Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
In the immortal words of George Carlin :

Sex is legal..selling is legal, why shouldn't selling sex be legal?

I don't see the difference anyway I've never known a woman in my life that goes out with a guy that isn't spending money on her. All men are paying for it in some way. If women want to change the gender roles I'll gladly let you take me to an NHL or a concert just don't expect me to put out I'm not that easy lol.
All men pay for sex, but women just feel better about it if the payment comes in the form of food, gifts, vacations, outings, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
What does YOUR morality have to do with me? I guess if a woman wants to give it up for free OR be taken out for dinner and a movie first, it's okay? Or should that be illegal too?
Obviously, Nothing.

Your problem is not with me, pal....it's with YOU !!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:25 AM

128 posts, read 203,199 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/ny...says.html?_r=0

According to the Vera Institute of Justice, the annual average taxpayer cost per inmate is $31k. It's $47k in California, $60k in New York State, and $168k in New York City to feed, house, and guard each inmate for one year! What's most irritating is that most arrests in the US are not for murder, rape, or burglary, but for petty offenses such as possession of drugs, prostitution, loitering, driving with suspended licenses, drinking in public, urinating in public, and having an attitude with a police officer.

Of course, some petty offenses are more serious than others, but a large percentage of these should just result in fines, not prison time. There's a lot of time and money wasted in the criminal justice system over things that are perfectly legal in much of Europe and elsewhere. People shouldn't be confined to lifetimes of low-wage work because their records show they were arrested for having sex with a prostitute. You could be falsely arrested and immediately released or never convicted, but it's still staying on your record, and potential employers typically won't make the distinction when your history says you've been arrested.

Prostitution is actually legal in many countries that are much more socially conservative than the US. In Turkey, for example, prostitution is legal in brothels, yet most Turks don't even have premarital sex.

I do see an argument for separating certain drug abusers from the rest of society. A very large percentage of serious felonies, especially burglaries, are committed to support drug addictions. Abusers of hard drugs are somewhat like drunk drivers in that they haven't directly harmed anyone else by their substance abuse alone, but they do pose such a significantly higher threat to the lives and property of others that it should be addressed differently. However, there are also many people who use hard drugs responsibly, and I don't want my tax dollars wasted on treating them like real criminals.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:51 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Prostitution is already legal in some counties in the United States. The real reason prostitution isn't legalized is because Democrats are worried about losing women voters and Republicans are worried about losing religious voters (which is funny because were prostitution is legal in Nevada the areas are strongly republican). We already have a great working model of how to legalize prostitution in the United States so it wouldn't be like we were inventing the wheel or anything. It's just do to stigma and feminist and religious groups opposing legalizing prostitution that it isn't legalized throughout the US. Prostitution was legal and common in the United States until the beginning of 20th century when there was a crackdown on prostitution due to the spread of sexual diseases. Hell the union army during the civil war ran brothels in New Orleans to keep VD down and made a profit doing so.

As far as drug use goes we already know how to handle people driving under the influence of narcotics so it's again not like we are inventing the wheel here. We could legalize drugs or at least weed and things wouldn't majorly change for the worse. You can argue how much if any good it would do but it definitely would make more sense to legalize weed and other drugs at this point vs keeping them illegal.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Yes/yes.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:05 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
So much time, and money has been thrown at both problems for many, many years. Prostitution, well for centuries! Drugs, more recently.

Some countries in Europe have legal prostitution. I believe in Holland, the area in Amsterdam is quite a tourist attraction. My son has been there with his girlfriend, and says the girls sit in a sort of individual shop window to be perused by possible customers. It all seems to run smoothly without problems. In my town here in England, the authorities have quietly allowed an industrial area, which is deserted at night, to be allowed to be used for prostitution. The girls gather there, and guys in cars go there to do business. I have walked through there, during the day I may add....... It is then just an area of small factories operating normally.

My opinion about this, is as long as it is confined to this one area, away from homes and children, well I guess that's ok. There is obviously a demand, and dealt with this way, there seems to be few problems. I remember years ago, reading about police raids on such called 'massage parlours.' Don't hear of them nowadays..... may be they've gone out of fashion! I guess I think really, it's none of my business, or really the police's either. As long as it's run in a quiet way, not affecting anyone else. May as well legalize it and tax. Years ago, these women were arrested, and sometimes jailed. Why should this activity cost the taxpayer money?

As for illegal drugs....... well, I've watched the 'war' on drugs going on for many decades. We don't seem any nearer winning it than back in the 60s. What does interest me is the cost of this war, especially in the case of America. Billions spent, millions jailed. The highest jail population anywhere. Damage done to people for the rest of their lives with criminal records. I have never used illegal drugs, so I don't get the attraction. But many millions of people do like taking drugs. Authorities all over the world try to stop them. The punishments have grown with the decades, and so has the cost of fighting this.

The results? Well, as far as I can see is massive cost to taxpayers, and rich criminals. For some reason, governments seem unwilling to step back, decide what is being done is ineffective, and try to figure out a way of legalizing all drugs. I know a few states in America have legalized Cannabis, and I guess this needs to be studied for a few years to see how it affects society. More serious drugs like heroin and cocaine? Well, what we have now is all the damage, and non of the profits. If the so called war was working, I would agree carry on. But, it isn't is it? If the war hasn't been won by now, with billions thrown at it, and millions jailed, then surely it's time to look at another way going forward.

Maybe governments fear looking stupid. Having wasted all that taxpayers money, damaged lives from jailing, to suddenly say, "yep, we give up. Have your drugs." It is a distasteful business, and I can understand authorities preferring to fight this problem. To turn around, and become legal suppliers will be a hard pill to swallow. But, this way drugs could be less dangerous than now. We had a recent outbreak of deaths here in England, from contaminated ecstasy. Drugs could be made safer, like heroin not mixed with dangerous substances. Sold cheaply, this would result in a drop in crime, if only from muggings committed to get money to buy drugs. I would imagine many other crimes like burglary would lower as well.

No matter what we do, we have problems. Fears of increased drug use for one. But, my feeling is most people who want to use drugs already do so. It is a headache for sure whatever we do. But, unless we want to keep criminalizing people, and spending vast sums on fighting a war without end, we have to look at a different way forward. A real worry is, like in the days of alcohol prohibition in America, many in authority have been bought off by criminals. If they are profiting from this so called war, they will want it to carry on.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Yes/Yes
Yes/No
No/No
No/Yes

I thought about making a poll, but heck with that.
I don't think selling sex or selling pot/most light drugs is a big moral issue. I just don't.

These are legal in all sorts of countries. They haven't exploded into a hot mess.
Let adults be adults. Let's be responsible. Small government and all that.
Then again, maybe the USA can't do what other countries can do.
They can handle it. We can't.
I've thought about that before, too.

Maybe we just have to admit we aren't as good at handling things as the others.

yes/yes, as long as both have no pushers or pimps involved. buy drugs from a store, and prostitutes from a red light district.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Yes to both. We have better things to spend our money on than busting consenting adults having sex, rather paid for or not. And lets face it, sex is "paid for" in many ways. Prostitution avoids a long, drawn out dinner with boring conversation or a whole lot of drinks in a noisy crowded bar. As they say, a little less talk, a lot more action.

As far as the drug side, again, if legal, the only thing drug users/abusers hurt is themselves. Fine, their choice.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default what we will accept has nothing to do with math or logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Yes/Yes
Yes/No
No/No
No/Yes

I thought about making a poll, but heck with that.
I don't think selling sex or selling pot/most light drugs is a big moral issue. I just don't.

These are legal in all sorts of countries. They haven't exploded into a hot mess.
Let adults be adults. Let's be responsible. Small government and all that.
Then again, maybe the USA can't do what other countries can do.
They can handle it. We can't.
I've thought about that before, too.

Maybe we just have to admit we aren't as good at handling things as the others.
Selling drugs and and sex has always been looked at as a health issue. The results of both are devestating.

look what happens when we legalized alcohol, at least 10K ftraffic deaths a year to say nothing of the number of life time injuries that follow the survivors. We figure all the deaths, misery, pain and cost to society in terms of lost contributors and economic hardships is worth a sip.

If we accept all that then why not increase the misery and cost....but not before firearm laws are gutted and street racing is legal. What's a few more destroyed lives to toss on the carnage.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Sure. That's just what this country needs to put the final nail in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies