him as a member of the Transcendental generation.
Prophet generations are born near the end of a Crisis, during a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis.[44]

Nomad[edit]
Nomad generations are born during an Awakening, a time of social ideals and spiritual agendas, when young adults are passionately attacking the established institutional order. Nomads grow up as under-protected children during this Awakening, come of age as alienated, post-Awakening adults, become pragmatic midlife leaders during a Crisis, and age into resilient post-Crisis elders.[44]

Hero[edit]

Young adults fighting in World War II were born in the early part of the 20th century, like PT109 commander LTJG John F. Kennedy (b. 1917). They are part of the G.I. Generation, which follows the Hero archetype.
Hero generations are born after an Awakening, during an Unraveling, a time of individual pragmatism, self-reliance, and laissez faire. Heroes grow up as increasingly protected post-Awakening children, come of age as team-oriented young optimists during a Crisis, emerge as energetic, overly-confident midlifers, and age into politically powerful elders attacked by another Awakening.[44]

Artist[edit]
Artist generations are born after an Unraveling, during a Crisis, a time when great dangers cut down social and political complexity in favor of public consensus, aggressive institutions, and an ethic of personal sacrifice. Artists grow up overprotected by adults preoccupied with the Crisis, come of age as the socialized and conformist young adults of a post-Crisis world, break out as process-oriented midlife leaders during an Awakening, and age into thoughtful post-Awakening elders.[44]

So it seems out of all of these it is the

HERO
and
Artist

that really fixes everything up
for the idealist to screw up.
The Idealist generation just SCREWS SOCIETY up

The Hero generation now has to lay down their lives to fix up the BB generation greed + Idealism.

Basically the idealist gen-wanted to be world police + give everyone welfare
now here we are needing to FIX THEIR MESS.

as the kids of the Hero generation
learn the hardships of the Hero generation they become more responsible adults

sounds about right

Last edited by gen811; 02-01-2015 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
the silient generation was know as the "war" generation that lived through the great depression and WWII.
Best gernation that lived in modern times!

baby boomers are the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
There are always controversial articles about the generations, especially about ideas concerning the worst one.

Here are the currently living generations:

1. GI Geners (1901 - 1926).

2. The Silent Generation (Born 1927 - 1945).

3. The Baby Boomers (Born between 1946 and 1964.

4. Gen Xs (Born between 1965 and 1980).

5. Gen Ys (Born between 1981 and 2000).

6. Gen Zs (Born after 2001).

You can read about the "characteristics" of each gen on this link. They have been defined based on the goings on during their particular growing periods which have been influenced by quite a few things.

Do you agree with what they say about your gen in the article? Do you think there's a best and worst one?

The Six Living Generations In America - Marketing Teacher

Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
the baby boomers DID NOT INVENT THE INTERNET!
The internet was invented in 1958 and it was called DARPA! Baby boomers were to busy getting high and protesting to be bothered to do something constructive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
So you think the generation that gave you the internet, amazing medical advancements, and technology is the worst generation? We can do things today that were once only the dreams of the boomers. I think history will record the boomers as a generation that changed the world. I'm amazed at what the boomers have done. I'm a tail end boomer so I ride their coat tails but I've seen amazing changes in my lifetime. I'm kind of sad to see that the generations coming after me are doing with it. It seems to be all about fun, games and entertainment for them. You can learn ANYTHING sitting in your pajamas at home thanks mostly to the boomers. Yet people take it for granted.

Someday a generation will come along that actually uses what's out there to learn all that they can. What a generation that will be. I wish I had the internet when I was young. I read the encyclopedias back to back and lived at the library because that's all I could do. I'm sad for young people who don't use this wonderful gift that has been handed to them. They can learn anything they want any time of the day at their own pace. As you get older and life happens you find yourself without the time to do this. Personally, I'm looking forward to becoming an empty nester. For the first time in my life since I first graduated from college I'll be free to pour myself into my career and my own personal development and I'll have this wonderful tool to do it with. I can become an expert at what I do and learn anything I want. How cool is that?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think needs to wait and see what generations accomplish versus what they did to do it really. No generation beyond the called greatest generation is thru yet really. Certanly the current is the Whines a lot about others. Certainly much more violent than any generation we have seen and conflicted among themselves.
Gee, that sure seems to be the case!

Hey, Millennials, Can You Guess What's Most Likely to Kill You Next Year?
Hint: It's violent. Second hint: Not a car crash

Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
There are always controversial articles about the generations, especially about ideas concerning the worst one.

You can read about the "characteristics" of each gen on this link. They have been defined based on the goings on during their particular growing periods which have been influenced by quite a few things.

Do you agree with what they say about your gen in the article? Do you think there's a best and worst one?

Most people will think their generation was the best and the generation farthest from them the worst

Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:

Is there a best/worst generation?

NO

Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
i would say the worst generation is my generation, those that came to adult hood in late seventy early 80, those in power today. and i blame it all on the liberal agenda of the late 70's. instead of purnishing for crime it was 'Time out" instead of getting a skill and learn a trade it was, let smoke a joint. Im talking about the era after the vietnam war with the so called hippy generation, the dope smoking, let the government take care of us, the I'm not responsible for my actions. One good thing that came out of it was the civil right progress but i feel that has gone downhill major in the last 8 years.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I'm not sure what the OP meant by "best" generation. Based on what criteria other than some nebulous character traits listed in an article?

My boomer generation ushered in so many social changes which, in my opinion, were mostly for the good. Boomers have had it the "best" in the history of the country in terms of life choice options and education.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Oh no, the horror! Teaching kids to toss their junk into the recycling instead of the trash and having them not waste water? Outrageous. Someone should go to jail for that kind of liberal progressive indoctrination.

That statement from the article is nothing more than a completely baseless assertion backed by nothing other than the writer's own personal agenda.
I laugh at those who take the high road thinking that the "newer" generation was the first to recycle etc.

As a boomer I remember cashing in "returnable" bottles. Haven't seen any of that from the newbies.

We re-used the mikl bottles via the milkman who came to the door.

We reused our grocery bags, taking ours with us to the store.

We also used grocery bags to make covers for our school books.

We saved all of our newspapers and gave them to the Boy Scouts at their annual paper drive.

etc., etc., etc.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, MY generation = the best generation while the one just before mine is the worst because they messed everything up for MY generation.

I'd have to go with the generation that created the technology that everyone enjoys today. They really changed the world. That would be a mix of baby boomers and Gen X heavy on the boomers. I don't know that there is a worst generation but I am concerned for the current generation that only seems able to use what others make for them rather than invent things themselves. It seems their "productivity" is centered around entertainment (You tube channels, social media, etc, etc, etc...) rather than producing something that will last but they are young and it is yet to be seen what they will do with the gift they have been handed.
"I'd have to go with the generation that created the technology that everyone enjoys today."

You left out a few, like the light the industrial revolution, you do use them don't you?, the assembly line which gave us the modern automobile, truck, etc,

EACH generation has contributed greatly by building on what was given them before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies